Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
That's a hell of a lot of work, and expensive, to convert an ambulance to a truck. The frame of your rig is extended to fit the box. You will have a very hard time finding a stock bed that will fit. Plus your resale value of whatever you build will be rock bottom. Very few people are OK with aftermarket flat beds and whatnot. Sell the whole unit and buy a pickup.

yzeevy

Adventurer
The box could be sold for scrap. The wall is flat. Enclosing it wouldn't be hard... Check out Chris at UJoints rig that is a cutaway with a deck... :D

UJoint has done it. Also a few others have pulled the box... It could make a good trailer with minimal effort.

Personally, I'd sell it whole and just get a truck.
I am now in UTAH and UJOINT is in NC
I asked WHEELED COUCH they didn't bother to answer

Thanks to all

yzeevy

Adventurer
Hello all,
The truck is for sale, again!

What would be the best website to sell it?
It's on Craigslist and Expedition already.
How is Autotrader?
Thanks

yzeevy

Adventurer
Car Insurance

My agent furgot to start my auto payment and since beginning of MAY I am driving all over
Canada and N. U.S. WITHOUT insurance ! ! !
Now I have a problem that no one want to cover me, not as commercial and not as RV.
Any advise ? ! ?
Thanks

yzeevy

Adventurer
Hello, I'm back

After some thinking I have decided to make additional modifications to the AMBO . . .
1. Removing the original ceiling and cover it with wood strips or similar, gaining 3-4" in height!!
CEILING.jpg

2. Installing a two way fan.
The problem is that there is only 12" between the ceiling ribs and I need 14" for a Fantastic fan.
I am not so thrilled to cut out a section from a rib.
3. Installing a "window" A/C.
The AC will be installed in one of the cabinets and when it needed it will slide out thru an opening.
I need recomendations for a small reliable AC.
4. Installing a solar water heater for external shower and hot / warm water to the faucet.
The heater will be a black PVC 4-6" pipe, 4-5 gallons. Will have a separate pump.
I still need to decide about that.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thnks

Abitibi

Explorer
Are all your ribs 14" apart? On mine they varied and a couple were 14"...

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Sorry that was a typo, meant to say all 12"...
I'd just cut a rib. Look at it this way, a regular van has way less support...

yzeevy

Adventurer

I thought so.
I have a 5x11 feet ceiling with 2x2 ribs from side to side ONLY. No ribs from front to back.
Maybe I'll cut out a section of 1"x14" from two neighboring ribs and I'll ask someone to weld a piece for support.
BTW, what material would you recommend me to use to cover the ceiling?

huskyhauler

Adventurer

Well, to be fair, regular vans aren't designed to keep their form at high speed roll over accidents. Cutting one support shouldn't change any structural integrity in the day to day use unless you roll it on the highway. That said, the amount of stuff we haul around will certainly send us to our maker long before the structure itself gives out.

Since your are OK cutting holes in your roof, have you looked in to roof mounted AC systems?

yzeevy

Adventurer
Well, to be fair, regular vans aren't designed to keep their form at high speed roll over accidents. Cutting one support shouldn't change any structural integrity in the day to day use unless you roll it on the highway. That said, the amount of stuff we haul around will certainly send us to our maker long before the structure itself gives out.

Since your are OK cutting holes in your roof, have you looked in to roof mounted AC systems?
Yes, but they are all huge output. Even 5000 BTU is too much for me.
I saw a European AC, for 18 wheelers but its around $1300 and I dont think its available in the US
http://www.dometic.co.uk/product/dometic-freshjet-1100/

yzeevy

Adventurer
Insulation

The "geniuses" of Wheeled Coach glued the insulation with a glue that dissolves it.
20160924_101038.jpg

Last edited:

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Seems par for for the course they are just a bit better than rv manufacturers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz