Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Scott, Chris & Pasquale
Your fan club of miscreants & misfits here at trailer central have been watching your progress daily and marking it on the office map for all to see. You'd be surprised at how many people look at it, ask what it is and then shake their heads in disbelief and say you're crazy! We on the other hand, think you guys rock!...and we're so glad that the Orderly is letting us check in on you guys between meds :xxrotflma

The push pin inside the circle is Inuvit.

Guys,

Thanks sooo much for the blog update!! that is one snowy and cold looking road~~ The pictures are amazing! What a treat to be able to see wild wolves, in the snow, in the environment that is there own. Great photos all the way around. Can't wait to see the Dog Sledding pics :Astrologist:

Stay warm up there on the top of the world:campfire:

Scott Brady

Founder
Video and a little relaxation

We are spending the day today in the Arctic Chalet, resting from the 11 straight days of driving.

Chris has posted a new blog update

We also wanted to let everyone in on a little secret we have been saving. Pasquale (DesertDude) has actually been along for the entire trip and capturing High Definition Video of the entire trip. Here is the first taste:

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Awesome video Pasquale! We got our own Ewan, Charlie and Claudio up there! :wings:

You guys are doing great! Looking forward to the Tuk pics!

RedDog

Explorer
I must say there were a couple comments made previous, and as a seasoned winter veteran I questioned the TWO tents folded out in the Grande Prairie region - from a shared body heat standpoint. It all falls into place now.

Put your feet up for a bit. I recommend Canadian Rye Whiskey. Gibson's Finest if it can be got.

paulj

Expedition Leader
You lucky guys, driving in the white season!

I did the Dempster in the 'black' season - as can be seen from the back of my white S10 (and Wildernest) at a buggy campground just beyond the Arctic Circle (mid August). Also, the Circle crossing looks at lot more 'civilized' that it was in 1988. At that time, we traveled the Dempster in the company of a RCMP officer on patrol in a camper pickup with his family.

paulj

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks guys

A little more photo action:
bustin_drifts.jpg

flywgn

Explorer
Enjoying all the notes and pix. Keep 'em coming!

Allen R

(Can't play the video for some reason, and I have Quick Time and Active X. Don't know the problem, but I'll work on a solution. :) )

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Crazy! That's great!
Totally fooled me on that one!
I saw the two tents also and wondered ever so briefly...are they mad at each other? :sport_box
LOL!

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Very nice ... anybody else notice that at the Firestone, the first item the hotel features is ice:exclaim: too funny.

Any sightings of the northern lights? or are they active t this time of year?

can't wait for more.

flywgn

Explorer
jeffryscott said:
Very nice ... anybody else notice that at the Firestone, the first item the hotel features is ice:exclaim: too funny.

Any sightings of the northern lights? or are they active t this time of year?....

I believe that the aurora borealis is quite active during March-April, but if the visibility is anything like the pic above they'll be lucky to find their way back to their aurora toyotalis.

Allen R

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Some Info on Nothern Lights - Aurora Borealis

Some info on those that speculate the Aurora....

The aurora was named after the Roman goddess of dawn, and was long thought to be produced by sunlight reflected from polar snow and ice, or refracted light much like rainbows.

It also appears that the sun has an influence: auroras become brighter, more distinctive, and are spread over a larger area two days after intense solar activity. Two days is the time it takes the "solar wind" to arrive.

They are at their most dazzling from December to March when nights are longest and the sky darkest, can usually be seen even as far south as Juneau.

Undulating ribbons of light may shimmer in the sky for hours, like glowing, dancing curtains of green, yellow and orange or dark red, or magnificent veils with a full spectrum of colors, and with the altitude of its lower edge 60 to 70 miles above the earth.

Or the aurora may last 10-15 minutes, twisting and turning in patterns called "rayed bands", then whirling into a giant green corona in which rays appear to flare in all directions from a central point, and finally fade away.

The rarest aurora is the red aurora, like the one of February 11, 1958, which is still talked about today.

An Eskimo tale records that the northern lights are spirits playing ball in the sky with a walrus skull. Another legend, calls them the flaming torches carried by departed souls guiding travelers to the afterlife.

The scientific explanation is that the aurora is a physics phenomenon taking place 50 to 200 miles above the Earth. Solar winds flow across the Earth's upper atmosphere, hitting molecules of gas lighting them up much like a neon sign.

Best viewed: between Fairbanks and Barrow Alaska. Mayo and Faro, Yukon north of Whitehorse is also ideally situated for great viewing. However, because of logistics, it is a lot easier visiting (and viewing) from Fairbanks than sites further north and east.

Seasonal Cloudiness: should be taken into consideration which decreases from a maximum in mid-August to a minimum in winter. However, with clearer skies comes extremely cold temperatures (-30°F to -50°F).

The aurora is most frequent: during the equinoxes (22 September, 22 March). However, it can be seen to some extent almost every night at high latitudes (north of 60°N).

The 11-year sunspot cycle (which was at maximum in 2000-2001) determines the magnitude of each display. BTW..there are also Souther Lights

My favorite time to view the aurora is in late August when a soft twilight is still visible all night, the temperatures are pleasant, and the bugs are minimal (however, cloud cover could be a major problem).

Enjoy...if you're lucky enought to see them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat