Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Does it smell like oil or fuel?

Water drain valves, and fuel bowls are prone to leaking fuel. A simple O-Ring kit and some elbow grease will likely fig that.

-sounds like you e got the answer now. Add to your list the fuel bowl... It'll leak soon if it hasn't already been rebuilt.

yzeevy

Adventurer
insurance

Turns out that its not so easy to cover a CONVERTED ambo.
Specifically if you are going to live in it.
Any info ?
Thanks

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Turns out that its not so easy to cover a CONVERTED ambo.
Specifically if you are going to live in it.
Any info ?
Thanks

Insurance companies vary on what they will and won't cover. In my case the Ambo started life as a commercial vehicle. They do not care one little bit what you managed to get your state to register as, what it is in their eyes is all that counts. Mine started commercial and as far as they were concerned commercial it stayed unless I had a licensed or certified or some sort of " official" RV builder do the conversion.

Beyond that I had to state that there were no RV components in it. The underwriter rep went out of his way to drop enough hints so I could figure out what he had to hear officially. After that I was free to modify, just don't use the word camper or RV. Mobile office with convenience accessories. Job site command center with 24 hr facilities, blah blah blah. All in how you say it, much like how the garbage man is actually a Sanitation Engineer.

My insurance is still commercial, but the pricing was only dollars per month difference.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Insurance companies vary on what they will and won't cover. In my case the Ambo started life as a commercial vehicle. They do not care one little bit what you managed to get your state to register as, what it is in their eyes is all that counts. Mine started commercial and as far as they were concerned commercial it stayed unless I had a licensed or certified or some sort of " official" RV builder do the conversion.

Beyond that I had to state that there were no RV components in it. The underwriter rep went out of his way to drop enough hints so I could figure out what he had to hear officially. After that I was free to modify, just don't use the word camper or RV. Mobile office with convenience accessories. Job site command center with 24 hr facilities, blah blah blah. All in how you say it, much like how the garbage man is actually a Sanitation Engineer.

My insurance is still commercial, but the pricing was only dollars per month difference.

Exactly. Keep it licensed and insured as a commercial rig. The only caveat is commercial insurance is calculated based on the radius it usually drives from it's designated home location.

When they asked what the purpose of my ambulance would be I told them the truth, that it would be used as a personal work vehicle, for going to CostCo, home depot, hauling motorcycles and kayaks, etc.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Looks like I have to continue as commercial.

You could always try GoodSam rv insurance. GoodSam specializes in all things RV so they might have a niche they can stuff a converted Ambo. Just google Good Sam insurance and I'm sure it'll pop up. Worth a shot.

yzeevy

Adventurer
You could always try GoodSam rv insurance. GoodSam specializes in all things RV so they might have a niche they can stuff a converted Ambo. Just google Good Sam insurance and I'm sure it'll pop up. Worth a shot.
I think you have to be a member, like Costco.

patoz

Expedition Leader

Tom, this was going to be my suggestion also.

I called my auto insurance company and asked them about insurance on my camper, but they told me even thought it was a trailer it had to be a factory built RV/Travel Trailer, or they couldn’t touch it.

I also called Camping World and asked about the Good Sam Insurance Program, and you do have to be a member to get anything, however it's only $25.00 a year I believe. I’m fuzzy on this because it was a while back, but I think she told me I could get insurance as a self built RV of some kind, but I really don’t remember.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Well, that doesn't sound good. :(

I wonder if I'm going to run into the same situation with them, considering mine is a trailer?

patoz

Expedition Leader
It will cost you a phone call to find out . . .

I tried doing the free online quote last night, but couldn't complete the application because there is no 'Other' or 'Homemade' categories in the RV description section of the application. It wants to know the make, model, and year or the RV or Travel Trailer, and until you enter something in there from the drop down menus, you can't go any further. There was one category for 'Van Conversions' that I thought about trying, but that would not even be close for me since mine is now a trailer, and insurance for a trailer should be much cheaper than for a complete vehicle.

My regular auto insurance will cover it as far as liability goes if I'm involved in an accident while towing it, but it won't cover theft, fire, contents, installed equipment, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven