Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

teotwaki

Excelsior!
On Denali I used this North Face Heat Exchanger Balaclava to help with the cold dry air and it worked great

160546994245e65e88a10d7.jpg

QX-Tec Heat Exchanger.
In cold conditions the body goes through several physiological changes. Cold dry air that is inhaled causes dehydration and reduces lung capacity. QX-Tec technology works by warming and humidifying incoming cold air through a unique fin-enabled module. The end result is a warmer core, less peripheral vasoconstriction and prolonged performance.
Can increase temperature (under the module) by up to 2.5 Fahrenheit
Helps keep face dry
Does not impede normal breathing

Features:
Qx-Tec heat Exchange technology
Power Stretch and PowerShield fabrics

bc_fjc

Observer
Glad to here you made it back with out incedent. Enjoyed reading about your trip. Got me all pumped up to start my 3 week throw the western US. Hope to see you on the trail on day:26_7_2:

Drew

imagodave

Adventurer
Great Trip, wonderful blog as usual. :clapsmile :clapsmile

I'm getting ready to order a Chaser myself and wanted to know how did the trailer perform? What changes if any would you make or add to it before you use it again?

Scott Brady

Founder
There were five things that exceeded my expectations on this trip:

1. HID Lights: The IPF's were incredible. Mount two driving HID's on the bumper and you are done! They are so bright and clear that when you shut them off you cannot see the factory lights at all (until your eyes adjust).

2. The Chaser: Without question, this trip could not have happened with three guys camping in cold weather with video cameras and all sorts of other Scotty gear without the trailer. The only issue we had with the trailer was a shock, which I installed and the bolt fell out, causing the shock to bounce around for who knows how long down the Dempster. It still works though. The airbag IFS rocks and we never felt the need to slow down because of the trailer. It was a big box, filled to the rim with stuff.

Also, never buy/build a trailer without brakes. I have driven trailers both ways and there is no comparison :)

Oh, and just because you have a trailer behind you doesnt mean that the fun on the ice stops... We did some test "drifts". The manual trailer brake actuator can work like an e-brake too :smilies27

left_side.JPG

right_side.JPG

3. Columbia gear: Chris and I bought this stuff from our own piggy banks and it is exceptional. The Titanium line is ultra duty with high-quality construction and HD zippers, etc. Never failed us.

4. Canon Cameras and L lenses: I completely abused these cameras in -30 temps and rain, snow, mud, etc. They never stopped working. I expected a camera failure and it never happened.

toyrunner95

Explorer
ok i know you have only been back like 3 days, if that. but i have to ask you this. is there a chance we could come up with a design for the expedition portal logo so we can all get it embroidered on whatever we want? or is that copyright infringement or whatever.

OR

can you get us a line on those nice columbia jackets? :)

my coumbia is kinda crapping out.

Scott Brady

Founder
pwc said:
You forget, they went to Canada. Factor in the exchange rate and you really get 4. :)

:xxrotflma

Ok, the fifth thing was the Eezi-Awn tents. I forgot to add that in my still thawing mental state:REOutIceFishing:

1. Eezi-Awn Tents: I was not sure how the South African tents, designed for much warmer climates would fare in the extreme cold. I expected the covers to crack or be impossible to remove, but they never cracked (bruised a little) and were actually pretty easy to remove because they became like a hard top :). We would just lift the whole frozen top off and set it on the ground. The thick tent walls did a good job of insulating from the cold and wind and the mattresses helped insulate and keep things pretty comfy. The series three has a thicker mattress, which is a bonus (also hinged). Condensation wasn't too bad, mostly just frozen moisture on the poles and highest point of the roof. It never thawed out enough to drip. I was pretty sure we were going to need to use my mountaineering tent above Whitehorse, but we never took it out of the bag.

Coldest night in the Eezi-Awns: At least -30, because that was as low as our guages went. I am not looking forward to being that cold ever again :smilies27

Scott Brady

Founder
My pal Chuck asked about the brakes on the truck.

We ran out of time and did not upgrade the brakes on the truck, so they were totally stock. The trailer brakes were a life saver (literally).

The brakes on my truck are now priority number one. Still not sure of what to do though. The Tundra calipers / TRD pads idea is really appealing to me and will probably be the route I go.

Scott Brady

Founder
toyrunner95 said:
ok i know you have only been back like 3 days, if that. but i have to ask you this. is there a chance we could come up with a design for the expedition portal logo so we can all get it embroidered on whatever we want? or is that copyright infringement or whatever.

OR

can you get us a line on those nice columbia jackets? :)

my coumbia is kinda crapping out.

Great idea. I have been thinking about redesigning the ExPo logo and have one for shirts and hats, etc. I will put it on the to-do list, unless someone else has some design ideas :bike_rider:

Willman

expeditionswest said:
Great idea. I have been thinking about redesigning the ExPo logo and have one for shirts and hats, etc. I will put it on the to-do list, unless someone else has some design ideas :bike_rider:

We should hold a contest on a new ExPo logo.....We could vote for the new logo.....with Scott having the final word!

:ylsmoke:

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
great feedback scott. :26_7_2: Nothing like feedback from real world extreme testing.

What's your review on your whole gps/laptop/bt gps setup? What gps did you use? Do you have to turn on/off the gps manually? How well did it communicate with delorme? Did you like delorme for driving hwys, how about off road?

Scott Brady

Founder
Mlachica said:
great feedback scott. :26_7_2: Nothing like feedback from real world extreme testing.

What's your review on your whole gps/laptop/bt gps setup? What gps did you use? Do you have to turn on/off the gps manually? How well did it communicate with delorme? Did you like delorme for driving hwys, how about off road?

The laptop with the Verizon Aircard was incredible. MountainPete provided us with a booster and we had very reliable coverage in the states. In Canada, after Dawson Creek, there was nothing. It came back on at the end of the Cassiar and was spotty.

Chris had a bluetooth GPS with SURFSTAR (SP?) technology. It was very impressive.

I did not like anything about the Delorme software, it was full of bugs and had a very clunky interface. Just my opinion. But, we did use it every day as that was the only mapping software we had time to install on my new machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat