Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

Scofco

Observer
I think your truck is secure enough for the night :p

IMG_1579.jpg

Locked, padlocked, locked gate, barbed wire, and 2 blocks from the RCMP station.

XXXpedition

Explorer
hey, there's a great cafe with wireless in whitehorse!!!
can't remember the name though...
(i should - we were there A LOT when we were stuck with a broken rear diff...)

Scofco

Observer
XXXpedition said:
hey, there's a great cafe with wireless in whitehorse!!!
can't remember the name though...
(i should - we were there A LOT when we were stuck with a broken rear diff...)

Zola's?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
We are at the Edgewater Hotel. We will be picking up some last minute supplies (leaving the hotel around 8:30) in the morning and a trip to the Kanoe People for the PLB.

Maybe we will see you in the morning.

Guess that explains why I got no response via radio Tues evening! The node was busy at 5PM, got a poor connection at 6PM, had local traffic at 7PM , got a solid connection at 8PM with no static - but no reply from anyone at all.

Later

RoundOut

Explorer
Your GPS

I have really enjoyed your blog! What an adventure this must be!

I was wondering how your GPS is working out. I have the exact same one, and use it with MS Streets & Trips. It seems to anticipate travel, rather than reporting it. Sometimes I get 4 satellites, but mostly 3. I had higher expectations of the Sirf III chipset. Does yours act similarly? My previous USB one (the one that came with Streets & Trips 2006) worked better, IMO.

Scofco

Observer
ujointclothing said:
Why is the truck locked up like that?

It's the hotels parking lot at the rear of the building. Guests vehicles are locked up overnight if they desire so.

Scott Brady

Founder
Inuvik!

We are in Inuvik at the Arctic Chalet, a sweet little cabin with high speed.

Most likely hitting the ice road tomorrow.

I have our first blog entry up now of part one of the Dempster. :rally_guys:

Chucky

Port Of Entry Question

Did you guys cross into Canada in the vicinity of the Port Of Entry called "Piegan" on the Blackfoot Reservation? You would have driven through Babb and Saint Mary, near Chief Mountain (all in Montana).

How are the Grizz going to destory your tents and steal your food? You guys are traveling too early for that part of the fun of the far north! The poor Grizz are still sleeping up there!:safari-rig:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Chucky said:
Did you guys cross into Canada in the vicinity of the Port Of Entry called "Piegan" on the Blackfoot Reservation? You would have driven through Babb and Saint Mary, near Chief Mountain (all in Montana).

How are the Grizz going to destory your tents and steal your food? You guys are traveling too early for that part of the fun of the far north! The poor Grizz are still sleeping up there!:safari-rig:

Hi Chucky - welcome to ExPo :26_7_2:

I believe they crossed at Carway...

paulj

Expedition Leader
mountainpete said:
I believe they crossed at Carway...

I think we are all talking about the same crossing, hwy 89 on the US side, 2 on the Alberta side. See posts 168 and 174.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat