Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

pwc

Explorer
Thanks for the compliments on the photos. As Craig mentioned, the lighting that way was great and the nice shiny trucks made it easy. :)

I hope you guys made it to Ogden and points beyond. Sorry about the sickness, I'm still feeling under the weather as well.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah Peter, your images are stellar. It is always fun to travel with fellow shooters and see the different styles that come from essentially the same cameras.

I felt really bad about being so sick those two days. I could hardly talk and wanted to hear so much more about your efforts in Nepal.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Wow, you guys must of had a blast. I didn't think it was possible to fit in so many smaller side trips on an adventure like this. Looking forward to the DVD and full report :)

And I must say, Peter's photos are absolutely stunning! Best shots I've seen in a long time. :wings:

K2RVR

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
We didn't make it that far last night. We made it to the east side of the mountains and camped at a place called coves state park (I think). I woke up in pretty bad shape - some intestinal flu or something... uughhhh... so we were running behind sched. today and had to pass Glass Butte. (dang!) Thanks for your efforts to get us there though, I really appreciate it. We are currrently crusing across Idaho hoping to make it to Ogden UT tonight.

Ooohhh, been there before, no fun... But there is a positive point to the fact you missed it. Now you have to come back and run the whole route. Much to see and experience in the area. Keep me in mind, I am confident our trails will cross again someday, it just seems to work out that way.

I wish you well and can only imagine your desire to get back home soon, which after a week, will be replaced by the need to get back out again. :)

Say hi to Scott and Pasqualle!

Todd

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
And i've only read this thread now:confused: Enjoy the report so far. And killer pics:victory: . Looking forward to the rest:cool:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Sorry to hear that the Arctic Flu has taken hold of the team. :(

You're almost home, hang in there. I'm sure the Arctic widows will be glad to have their men back, sniffles and all.

Great photos from the PNW crew! :jumping:

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Couple of snapshots from around camp.

Peter photographing the creek
The guys listening to one of Scott's captivating tales of adventure
A cloudy snowy morning in camp - the sun came out a couple of hours later.

Craig

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Great photos of the wheeling & camping in WA & OR. I definitely need to check out some of those spots in person. And congrats to you guys for a successful adventure! Can't wait to see the DVD of the whole thing!!
:elkgrin:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
crawler#976 said:
I'll be interested to see/hear how the uber soft BFG's did both from a traction stand point and wear was experianced, and how well the low temp fluids held up to the rigors of extended high heat/long distance driving.

For sure, I want to know how all those highway miles wore on the tires.

Yes, the boyz are on their way home, and needless to say, we are all very excited!! :elkgrin: Can't wait to hear the stories, and see more pics. It has been a grand adventure with lots of sharing of ideas and cultures and beautiful scenery! :088:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
crawler#976 said:
IMO

I'll be interested to see/hear how the uber soft BFG's did both from a traction stand point and wear was experianced, and how well the low temp fluids held up to the rigors of extended high heat/long distance driving.

x3 -- particularly on how well the AT's did wheeling in the PNW. The reality for me is that this trip is a highly condensed version of my driving life. Lot's of highway miles, lots of time in snow and cold (south of -30F is not at all uncommon) and wheeling in conditions ranging from desert to mud, wet rocks and snow. I run synthetics mostly for their cold weather performance, but they have to hold up on the hot end too.

EDIT: Response to political questions moved to other thread -- BG

Last edited:

toyrunner95

Explorer
as a resident of the pacific north west and the eastern side of the state (a much dryer climate) i have to say that BFGs are superb in any terrain. i have run ATs, Muds and Boggers (i know those are interco.) but they are fairly comperable off road. IMO the boggers wear way too fast on road, but the BFGs wear really well if you dont have a welded diff or a spool or something. those will eat any tire like fire melts snow. the ATs do fantastic in the snow even when clogged. and the Mudders are fantastic just about anywhere. they are soft when they need to be and hard on the road. i was very pleased with all my sets of BFGs.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
toyrunner95 said:
as a resident of the pacific north west and the eastern side of the state (a much dryer climate) i have to say that BFGs are superb in any terrain. i have run ATs, Muds and Boggers (i know those are interco.) but they are fairly comperable off road. IMO the boggers wear way too fast on road, but the BFGs wear really well if you dont have a welded diff or a spool or something. those will eat any tire like fire melts snow. the ATs do fantastic in the snow even when clogged. and the Mudders are fantastic just about anywhere. they are soft when they need to be and hard on the road. i was very pleased with all my sets of BFGs.

The tires Scott and crew have on the tacoma are not your typical run of the mill BFG's. IIRC, it is a softer comound being marketed to the cold weather folks.

Personally, I have never had good luck with BFG off road tires. The tread blocks rip off very easily, and the sidewalls are fragile...yes, *fragile*. I have owned about 5 sets of BFG off road tires over the last 10 years or so, and have had sidewall failures in each and every set I have bought. I can never get more than ~25K on the tires before they are impossible to balance due to missing tread blocks. The good news is that BFG is actually doing something about it. I hear from a good source that their off road tires are undergoing major changes....not just tread changes, but the entire carcass. Here's hoping they get better results this time around!

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
toyrunner95, the A/T's on the Expo truck are non production specials with a very low durometer rating.

edit - Goodtimes beat me to it! ...

and I also am not a fan of BFG's for Arizona use...

toyrunner95

Explorer
well i only had 2 sets, and they saw alot more highway miles than off road miles, i dunno its just my experience. ive never wheeled in arizona soooo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat