An Axe - Seriously?

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Was your question answered about handle replacement? I'll throw out a couple of things. Getting the old handle out can be a pain. I do it by sawing the handle off just below the head and drilling a hole down through the center of the head. Don't hit the metal. Then I use a punch to drive out pieces of wood into the hole till the head comes loose. You drive the pieces out the top. Metal wedges make this harder to do, and if the head of your axe is full of them and also nails and other crap, you will see one reason why it's better to use wood wedges. Clean the inside of the head out good, and remove any rust. After I check the handle fit and sand off all the lacquer, I wipe the inside of the head and the mating handle area with linseed oil. I alo use oil in the wedge slot and on the wedge. It's like lubricating a bolt before tightening. You can get things alot tighter! I like wedge wood that is slightly softer than the hickory. I like wedges that are long wide and thin so they reach way down into the head. One reason I don't like steel wedges is because they are usually way too short. I want the whole head area swollen, not just the top. After I get it all together as best I can, I soak the head end in enough linseed oil to reach up maybe 1/2" beyond the metal onto the handle. I leave it overnight. I do this to swell the wood, and also to create a perfect seal between the wood and metal so water cannot wick in. Once a year I repeat this to keep it from drying out. Once the head is set I finish the handle. I try to do this in the winter.

There are probably as many way of doing this as there are axe men.

One thing that I've seen guys do is heat the head with a torch to help loosen an old handle for replacement. This is a real quick way to ruin your axe. Don't do it.

My question was answered, but thank you for your process. Very thorough.

Another question - if the ax head is slightly loose (in other words, you can feel movement, but not really see it), is it OK to soak the head in linseed or tung oil? Or, am I better off just replacing the handle?

downhill

Adventurer
a soak should do it, but if not, then re-wedge it. I've only replaced a handle when it broke or was damaged below the head from errant strikes.

downhill

Adventurer
Hell yeah. I've had both DVDs and the book for years. I watch them a few times every year. I never ever get tired of them! Anyone who hasn't seen these must absolutely get them!!
Edit : just realized I didn't have part II! I've got solitude and silence. New video coming !

Last edited:

flintsghost

I agree with htek that an axe is a bit much. There are lots of better choices. And I live in Colorado and hunt and spend a lot of time on BLM land. As near as I can remember all I've seen an axe used for is to look really great heading off road. A small hatchet is useful and a small chain saw can be handy but an Axe with power by armstrong would not be of much use to me.

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
I can't believe this thread is on its 34th page......it's a simply up to the discretion of the person headed out. Eash person has their own style of back country living, some prefer an axe, some prefer a bow saw, some a chain saw. I love my axes, I spend a lot of time honeing and trueing their edges, because I enjoy it. But I also enjoy my big bore Stihl 046 with a 48" bar full skip chisle.....to each his own

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
This thread is so long because everyone can relate to an axe. There aren't to many males (and a good many women) that haven't either hefted, swung or chopped with an axe even if it's just for a minute. They're easy to buy, fairly straight forward to use and probably one of the most useful tools ever created other than a hammer, a knife or the orginal poking stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk