Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
My regular auto insurance will cover it as far as liability goes if I'm involved in an accident while towing it, but it won't cover theft, fire, contents, installed equipment, etc.

Check to see if those items are, or can be, covered by a renters or homeowner's policy.

yzeevy

Adventurer
I tried doing the free online quote last night, but couldn't complete the application because there is no 'Other' or 'Homemade' categories in the RV description section of the application. It wants to know the make, model, and year or the RV or Travel Trailer, and until you enter something in there from the drop down menus, you can't go any further. There was one category for 'Van Conversions' that I thought about trying, but that would not even be close for me since mine is now a trailer, and insurance for a trailer should be much cheaper than for a complete vehicle.

My regular auto insurance will cover it as far as liability goes if I'm involved in an accident while towing it, but it won't cover theft, fire, contents, installed equipment, etc.
I have today $65 liability / month.
My agent is trying to find me RV coverage but it looks like I'll have to continue as is.
I'll be careful and drive slowly.
There is one advantage in a FD red truck . . . everyone gives me the right of the way.
I can change lanes in seconds and they all keep away from me.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Check to see if those items are, or can be, covered by a renters or homeowner's policy.

They are covered by my homeowner's insurance if it's sitting in the driveway, but not if it's on the road or in a campground somewhere.

rlrenz

Explorer
Look in the classified section of RV magazines – I saw one in the back of my MOTORHOME magazine from the Miller Insurance Company – they state that they specialize in RV insurance, and can handle a medium truck (1 ton and larger). Read the ABOUT US section, and you’ll see that they have a long history with trucks.

Miller Insurance: http://www.gomillerinsurance.com

Miller.JPG

Another option is the guys who insure semi tractors used as RVs: http://hhrvresource.com/node/6

The section on insurance (it’s in “The HDT Decision”) offers some hints that might help with insurance.

HHRG.JPG

Insurance is out there, but the agent's perception of you and your usage is also important. The magic word "Ambulance" can cause problems, until they understand that it is a DECOMMISSIONED ambulance, and it no longer has a siren or red/blue lights, and all the "ambulance" lettering has been removed - it is now basically just a truck. A photo can help.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I have today $65 liability / month.
My agent is trying to find me RV coverage but it looks like I'll have to continue as is.
I'll be careful and drive slowly.
There is one advantage in a FD red truck . . . everyone gives me the right of the way.
I can change lanes in seconds and they all keep away from me.

It the ambulance your only vehicle or do you also have something else?

Telling the agent you're going to be living full time in a DIY converted used ambulance probably wasn't the best thing to say either. I would have just said it was only going to be used occasionally on the weekends to visit local campgrounds for some rest and recreation. But then, I'm in Florida and you're in a whole different world.

rlrenz

Explorer

Telling the agent you're going to be living full time in a DIY converted used ambulance probably wasn't the best thing to say either. I would have just said it was only going to be used occasionally on the weekends to visit local campgrounds for some rest and recreation. But then, I'm in Florida and you're in a whole different world.

The insurance company's past experiences with various vehicles and activities may also factor in.

I can also see where an insurance company may get skittish about covering the contents on a home-built conversion where they don't have a good handle on the final vehicle's retail value. If you buy an off-the-shelf RV, there is a sales price that they can work with.

If you have photos and receipts for what you did, it may be possible to get coverage that includes specifically listed items, for instance, maybe your build includes a $5000 diesel generator, a $1000 TV, and a pair of $900 chairs.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Look in the classified section of RV magazines – I saw one in the back of my MOTORHOME magazine from the Miller Insurance Company – they state that they specialize in RV insurance, and can handle a medium truck (1 ton and larger). Read the ABOUT US section, and you'll see that they have a long history with trucks.

Miller Insurance: http://www.gomillerinsurance.com

View attachment 338559

Another option is the guys who insure semi tractors used as RVs: http://hhrvresource.com/node/6

The section on insurance (it's in “The HDT Decision”) offers some hints that might help with insurance.

View attachment 338560

Insurance is out there, but the agent's perception of you and your usage is also important. The magic word "Ambulance" can cause problems, until they understand that it is a DECOMMISSIONED ambulance, and it no longer has a siren or red/blue lights, and all the "ambulance" lettering has been removed - it is now basically just a truck. A photo can help.
I told the AAA agent that an AMBO is built under much higher standards then an average RV.
He said that they know that and I'm not the first calling and yet they wont cover.

yzeevy

Adventurer

Telling the agent you’re going to be living full time in a DIY converted used ambulance probably wasn’t the best thing to say either. I would have just said it was only going to be used occasionally on the weekends to visit local campgrounds for some rest and recreation. But then, I'm in Florida and you're in a whole different world.
I have a Nissan that I kept as long as I work on the truck, I'll sell it in the next few days.
I am sure you know that insurance companies are regular blood suckers and they hate paying.
I can tell stories to get coverage and then I have an accident in Oregon or Alaska or where ever.
They will find out that I live in it and I lied, they will cancel my coverage
and I'll have serious problem to find somebody to cover me.
BTW, do I need local coverage for Canada?
Even if its just to cross to Alaska?

patoz

Expedition Leader

BTW, do I need local coverage for Canada?
Even if its just to cross to Alaska?

I wouldn't think so, since people who are on vacation and just taking a sightseeing tour don't have to get any additional insurance that I know of, but I could be wrong.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, 100 Watts is too small. The rule of thumb for Solar is, 1 watt per 1 Ah of battery(s)(bank) being charged.

Since Trojan T-105 batteries have a 20-Hr. rating of 225 Ah, and since amperage stays the same when wiring two or more batteries in parallel, the total rating is 225 Ah for the bank. Therefore, a Solar panel bank rated at 225 watts or better is required to fully keep up with the house batteries. If you are charging the starting battery(s) at the same time, an even bigger solar bank would be needed.

With that being said, you can probably get by with the 200 Watts you will have if you monitor your house batteries carefully, and don't let them get discharged too deeply. And remember, the sooner you fully recharge them after use, the longer they will last!

You may want to hang on to the 100W suitcase panels you have for use with the starting battery, or to supplement the larger panels.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Yep, 100 Watts is too small. The rule of thumb for Solar is, 1 watt per 1 Ah of battery(s)(bank) being charged.

Since Trojan T-105 batteries have a 20-Hr. rating of 225 Ah, and since amperage stays the same when wiring two or more batteries in parallel, the total rating is 225 Ah for the bank. Therefore, a Solar panel bank rated at 225 watts or better is required to fully keep up with the house batteries. If you are charging the starting battery(s) at the same time, an even bigger solar bank would be needed.

With that being said, you can probably get by with the 200 Watts you will have if you monitor your house batteries carefully, and don't let them get discharged too deeply. And remember, the sooner you fully recharge them after use, the longer they will last!

You may want to hang on to the 100W suitcase panels you have for use with the starting battery, or to supplement the larger panels.
100w that start working with sunrise and go to sleep with sunset is much more effective then 100w that work when I put them out . . .

patoz

Expedition Leader
100w that start working with sunrise and go to sleep with sunset is much more effective then 100w that work when I put them out . . .

This would be true, but I thought you said you purchased 2 new 100 Watt panels for a total of 200 Watts capability?

yzeevy

Adventurer
This would be true, but I thought you said you purchased 2 new 100 Watt panels for a total of 200 Watts capability?
Sooo, 200w that start working with sunrise and go to sleep with sunset will be muuuch more effective . . .

patoz

Expedition Leader
Well yeah, 200 Watts of charging power will be twice as effective as a single 100 Watt panel would be, especially if they are working every day, all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven