Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
20160626_214049.jpg]

This is the OVERLOAD management center which I always assumed it's part of the siren and light system.
Now I have noticed that his switch is off.
Turned it on and problem solved

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, that is the Shore Power main breaker I was talking about.

Glad you got it figured out.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There is a big learning curve working on these 'modified' rigs without instructions... That's what makes it fun :D

yzeevy

Adventurer
There is a big learning curve working on these 'modified' rigs without instructions... That's what makes it fun :D
Its fun when you are home and have time to play with that.
Its not so fun when you are in the absolute middle of nowhere and the closest mechanic is 80 miles away and you know that he is just waiting for you to skin you shamless . .

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There is an aspect I enjoy... But usually mostly cursing and swearing when things aren't working right.

The accessories in the box used to power up when there was oil pressure... Until suddenly they stopped working that way. Never figured out why, I wanted them to work when parked so I simply rewired a couple things so they'd be on when parked. Later I think I found the sensor later on... But that'll be for another day.

The more difficult one is the intermittent non-crank security feature... It has got better, but randomly it won't crank when the key is turned (until you wack the dash/steering column). I think I've got it narrowed down to the linkage that connects the ignition switch to the actual switch... It's about the only piece left in that collection I've not changed yet. I've got a spare, but installing it requires removing the Air Bag, Steering wheel, and a bunch of other bits and pieces... On the plus side I've got a spare air bag & steering wheel & column if something goes badly and the bag goes off.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Air Bags Suspension

In the last 5-6 weeks I have noticed that the Air Bags Suspension
loses power over night. Usualy it holds 3 days and then he drops.
I went to several places to try to find the leak.
One place we did find a small leak but it was obvious that this is
not enough to empty the system overnight. Beside that no one find leaks.
(not quite but that for later)
Since this is bothering me I tried to understand how the system works and
from there to understand why is this happening. I don't want to burn out the
compressor for overuse.
I think now I understand how this works and PLEASE feel free to correct me.
The system is like a gyro that adds or releases pressure as needed.
To add pressure he is using the air accumulated in the air tank.
When the the pressure in the tank drops to a certain level the compressor
is turned on and refills the tank.
NOW, about my problem . . .
When I am parking somewhere I turn the switch off, of course.
When I am in the back, in the "living room", and walk or do anything, the box
is swinging slightly from side to side.
Will it be possible that these slight swings are interpreted by the system as driving
and he RELEASES and ADDS PRESSURE from the tank as "needed" BUUUUTT when the pressure drops
the compressor wont turn on, since the switch is not in and that's the reason why in the morning the whole back is sitting about 3 inches lower ! ? ! ?

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
On your air bags:

I doubt it. It sounds like you have an automatic system that adds and releases depending on load, which changes the ride height, which is what most of these systems monitor in order to determine when to add or release. That being the case they usually have a delay built in so minor temporary changes in ride height aren't constantly triggering the compressor and/or release valve. Otherwise every time you hit a bump your system would be going nuts trying to compensate.

Sounds to me like you have a good old fashioned leak somewhere you just havent found yet.

yzeevy

Adventurer
On your air bags:

I doubt it. It sounds like you have an automatic system that adds and releases depending on load, which changes the ride height, which is what most of these systems monitor in order to determine when to add or release. That being the case they usually have a delay built in so minor temporary changes in ride height aren't constantly triggering the compressor and/or release valve. Otherwise every time you hit a bump your system would be going nuts trying to compensate.

Sounds to me like you have a good old fashioned leak somewhere you just havent found yet.
Sometimes when I stop for a minute to take a picture or so, I can hear the compressor working.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Spray bottle with soapy water... Or tree sprayer, to soak everything down. Likely a bunch of small leaks.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Hiiii,

I wonder how difficult / costly may be to remove the box and turn it into a pick up or a small truck ? ! ?
Who might be able to do the job?
How difficult / complicated might be to close the walk-thru opening?
And the big question . . . what to do with the box and the copper wires ? !
Thanks

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The box could be sold for scrap. The wall is flat. Enclosing it wouldn't be hard... Check out Chris at UJoints rig that is a cutaway with a deck... :D

UJoint has done it. Also a few others have pulled the box... It could make a good trailer with minimal effort.

Personally, I'd sell it whole and just get a truck.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hiiii,

I wonder how difficult / costly may be to remove the box and turn it into a pick up or a small truck ? ! ?
Who might be able to do the job?
How difficult / complicated might be to close the walk-thru opening?
And the big question . . . what to do with the box and the copper wires ? !
Thanks

That makes no sense what so ever! If you're tired of it sell it or trade it in, and then buy yourself a new truck.

Why destroy a vehicle that could be used by someone as it is, and who would really appreciate it? Besides, unless you're planning on hauling a bunch of weight around town every day, I don't think you want an F450 as your daily driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven