Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

toyrunner95

Explorer
so are they still on schedule? cuz i was going to mee them next sunday in renton, but if they are late i may be boned on that idea, since i have papers due tuesday.

RedDog

Explorer
toyrunner95 said:
so are they still on schedule? cuz i was going to mee them next sunday in renton, but if they are late i may be boned on that idea, since i have papers due tuesday.

toyrunner95, or anyone else down the line planning to hook up with the boys - here's my ill fated table tent card intended for Calgary. If anyone wants the file in it's original vector (.ai / .eps) format or any other format, I can email it in a jiffy.

sign.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
another northern lights story

Here's my Northern Lights story.

I was visiting my girlfriend at a small college in upstate New York in December, 1968. We went to the small campus library in the evening so she could study for finals. The library was filled with students. Everybody was busy bookin' so the study carrels were quiet.

About 10pm, a student comes crashing through the front door to the reading room. Breathless with excitement, he shouts, "UFOs ARE LANDING!!!" and races out again!

The library fell silent for a moment as we considered the possibilities. (This was the 60's, so there were several alternative explanations for unusual visual phenomena.) We decided we couldn't rule out the notion that UFOs really were landing, so as a group we jumped up and ran out into the night.

The night sky to the north was filled with shimmering green and yellow curtains of light. The show lasted for at least half an hour.

"Carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind," indeed.

Chip Haven

toyrunner95

Explorer
i dont particularly need a sign, thanks for the offer though. i just need to know if they are going to be there that day, its a 300 mile drive back home so it would be nice if they werent late, if so no biggy. but it would be cool to meet them.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
The blog has been updated for March 25.

We did some dog sledding today, which we REALLY enjoyed a lot. We are all having dreams of doing a sledding expedition now... LOL

Tommorow we hit the ice! (actually ... later this morning... :) Pasquale and I are burning the midnight oil right now.)

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts here. Great stuff guys! Hopefully we will get to see some aliens landing before too long :)

Hey Mark L, Scott J, Alvaro (if you're reading), I really hoped to get on the radio with you guys, but we lost all contact for awhile and I didn't get the radio info onto the laptop before that happened. I will try to get it coordinated with you before we leave on Tuesday.

Ok, time to go to bed.

alvarorb

Adventurer
Chris,

I looked around for an Echolink enabled repeater near Inuvik.
The closest one is in Alaska... Unfortunately that's too far.

Echolink allows a user on a computer running Echolink software to talk to any one in the range of a Echolink enabled repeater. In other words, if there was an Echolink enabled repeater in your area, I could talk to your 2m radio using my computer.

Let me know the towns you'll visit when traveling south. We might be able to get this going.

http://www.echolink.org/links.asp?lat_deg=69&lat_min=26&lat_NS=North&lon_deg=133&lon_min=01&lon_EW=West&gs=CP39lk&sel=city&city=Inuvik&state=&country=CA&d=2

Regards

Alvaro

Super Doody

Explorer
Awesome guys. Stay safe.

Are you guys coming back throught california? Would to met with you guys if possible. I'm sure others would too.

Jim:)

Edit: Just saw the schedule. You guys are heading straight for AG after Lake Shasta and probably taking the 5 down but if you guys have chance spend one night in Big Sur. I recommend Kirk Creek campground which basically a cliff on top of the beach. I live in the SF, Bay Area. Please let me know ifyou guys need any assistance if you pass through.

Last edited:

etbadger

Adventurer
CanuckMariner said:
Best viewed: between Fairbanks and Barrow Alaska. Mayo and Faro, Yukon north of Whitehorse is also ideally situated for great viewing. However, because of logistics, it is a lot easier visiting (and viewing) from Fairbanks than sites further north and east.

Having lived in both Fairbanks (cold, somewhat remote), and Faro (kinda colder & remoter), I can concur that the view is quite dazzling from both locations. Only time I have had a better view was in an airliner over the arctic ocean heading to Europe from Seattle, but I was much warmer in the plane.

-e

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat