Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

rlrenz

Explorer
There's no way that a different mechanic would provide "warranty" for another mechanic's work.

Now for the prices:

Ford sells a new pump for $1000. That can be checked easily with a few phone calls. You might save some money with a used pump from a salvage yard, but you might also wind up installing a pump that's also defective.

$500 to find the source of the leak sounds like about 3 hours of time (plus shop charges, supplies, tax, etc). Depending how accessible the pump is, he may have had to remove parts just to get to the pump. He probably had to add oil and run the engine while he looked for the leak, possibly even a road test.

It sounds like an additional $400 to install a new pump - or about 2 hours when you again factor in shop charges, supplies, HazMat fees, oil, and the rest of the fine print stuff on a bill that everyone gets stuck with. Again, probably a road test to be certain the leak is gone.

Other than the pump, you were only paying for labor and miscellaneous parts/supplies.

gtbensley

Explorer
We are talking HPOP right? He wont discount the labor from the day before, time spent is money earned for him not matter if he only found part of the problem the first go around. If the threads are the issue on the pump, bring it up with the first shop who fixed it.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I think what he is questioning is the work by this latest mechanic. If I'm understanding correctly this mechanic charged him $500 to repair a leaky hose, and then the next day told him it's actually the pump that's leaking because previous mechanic fubared the threads of the pump, and now this mechanic wants another $1400 dollars to fix the pump. The OP is wondering why he paid $500 to fix a hose if the pump is actually the problem.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Hello everyone,

I am trying not to "eat my heart out", why ruin a great trip?
Location, location, location!
Eureka is located on the 101, one side the ocean the other side 100 miles of nothing.
Ones you are stuck, you are at their mercy.
The problem was solved and I am glad.
In three days I'll cross to Vancouver, BC.
If you like you can follow me at . . .
https://www.facebook.com/yzeevy
BTW, I paid twice to repair the AC, same mechanic, and it looks like I am
about to pay for the third time.
Luckily I'm on my way to Alaska.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I looked through the pictures on your FB page, and it appears you are seeing some pretty nice scenery!

yzeevy

Adventurer
I looked through the pictures on your FB page, and it appears you are seeing some pretty nice scenery!

Hello Pat, how are you,
I am in Homer Alaska and maybe you can advise me.
I have connected the generator thru the shore line and after a while,
maybe an overload, but I can't have 120 AC from outside anymore.
The generator is OK and the inverter provides 120 AC.
Appreciate your advise
Yishay Zeevy

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hi Yishay,

If I understand the problem correctly, with your generator plugged into the Shore Power Inlet you are losing power inside after a period of use. Is this correct?

If you plug in a cord from a campground post or another source to the Shore Power Inlet, does the same thing happen, or does that work OK?

When using the generator, it sounds like a breaker is tripping, either on the generator itself or in the ambulance somewhere. If you have a Vanner Inverter/Charger, check it for a tripped breaker when the problem occurs. The AC Shore Power usually runs through the Vanner Unit and then to the outlets. If everything was working but now you have no power inside at all, you will be looking for a blown fuse, or a breaker with a manual reset. Since you vehicle is not that old, it may have a separate AC breaker panel somewhere also.

I hope this helps.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Thanks for responding,

Usually when I connect anything from outside the inverter bypasses the 120ac to the outlates.
I can shut down the back INVERTER switch.

Now, it lookes like the shore connector is disconnected, like the wires are cut.

I hope it's clearer now

patoz

Expedition Leader
Now, it lookes like the shore connector is disconnected, like the wires are cut.

Well, I would try to find out what happened there, and look carefully to see if they are burnt off or just broken. If you're saying someone cut them, I can't help you there.

Once you check all of that, I would reconnect them, making sure they are good clean connections, and test everything again.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Good luck with that! I've been trying to get them to respond to my emails for over a year, and still haven't gotten a single reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven