Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Welcome home, guys!
Great trip reports...I had a great time traveling along vicariously.

:sombrero:

Scott Brady

Founder
HenryJ said:
How was mileage? Did you weight the truck / trailer combination? What did they gross?

What did you do for heat? Both the truck and people.

What comfort item did you miss that would be added to the next trip?

You all came down with some sort of intestinal bug? Anything that could have been done prior? I know that we build immunities to what we are exposed. When you travel you are exposed to unfamiliar bugs. Would a flu vaccination been a good pretrip idea? Do you already get a flu shot annually? What about hep or TB testing and other vaccinations?

We actually did ok on mileage considering the weight. The further north/colder is got the more fuel we consumed. It was interesting to watch the ignition advance (I can monitor it on the Scan Tool) six degrees higher than in typical driving in AZ. I know I was developing a lot more HP too with the cold/dense air and spark advance.

The truck and trailer was 7,700 lbs. without Pasquale inside. A true testament to Toyota quality there.

Comfort Item: Good question. We had no more space in the truck or trailer, but I think having some chairs would have been nice. Much better seats too :)

We kept the truck pretty cool inside to minimize issues with the cameras. I was really worried about condensation, but with how dry it is, there were few issues. Most of the time, the cabin temps were in the high 40's.

We used no heat in the tents, but I would try to work on something if I were to do the trip again. We camped one night under -30 (we don't know exactly how cold as all of our gages stopped at -30) and it was intense.

I am not sure what we came down with, but I believe it was an intestinal virus. We also caught colds with sore throats. My lungs still hurt from damaging them in the extreme cold/dry air.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
... I believe it was an intestinal virus. We also caught colds with sore throats. My lungs still hurt from damaging them in the extreme cold/dry air.
I wonder what might have helped with the cold dry air? Saline spray? I know my son had problems with a dry nose and nose bleeds. We used a product called "Ayr - Saline Nasal Gel, with aloe". I wonder if something like that and learning to breathe from the nose would help?
I think to the sci-fi movie Dune. They used recycling hydration packs. Breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. A tube from the mouthpiece went through a series of tubes in the pack where the moisture condensed and was then filtered for drinkable water from a separate tube.
Now that may not apply, but with a filtered mask/bandana could breathable moist air be retained? Maybe some saline gel to retain the moisture in the nasal passages.
With the cold dense oxygen rich air, rebreathing a little would not be too bad. Especially if it helps to moisturize the breathing air.We use a thick bandana with a filter for wildland firefighting. I wonder if something similar is available for Arctic conditions?

I wonder if there is such a thing as a 12 volt humidifier? Perhaps a little moist air in the cabin during travel would help too?

We have very dry conditions during the summer months here. I wonder if some saline gel might help?
K.I.S.S. Maybe try the saline gel. That is pretty simple. I just added a tube to my pack. I'll give it a try next outing.

(BTW, are you guys just ignoring the t-shirt offer? I am serious about sending them.)

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I think the solution was the Balaclava (sp?). Chris used on and did not suffer the lung issues I did. Like you say, warm/moist air makes all of the difference.

My lungs still hurt and I cannot breath in more than half-way without coughing :Wow1:

Scott Brady

Founder
Ok, two more trip blogs. Only one left from Chris and I. Probably tomorrow :)

Adventure Driving Thoughts

Easter Jeep (Lots of EarthRoamer shots!)

EJS_%20%20211.jpg

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
expeditionswest said:
I think the solution was the Balaclava (sp?). Chris used on and did not suffer the lung issues I did. Like you say, warm/moist air makes all of the difference.

My lungs still hurt and I cannot breath in more than half-way without coughing :Wow1:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - and then hydrate more. That's the key. If it lasts more then a few days, go get checked. You don't want pneumonia. Trust me on that one. ;)

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Scott,

Cool Easter Jeep pics... I'm really a fan of htis concept:

EJS_%20%20232.jpg

Any word from AEV if they are going to sell retrofitted tent tops seperately from the fully converted Jeep?

Pete

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
...My lungs still hurt and I cannot breath in more than half-way without coughing
Don't let that turn into something irreparable. Pneumonia is not something to take lightly. It is worth having someone with a "license to practice" offer some advice /relief / cure if symptoms continue.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
expeditionswest said:

That sounds like the classic symptoms of lung burn (I've done it a couple of times). This is very common in Alaska (my dad was stationed in Eielson AFB and at least has talked about it) and McMurdo. Your breathing can be adapted to extreme cold by being sure to breath in thru your nose, which warms the air a little before it hits your trachea. But that's not a complete solution. A balaclava or something that helps pre warm the air works, as does just breathing into your cupped mittens. Most of the racers that do the Iditarod bike race get cold air coughs. There's not much they can do, they are sucking in air at high volumes and there's just no time for it to warm up. Definitely go see a doc about this, it can turn into pneumonia or even a chronic respiratory problem if left untreated.

Edit to add: I remembered the stuff they gave me the last time I did this. Donatussin-DC, which is a prescription cough medicine. It's got a decongestant, an expectorant and a narcotic. Mine was pretty bad, because it was hurting and I got a little blood. The narcotic is the key, this is a very effective cough suppressant (go figure) and you have to give your respiratory system a break so that it can heal.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
well, good news on the cough front. I can almost breath in the whole way now and cough rarely. If conditions worsen at all, I will see the doc.

erin

Explorer
Welcome back guys! Great trip and write up, as if we would all expect anything less. Glad to hear you are healing up well.

Willman

Awesome trip blog you guys have!:drool:

How did you guys like the Northern Lights?

Were you guys able to take any pictures of the lights?...From your gear list...looks like you had some good camera equ.!!!

I spent 2 years up in Alberta, Cananda...Up in the north around Ft. McMurray...The Northern lights where HUGE!!!! The lights flooded the nights sky!!

:Astrologist:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
The truck and trailer was 7,700 lbs. without Pasquale inside. A true testament to Toyota quality there.

This may be covered in your mod thread, but that thread is so large I cannot find things in it anymore. Maybe we can index that thread? Anyway, can you tell us about your brake upgardes that accomodated this weight? I know you added trailer brakes, I am asking about the truck upgrades specifically. Great trip fellas.

FJ Cruiser

Adventurer
Congratulations and welcome back Scott & Chris. Thanks for the updates - the story and photography were awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat