Am i reading this correctly? 2016 taco still has rear drum brakes...

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I dont meed to buy for a couple years. Should have a decent idea if that canyon duramax is a decent truck or not. I have my doubts about it. At least with the toyota, as mentioned, it will go for the long haul

Dalko43

Explorer
It doesn't impress me either, typical conservative Toyota, but you can most likely run it up to 300,000 miles without much issue. Not sure I would trust the other brands to do that. Toyota knows that, why people keep on coming back.

You can run it to 300k miles, no doubt, but let's be honest, it's going to take some work and there is a greater potential for issues with that amount of usage....that is one area where diesels do have an advantage. 200k-250k miles is generally the mark where you need to do major maintenance or a full rework of gas engines.

The diesel Colorado looks good...but not for $40K...since they only have it have available on the higher trim packages. You can get a pretty nice fullsize for that, heck $10K less than that...

Diesel fan boys will buy them though.

A a well-optioned diesel Colorado (in the Z71 package with many of the offroad goodies) is about $39k.

A well-optioned TRD Tacoma is about $36k.

I think Chevy knows exactly what they're doing with the Colorado and its pricing...they're looking to steal consumers from the mid-sized pickup market (which Toyota has had a near monopoly on up until now). We'll see how the Colorado fares in the long term, but so far it looks to be a competitive alternative to Toyota's 10 year old Tacoma.

Clutch

<---Pass
You can run it to 300k miles, no doubt, but let's be honest, it's going to take some work and there is a greater potential for issues with that amount of usage....that is one area where diesels do have an advantage. 200k-250k miles is generally the mark where you need to do major maintenance or a full rework of gas engines

It's the diesel's fuel pump, injectors, turbo, etc that are going to be expensive fixes when it is out of warranty. Can do a whole gas engine for the price of injectors of a diesel.

One of my gassers has 310K on the clock, runs great...other than doing a couple timing belts over the years...it hasn't needed anything.

Sure this subject has been beat to death..each has their pros and cons, pretty sure cost of ownership of a gasser is cheaper in the long run. Yeah the torque would be nice, but just by a fullsize with a V8....a lot cheaper upfront cost, and waaay cheaper to operate.

A a well-optioned diesel Colorado (in the Z71 package with many of the offroad goodies) is about $39k.

A well-optioned TRD Tacoma is about $36k.

I think Chevy knows exactly what they're doing with the Colorado and its pricing...they're looking to steal consumers from the mid-sized pickup market (which Toyota has had a near monopoly on up until now). We'll see how the Colorado fares in the long term, but so far it looks to be a competitive alternative to Toyota's 10 year old Tacoma.

Both are over priced for a little truck that can't really haul anything. I would be interested in the GM if I can get it for $30K, but with Chevy's pricing structure...be hard pressed to get it for under $40k. I can get a 1/2-1 Ton truck for that. I don't care about being "well-optioned", say something like a XL-XLT model Ford has more than I'll ever use.

At least Ram you can order the EcoDiesel in the work truck package. I have seen those price closer to $30K. That makes sense...but I don't trust it to go 200-300,000 miles, like a gas Toyota.

I do like GM's but they have had a fairly rocky past...they need to build trust like Toyota, but that takes years, and I am not getting any younger. ;)

If I was going to gamble with my money on truck other than Toyota for the long haul (10-15 years of ownership), it would the F150 with the 5.0 V8, seems like the best bang for the buck currently.

Last edited:

chmura

Adventurer
Drum brakes are more than adequate and I do not think its necessary to have regular rotors in the rear. I'm not an expert but If big rigs have drum brakes in the rear wheels and they haul 80,000 pounds, than I say there is probably a reason why Toyota is keeping the drum brakes in the rear. If you think about it there is more surface area of the brake shoes touching the drum than there is surface area of the brake pad touching the rotor. If anyone that does their own brake job they know this.

I guess people these days like shinny things and do not care about function...

forty2

Adventurer
The tacoma payload is only 1050lb??? What was the previous taco?

It gets even worse with certain model grades, straight from the owner's manual:

beQkUZ6h.jpg

Mine shows up in another month or so, I'm sure I'll be overloading it on a somewhat regular basis...

Clutch

<---Pass
Drum brakes are more than adequate and I do not think its necessary to have regular rotors in the rear. I'm not an expert but If big rigs have drum brakes in the rear wheels and they haul 80,000 pounds, than I say there is probably a reason why Toyota is keeping the drum brakes in the rear. If you think about it there is more surface area of the brake shoes touching the drum than there is surface area of the brake pad touching the rotor.

I guess people these days like shinny things and do not care about function...

The subject has been beat to death (like box frame vs. c-channel)...each has its' pros and cons...the ease of pad changes with discs, is a plus!! though I don't I have ever needed to replace the shoes on a rear drum brake equipped pickup...ok...I did once, but that was because of a leaky axle seal, and gear oil contaminated them.

I don't mind drums, because most of the time I am running empty...though if I carried a camper full time [FWC or similar], would want discs all the way around...truck of choice surely wouldn't be a Tacoma for that job, it would be a 1 ton.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
It's the diesel's fuel pump, injectors, turbo, etc that are going to be expensive fixes when it is out of warranty. Can do a whole gas engine for the price of injectors of a diesel.

One of my gassers has 310K on the clock, runs great...other than doing a couple timing belts over the years...it hasn't needed anything.

Sure this subject has been beat to death..each has their pros and cons, pretty sure cost of ownership of a gasser is cheaper in the long run. Yeah the torque would be nice, but just by a fullsize with a V8....a lot cheaper upfront cost, and waaay cheaper to operate.

310k on a gas engine which runs fine is an exception to the norm, not the norm, even for a Toyota. Diesel engines generally do last much longer than that. I'm sure we could go back and forth on the merits of rebuilding a gas engine at 300k miles versus maintaining a diesel up into 600k miles (which I agree would entail some cost)....but it is commonly accepted that diesel engines last longer than gas ones.

And a gas V8 might be cheaper to maintain, but it will most certainly cost more in terms of fuel...diesels are definitely more fuel efficient than a comparable gas engine, especially while towing....gas engines definitely suffer horrendously on fuel economy when towing or in any kind of stressful driving.

Both are over priced for a little truck that can't really haul anything. I would be interested in the GM if I can get it for $30K, but with Chevy's pricing structure...be hard pressed to get it for under $40k. I can get a 1/2-1 Ton truck for that. I don't care about being "well-optioned", say something like a XL-XLT model Ford has more than I'll ever use.

At least Ram you can order the EcoDiesel in the work truck package. I have seen those price closer to $30K. That makes sense...but I don't trust it to go 200-300,000 miles, like a gas Toyota.

Well before you were noting that only the Colorado seemed overpriced....the Toyota isn't far off.

I do think both the Ram EcoDiesel and the Chevy Diesel need to be given a fair chance before we start judging their durability. On the face of things, there is no reason why either engine shouldn't be able to go well into the 600k mile mark, which is completely unrealistic for an original gas engine. The only thing that gives me some pause about Ram's diesel engine is that it's an Italian design...we'll see how it fares in the long term.

Edit: And can we at least agree that Toyota held back on the most recent generation Tacoma? A 3.5L naturally aspirated engine with only slightly more horsepower than the last one, drum brakes, very similar frame, similar fuel economy....they're using the same formula they've been using for the last 10+ years....sooner or later I think Toyota owners will get sick of it and look elsewhere.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
The subject has been beat to death (like box frame vs. c-channel)...each has its' pros and cons...the ease of pad changes with discs, is a plus!! though I don't I have ever needed to replace the shoes on a rear drum brake equipped pickup...ok...I did once, but that was because of a leaky axle seal, and gear oil contaminated them.

I don't mind drums, because most of the time I am running empty...though if I carried a camper full time [FWC or similar], would want discs all the way around...truck of choice surely wouldn't be a Tacoma for that job, it would be a 1 ton.

We should talk about the frame again. :)

onemanarmy

Explorer
You realize that 99% of truck buyers couldn't tell you anything about the vehicle except what the payment is and how many cupholders it has.

Drums are fine for that.

Clutch

<---Pass
310k on a gas engine which runs fine is an exception to the norm, not the norm, even for a Toyota. Diesel engines generally do last much longer than that. I'm sure we could go back and forth on the merits of rebuilding a gas engine at 300k miles versus maintaining a diesel up into 600k miles (which I agree would entail some cost)....but it is commonly accepted that diesel engines last longer than gas ones.

And a gas V8 might be cheaper to maintain, but it will most certainly cost more in terms of fuel...diesels are definitely more fuel efficient than a comparable gas engine, especially while towing....gas engines definitely suffer horrendously on fuel economy when towing or in any kind of stressful driving.

Yep, we could go back and forth for an eternity. The topic has been beaten to death in the past, and most likely will continue.

The gas vs. diesel cost of ownership usually comes out in a wash. Me personally I would feel comfortable buying a Toyota with 100,000 miles on the clock, and most likely get another 200,000 miles out of it with out having to fuss with it much. A diesel...I would probably steer clear. I don't tow heavy so no need for a diesel for my use.

Well before you were noting that only the Colorado seemed overpriced....the Toyota isn't far off.

Yeah these light duty little trucks that got decent fuel economy, used to be the cheap alternative to fullsizes, that gap has gotten narrower. Since midsizes have gotten not so cheap anymore... and really, vehicles are horrible investments, you're going to loose money anyway you slice it...rather start off with not spending too much to begin with. ;) Looks like the cheapest 4WD Tacoma is $24K, yeah it is underpowered slug...but give me that one, I am not in a hurry anymore. :) The $10-15K I didn't spend on the well equipped versions buys an awful lot of fuel, beer, and tacos...pack it like it anal retentive weight weenie back packer and you'll be fine...who cares about payload and power numbers. I just want it to be mostly reliable and to get me where I want to go.

I do think both the Ram EcoDiesel and the Chevy Diesel need to be given a fair chance before we start judging their durability. On the face of things, there is no reason why either engine shouldn't be able to go well into the 600k mile mark, which is completely unrealistic for an original gas engine. The only thing that gives me some pause about Ram's diesel engine is that it's an Italian design...we'll see how it fares in the long term.

Think the engine itself will be fine, it is the other components that worry me...wouldn't own a diesel out of warranty.

Edit: And can we at least agree that Toyota held back on the most recent generation Tacoma? A 3.5L naturally aspirated engine with only slightly more horsepower than the last one, drum brakes, very similar frame, similar fuel economy....they're using the same formula they've been using for the last 10+ years....sooner or later I think Toyota owners will get sick of it and look elsewhere.

Yep, typical Toyota, playing it safe...though their design team must be on drugs though...that thing is hard to look at. Oh well, it is what it is.

Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
Clutch;1958100... in 10-15 years from now said:
I sold mine, I was at that point, but their was one more question into that. It was: man, how many more parts will I have to change to keep it going for the next year! Was a 93 with the 22r and 180 000 miles. My yj was way easier to maintain at the same milage and it was used in the trail, and never the toy!!!

Clutch

<---Pass
We should talk about the frame again. :)

Good lord! :D

I sold mine, I was at that point, but their was one more question into that. It was: man, how many more parts will I have to change to keep it going for the next year! Was a 93 with the 22r and 180 000 miles. My yj was way easier to maintain at the same milage and it was used in the trail, and never the toy!!!

I have determined, that everything is varying levels of crap....some crap is better than others, but it is all crap in the end. Eventually it will give you trouble. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad