ALSV Dune Buggys

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Reading someone's travel blog I clipped this pic because I thought it would make an awesome ride and a good project some day. I know the person took the pic in a museum in the NW but that is about all I can remember of the details.

Attachments

• 8-6.jpg
    8-6.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 141

SVS

Observer
My Adventure Buggy

You'll like this Bug. 1965 Factory convertible, Full Cage-- Tied together from the front to rear torsion tubes. A and B pillars Corssbraced to the tunnel and tied together over the rockers. Very functional and kept the original body and pan intact. The three pillars are welded to the body at the dash, window frame, door frame and the package tray.

Fuel cell is a 10 gallon Jazz product sitting on the package tray behind the rear seat. Rear seat is made from 3/4" marine grade plywood. Used as storage and for kids and small adults.

I've owned it for 10 years and it's been everywhere; Mountains, Deserts and Sea....It's a blast. An awesome tow vehicle behind the motor home..

The Bug is a keeper.

269854212_HK8gy-M.jpg

266972454_X7yhF-M.jpg

213165976_7Ubjj-M.jpg

213164463_p2hdx-M.jpg

626328312_mEPaf-M.jpg

Bug and Trooper:
630881916_v4V9a-M.jpg

baca327

Adventurer
A hacked up budget baja bug with a good engine, and trans-axle rebuild and a small investment purchase from these guys http://www.vwturbokits.com/ on the dunes or in the desert pure insanity :drool:. Now i gotta find a cheap bug to begin my newest project, that is till the wife finds out and :ar15:(my idea of baja bug)

spencyg

This Space For Rent
DSCF0990.JPG

Are these street legal? Man would I love one of those to tow behind my rig....totally awesome!! Are the frames and suspension fully custom or is there the guts of some production vehicle hidden in there? If fully custom AND street legal, how do you acquire a VIN for registration?

Spence

timh

Explorer
I just sold all the parts I had acquired to build a buggy. I had these huge plans to buils an original Manx style buggy with mid-travel, coilovers, 6" wider track, and 2.2L Ecotec motor. After much anticipation and debate on how I was going to build it I finally deceided to scrap the project almost solely based on transaxle costs. Hard to want to build something when a quality transaxle costs so much more money than any other part on the vehicle.

I love buggies and still hope someday to have a nice one.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Would a standard FWD transaxle mounted to a transverse engine not serve the purpose well? I know it goes against the VW/Porsche-style transmission layout, but seems to provide the benefit of more standard components....???

Spence

timh

Explorer
Would a standard FWD transaxle mounted to a transverse engine not serve the purpose well? I know it goes against the VW/Porsche-style transmission layout, but seems to provide the benefit of more standard components....???

Spence

Honestly, I don't know. I have never seen it done and didn't really ever think about it!

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Honestly, I don't know. I have never seen it done and didn't really ever think about it!

I would imagine just getting a Honda civic drivetrain would make for a mean buggy propulsion system. Obviously you'd have to play around with the CV shafts for good travel (Porsche 930 CV joints come to mind), but the whole thing would be reliable, and after some trickery with the shift linkage (assuming you're running a stick shift), it would be a drag and drop operation. I've also seen guys run a FWD drivetrain in rock buggies with the engine mounted longitudinally and the traditional left and right CV outputs on the transmission pointed front and back. With the proper axle gearing (either the front or the rear would need to be reverse rotation), this makes for a brilliant little 4WD package. Man...this has got me thinking...!!! :ylsmoke:

Spence

Lynn

Expedition Leader

Spence

There have been a number of kitcars that did just that.

Matter of fact, I think there are (or have been) Countach and Pantera replica kits that used the 400 - 500 in^3 V8 engine/transaxle packagage from '70's V8 FWD sedans, like the Olds Toronado.

'Course, that would be way too much hp/weight. Right? Or is that even possible?

The Chevy Beretta was offered with a 2.8L V6 and a 5-speed manual transaxle. I always thought that would be a good package for a light-weight, mid-engined vehicle. Or the 4.3L would probably mate up to that transaxle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman