Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Well yeah, 200 Watts of charging power will be twice as effective as a single 100 Watt panel would be, especially if they are working every day, all day long.
Although, the last 3 days in my hood were rainy . . .

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Well yeah, 200 Watts of charging power will be twice as effective as a single 100 Watt panel would be, especially if they are working every day, all day long.
BTW Pat, I have a AM/FM, Cassette player radio.
How difficult might be to buy me a newer radio and install it myself ?

patoz

Expedition Leader
It's not difficult at all. A single or double DIN unit will fit, so that gives you more options if you want one with GPS navigation built in.

You will need a Ford radio removal tool set, which consist of two 'U' shaped stiff wires with barbs on the ends. These are needed for removal of the old one and installation of the new one. Sometimes, these will come with the new Stereo, so check before you buy a set.

When shopping for a new stereo for a vehicle, I usually start at Crutchfield Audio online, and use their 'OutfitMyCar' Tool to see what fits and what's involved. If you buy from them, they have plug-and-play wiring kits that will let you install the new stereo without having to cut into your vehicle's OEM wiring harness. Thier customer service and tech support is excellent also.

Note! Since Ford uses a proprietary mounting system (the quick release radio housing), it will have to be permanently modified in order to install an aftermarket Stereo.

1. The factory radio cannot be reinstalled once you've modified your vehicle's sub-dash.
2. You'll have to modify your vehicle's sub-dash to install a new car stereo.

yzeevy

Adventurer
It's not difficult at all. A single or double DIN unit will fit, so that gives you more options if you want one with GPS navigation built in.

You will need a Ford radio removal tool set, which consist of two 'U' shaped stiff wires with barbs on the ends. These are needed for removal of the old one and installation of the new one. Sometimes, these will come with the new Stereo, so check before you buy a set.

When shopping for a new stereo for a vehicle, I usually start at Crutchfield Audio online, and use their 'OutfitMyCar' Tool to see what fits and what's involved. If you buy from them, they have plug-and-play wiring kits that will let you install the new stereo without having to cut into your vehicle's OEM wiring harness. Thier customer service and tech support is excellent also.

Note! Since Ford uses a proprietary mounting system (the quick release radio housing), it will have to be permanently modified in order to install an aftermarket Stereo.
Thanks,
I already have noticed but why the F-450 is not known / familiar?
All the car listings end with F-350!
What kind of "body" do I have? Pickup? Super duty?
What kind of stereo would you recommend me to buy?

patoz

Expedition Leader
The 250, 350, and 450 bodies are all the same, just make sure you enter the correct year. Although, 1999 - 2004 bodies and dash are the same. The dash changed in 2005.

The 450 is probably not listed because it is primarily a work truck only.

Your body style would be considered 'Pickup', because the cab does not have any kind of rear seats.

As far as what kind of stereo to buy...the sky's the limit! It all depends on what you want it to do and what capabilities it will have. Basically, there are three different categories which are: Basic stereo, which some have a CD player; stereo with DVD video player; stereo with DVD video player and GPS Navigation. Some of the more advance also have Bluetooth so they can connect to your cellphone or MP3 player, some have a Satellite Receiver built in, etc, etc.

Most will put out about 35 - 40 watts, which is enough to drive 4 speakers at a reasonable level, but if you want to rock out everybody around you while sitting at an intersection, you will need some power amps.

Some have output 'zones' which will allow you to run a second set of speakers, which you may want to do unless you're planning on a separate stereo for the rear.

My suggestion is, figure out how much you want to spend, look through Crutchfield's page and see what is available, check reviews and prices on Amazon if they carry it, maybe narrow it down some from there, make a written list of what features you want, then call Crutchfield and talk to a salesperson to get all of your questions answered.

Choosing a stereo is a matter of personal preference, so there is no way I can tell you what to buy. One piece of advice though, don't choose a stereo that is totally touch screen. Pick one that has manual basic controls on the side or bottom of the screen, such as on/off, volume, and any other thing you may need in a hurry without taking your eyes off of the road. The screens can be hard to see, especially when there is glare present, and most are menu driven which requires a serious distraction from driving to navigate.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Thorough as usual !
I really don't have any interest in some psychedelic :wings: radio.
An mp3 / audio cd player and a good quality radio suits me fine.
I don't think watching DVD's while driving its my "cup of tea".
Maybe a new set of speakers.
A second set in the back sounds interesting.
I bought a new GPS with Bluetooth on it but if I install a radio with Bluetooth can I listen
to music from my cellphone without audio cable?

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I bought a new GPS with Bluetooth on it but if I install a radio with Bluetooth can I listen

When Bluetooth first came out, they said it was too slow to transmit music with any quality, but I know there are a lot of current computers and devices that use that medium specifically for that purpose now days.

You would have to read the specs for each unit to verify that's possible, or just ask the salesperson if you call Crutchfield.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

Yes. I do this all the time. I stream music and (more recently) podcasts directly from my android phone to my car stereo. More importantly, I have done this for years - this is not new technology at this point. Bluetooth 2.0 was introduced in 2004 and already supported A2DP/L2CAP for streaming. Bluetooth 3.0 came in 2009 and enhanced all of that and made it much more reliable. Any stereo and phone younger than about 5 years old should work very well.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yes. I do this all the time. I stream music and (more recently) podcasts directly from my android phone to my car stereo. More importantly, I have done this for years - this is not new technology at this point. Bluetooth 2.0 was introduced in 2004 and already supported A2DP/L2CAP for streaming. Bluetooth 3.0 came in 2009 and enhanced all of that and made it much more reliable. Any stereo and phone younger than about 5 years old should work very well.

Thanks for the updated information. I used to keep up with electronics and technology pretty well, but as I'm getting older other things seem to take priority. Since I will be upgrading my stereo sometime in the near future, this is valuable to me also.

:26_7_2:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Wasted space

I opened the sealing to make space for micro oven above the fridge.
Its amazing what kind of wasted space I found!
5-7 inches between the roof and the top of the cabinets
20160413_144049_01.JPG
20160413_144150_01.JPG
Of course its not insulated.
Now I have a new project on my hands

patoz

Expedition Leader
They're all built pretty much like that. It serves as a wiring chase and the dead air in between the layers does provide some insulation value.

yzeevy

Adventurer
They're all built pretty much like that. It serves as a wiring chase and the dead air in between the layers does provide some insulation value.
I went to Home Depot, bought some Polystyrene foam boards, slide in 2 layers of 1.5", filled foam wherever I could.
The micro fit in so accurately that I have decided to leave it there.
Friday I'm moving into an RV park until I'll sell my Nissan Sentra and then I'll be on my way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven