Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Friday I'm moving into an RV park until I'll sell my Nissan Sentra and then I'll be on my way.

Are you going to have internet access in the RV Park, so you can post updates?

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Upgrading the car stereo and speakers is something I put off for a few years, but MAN do I wish I did it sooner. It was really, really easy and the sound quality improvement was tremendous. It's great for long drives.

I highly recommend upgrading the front door speakers as well as the stereo deck. Pull the door cards off and measure the speaker size and depth. You want to make sure to buy a set that will fit into the factory speaker location without any fabrication.

As for the stereo head unit, all you will need is a wiring harness adapter and an installation kit. Both can be found on eBay for cheap. I spent around $100 on my stereo unit. It's basic but has all the essentials I need (blue tooth, front aux input, front USB input with iPod controls, and decently high RMS wattage output so I don't need an amplifier).

If you can buy the speakers, stereo, and mounting equipment it's an install you can do down the road on your travels in your free time.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Upgrading the car stereo and speakers is something I put off for a few years, but MAN do I wish I did it sooner. It was really, really easy and the sound quality improvement was tremendous. It's great for long drives.

I highly recommend upgrading the front door speakers as well as the stereo deck. Pull the door cards off and measure the speaker size and depth. You want to make sure to buy a set that will fit into the factory speaker location without any fabrication.

As for the stereo head unit, all you will need is a wiring harness adapter and an installation kit. Both can be found on eBay for cheap. I spent around $100 on my stereo unit. It's basic but has all the essentials I need (blue tooth, front aux input, front USB input with iPod controls, and decently high RMS wattage output so I don't need an amplifier).

If you can buy the speakers, stereo, and mounting equipment it's an install you can do down the road on your travels in your free time.
what kind of radio you bought ?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Dude, are you retired with an army of Ambo Elves assisting you, because you're bangin stuff out at a rate that makes the rest of us look like sloths on downers.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
what kind of radio you bought ?

It was a simple unit. DEH-X3600UI It's a few years old at this point but you can find a new one online or at a stereo retailer (Best Buy, Car Toys, etc). For me the front mount iPod and Aux input were important. It's a REALLY basic headunit with a somewhat barbaric display, but I don't buy a stereo to watch the head unit, I buy it to listed to music. Plus, it looks cheap so people are less likely to steal it.

yzeevy

Adventurer
It was a simple unit. DEH-X3600UI It's a few years old at this point but you can find a new one online or at a stereo retailer (Best Buy, Car Toys, etc). For me the front mount iPod and Aux input were important. It's a REALLY basic headunit with a somewhat barbaric display, but I don't buy a stereo to watch the head unit, I buy it to listed to music. Plus, it looks cheap so people are less likely to steal it.
The guys who installed my solar panels, highly recommended Pioneer, even before Sony.
Although Discontinued by Manufacturer the unit you bought is still running and he has all
I'm looking for and more.

Like, what is iPhone/iPod USB Support, Android Media Access, MIXTRAX . . ?
Are they trying to impress me or to scare me

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Pioneer makes solid stereos. I've used them almost exclusively in all of my daily drivers in my life until my newest car (has an awesome factory unit). Anything Pioneer is good. They are reasonably priced, reliable products.

iPod support just means that you can plug the USB end of your iPod cable into the deck and control the iPod using the stereo unit. It also charges the iPod while it's plugged in. The unit I bought doesn't have blue tooth though. It wasn't/isn't important to me as I don't take many calls when driving in my ambo (the work phone is turned off and the family is usually with me).

Write down what is important for you in a stereo, and then browse the Pioneer lineup to see which model has the functions you want and the lowest possible price. Newer models won't be much cheaper online, but models a year or two old will be significantly cheaper online than in stores. If you are in a store and find a unit you like, search for the model number on Amazon on your phone and see what comes up.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
It should also be noted that if you haven't installed a car stereo before you might want to watch some tutorials online or pay to have a shop install it. Even though it's a simple process, trying to figure out how the aftermarket mounting kit works can be like deciphering hieroglyphics. When I did my first install it took me several hours, and I'm pretty sure I only figured it out by accident after trial and error.

bobrenz

Observer
If all you want is a fairly standard radio (AM-FM-WEATHER-CD-EXTERNAL INPUT-SIRIUS XM), check with the parts department at a heavy truck dealer, such as Freightliner or IH. The Freightliner dealer near me buys Panasonic radios by the pallet. They told me that the vibration in work trucks will kill a radio in less than a year.

The radios are probably last year's model, but with a price of $95, I'm not complaining.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Oil leak

Hi,
So here I am stuck for the weekend in EUREKA, CA.
And here is the story . . .
About three weeks ago I took the truck to a mechanic to fix a HPOP leak.
Friday the 15th I sold my Sentra and next day I started my journey.
Two days ago I took off the 101 to take a rest and buy some stuff.
Immediately I noticed a trail of oil drops behind me and TWO big puddles under the engine.
Checked the stick and saw 2-3 millimeter of oil at the end!!
After a few phone calls I found a Diesel mechanic who was willing to check the problem.
Thanks to AAA the truck was towed free of charge.
The mechanics conclusion was that the leak is from the hose and nothing wrong with the pump.
The cost about $500 . . .
Next day he tells me that he couldn't see that before but the threads in the pump are ruin.
(by the previous mechanic, of course).
Ford sells rebuilt pumps for $1000 (two years / unlimited milage warranty) and all together - $1900
Of course he did not deducted the labor for the first unnecessary job.
We agreed that next morning, today, I'll come back for a checkup.
Although not like before but still leaking!!
Am I being ripped off ? ! ?

huskyhauler

Adventurer
I can't comment on the cost of the part, or if the threads are FUBAR or not, but you shouldn't expect one mechanic to discount the hourly labor rates or parts rates for work done by a different mechanic. You would need to negotiate with the initial mechanic for any warranty labor, which can be VERY difficult if an insurance company is not involved in the repair process.

If you are worried about being ripped off at the moment, find another shop and pay to have it towed and inspected. At least that way you will have two different quotes from two independent shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven