An Axe - Seriously?

frgtwn

Adventurer
I, for one have enjoyed this thread. It is good to question our collective assumptions, and to challenge them. Interestingly, there seems to be a lot of pride held on what each of us deems important.

A few comments:

I do not understand the attraction to Zombie destruction. Never seen one, do not know that any have ever been sighted. And, some of you are serious.

Neither have I seen a truly talented user of an axe in the last 40 years. Or a sharp one. What passes for axe use is really a bunch of untalented chopping of a mostly dull device, and a dangerous one at that. I would place the axe as the most dangerous piece of normal kit, far more dangerous than your hi-lift, or the possibility of flying metal from a winch rope break.

I am not a fan of composite handles. They are not serious tool handles. If you use handles for a living, you will insist on wood. American Hickory.

Axe heads are not made to strike metal. Call it a hammer all you want, but metal strikers they are not. Neither are they wood splitters. Kindling, sure, but for splitting wood, use the correct tool. Maul and wedge, or sledge.

The assertion that an axe is a pry-tool is simply ill-informed. That's what we get from "unbreakable" handles.

Now, just so that you know, I carry a MaxAxe, it is as dull as new from the factory, and I am among those with the least talent. But I have all my assigned fingers and toes.

Dale

rezdiver

Adventurer
I, for one have enjoyed this thread. It is good to question our collective assumptions, and to challenge them. Interestingly, there seems to be a lot of pride held on what each of us deems important.

A few comments:

I do not understand the attraction to Zombie destruction. Never seen one, do not know that any have ever been sighted. And, some of you are serious.

Neither have I seen a truly talented user of an axe in the last 40 years. Or a sharp one. What passes for axe use is really a bunch of untalented chopping of a mostly dull device, and a dangerous one at that. I would place the axe as the most dangerous piece of normal kit, far more dangerous than your hi-lift, or the possibility of flying metal from a winch rope break.

I am not a fan of composite handles. They are not serious tool handles. If you use handles for a living, you will insist on wood. American Hickory.

Axe heads are not made to strike metal. Call it a hammer all you want, but metal strikers they are not. Neither are they wood splitters. Kindling, sure, but for splitting wood, use the correct tool. Maul and wedge, or sledge.

The assertion that an axe is a pry-tool is simply ill-informed. That's what we get from "unbreakable" handles.

Now, just so that you know, I carry a MaxAxe, it is as dull as new from the factory, and I am among those with the least talent. But I have all my assigned fingers and toes.

Dale

Dale,
you freely admit lack of experience with an axe, yet you call others out as ill-informed for using it as a pry tool or a hammer? axe heads do just fine at striking metal and are just as good for prying till you break them, and then you just buy a new handle, simple. use whats at hand man. learn to use it and its no more dangerous than a hammer.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I had some friends see my axe and shovel in my truck and ask me if I had a body back there. I looked them in the eye and smiled as I said, "Not any more".

Paladin

Banned
Neither are they wood splitters. Kindling, sure, but for splitting wood, use the correct tool. Maul and wedge, or sledge.

Have you ever spent any time chopping wood? I mean seriously?

I prefer to use an axe for splitting up to about 12" hardwood, 18" softwood. I find splitting axes give me a really bad case of "tennis elbow". If the wood is bigger than that, forget the wedge and sledge. That's the slowest method bar none. Get a gas powered splitter and be done with it.

I think bow saws, splitting axes and wedges are only for people who are doing it recreationally. If you're doing it for income, or to store enough wood to heat your home, you use the proper tools. A chainsaw and hydraulic splitter.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Wait! You were there too?

Axes aren't worth a damn unless endorsed by at least one survivalist! :D

Most of the overweight armchair survivalists need this type of axe more....
079400553003.jpg

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Here is a question for you: what is a good on line resource to read up on axe sharpening? Zombie chopping starts to dull the edge. I don't know enough to discern good advice from bad.... :)

Sorry missed this. Files and a vice. Two files, one moderate and one fine - both flat. Vice to hold it. Stones are lovely but a file is better.

European ash is better than Hickory for an axe - hickory is better for a Maul or a Sledgehammer. You need some give. Heavy is not best; medium is better - you need to be able to hold the axe at full stretch with both hands at the base for a full couple of minutes.

I actually prefer to fell by axe - it's like using a spoke shave or doing a bit of fencing. Relaxing; quality me time

Mind you, if I'm in a hurry the old 361 comes out pretty damn fast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater