Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

RedDog

Explorer
toyrunner95 said:
promised land? that looks like pullman, only flatter. and more people.

LOL It's a touch uneventful on the way in via the grasslands but it gets better. I'm trying to identify the border crossing. If it's not Sweetgrass, MT / Coutts, AB, it's not far from it.

Abraham.jpg

cattle2.jpg

AB11.jpg

paulj

Expedition Leader
The blog talks of stopping in Missoula, and traveling along the Flathead, and on to Calgary. They probably crossed the Rockies via US2, and the border via US89/Ab 2. This is more remote than the main I15 crossing. The US93 crossing into BC would have more mountains in the background.

The main slow part of this this route would be the twisty stretch of US89 between E Glacier and St Mary.

paulj

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
David Letterman's Top Ten Reasons Two Guys Drive to the Arctic

10. It's the perfect place to quote Shakespeare's line, "Beware the 'ice' of March."
9. You need assurance for your future destiny that hell can freeze over.
8. Instead of the finger, you can give rude truckers the mitten.
7. You want to see Eskimos plug in their dogs.
6. You've always wanted to see goosebumps over your entire body.
5. You've always wanted to sleep with a block heater next to your head.
4. If you sit on the ice too long, will you get polar-oids?
3. To see if your buddy gets ALOT better looking at minus 50.
2. The Arctic is the only place to see lawyers with their hands in their own pockets.

And the number one reason two guys drive to the Arctic:
1. Your wife says she doesn't care if you freeze your balls off..........;)

Thanks for the call guys...sorry I missed ya...have a great one!!

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
VikingVince said:
David Letterman's Top Ten Reasons Two Guys Drive to the Arctic

8. Instead of the finger, you can give rude truckers the mitten.

:wings: That is great :)

Thanks for stopping in Vince, looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Scott Brady

Founder
Ice Climbing

A great day in Canada ice climbing and hanging out with the guys from the Rocky Mountain Land Cruiser Association.

I have always wanted to do the one handed Sly Stalone pick hang... got my chance :)

ice_spin.JPG

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
VINCE!! You should have heard the roaring laughter in the truck as Scott read your top-ten list aloud... ********... should have had that on video. Thanks man! Sorry we missed you on the phone. LOL... polaroids...

Paul, you are correct on the route. We camped near the flathead river and the drive skirting Glacier was beautiful.

The ice climbing in Canmore was a BLAST!

Huge THANKS to SteveO and MountainPete for their hospitality and help while we are visiting Calgary and Canmore. Also thanks to all of the guys who showed up for dinner last night. That was soooo fun. :D

steveo

BajaTaco said:
Huge THANKS to SteveO and MountainPete for their hospitality and help while we are visiting Calgary and Canmore. Also thanks to all of the guys who showed up for dinner last night. That was soooo fun. :D

Glad to have met you guys. Drive safe. ....Steve

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Great shot, Scott! The gearhead in me is just wondering, do your boots happen to be old Lowa Civettas? What about the tools, Aztarex axes and Grivel 12 crampons?

Willman

BajaTaco said:
I just posted a snapshot of our current position at 2pm, March 19.

Awesome!!!! Hows that program working out so far with the GPS?

Love the Picture of Scott hanging by his axle!!!! Thats how 007 James Bonds does it!!!!!!...Where's the Pictures of Chris???......

I would love to see a picture of you guys and your campsite setup!!!

keep up the great updates!!!

:rally_guys:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
BajaTaco said:
I just posted a snapshot of our current position at 2pm, March 19.

man, I wish my current position was somewhere other than this cubicle! So I guess I'll have to just keep reading up on the blogs & updates in this post. Keep 'em coming!!

RedDog

Explorer
I'm so ticked off at missing the dinner that I've waited over 24 hours to apologize. I made up three spiffy table tent cards (I'll take a photo of one) and was about a third of the way to Calgary when the office called. A couple collegues putting in some weekend OT were having issues with the CTP system. This didn't appear to be a problem as I left way early to make a few stops in Calgary. Back to Red Deer I whistled. Then things dragged on... and on. I wasn't free until almost 6:00 pm. I'd be looking at at least 8:00 for the Keg. What if the group moved eleswhere? Would anyone even be there? I reluctantly scrubbed it and went home mad as hell and poured a stiff Rye.

I hope a good time was had and many best wishes for a continued safe journey. Mountainpete - we must hook up for a beer one time.

Duane

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat