Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

jrizman

expeditionswest said:
My pal Chuck asked about the brakes on the truck.

We ran out of time and did not upgrade the brakes on the truck, so they were totally stock. The trailer brakes were a life saver (literally).

The brakes on my truck are now priority number one. Still not sure of what to do though. The Tundra calipers / TRD pads idea is really appealing to me and will probably be the route I go.

first of all, kudos on the trip, sicky!
I have gone thru some brake trials myself. I am now running brembo slotted rotors and Hawk LTS pads. good setup, i like it. also have all new braided stainless lines and some expensive brake fluid. these things have all made a difference and im pleased with the setup. Ill be pulling a small trailer 2200miles next month (no trailer brakes) so ill let ya know how i like the setup then. ive pulled trailers with these brakes and liked it much more than stock.
If rear disks were not such a huge deal i would consider them, but too many issues from all ive seen.

good luck. hope to meet ya someday! you ever need a place to crash in montana, let me know!

haven

Expedition Leader
minimum of upgrades

Scott,

Based on the experience of your trip, what upgrades/changes do you think would be the bare minimum necessary for a stock 4x4 SUV to repeat your journey?

Tire chains, yep. Survival gear to keep warm in case of breakdown, natch. Engine oil that flows at minus 25, check. Maybe a driving light. What else?

Chip Haven

Scott Brady

Founder
Great question Chip.

In my research, I found that both Toyotas and Jeeps are tested to -40F, so once you change the fluids to a cold temp viscosity, the vehicle is essentially ready. I would also recommend a battery upgrade and even a spare battery. My camped a few times totally remote and there was a bit of concern each morning when we went to start the truck, but it always fired up. One of the good AGM units would be perfect.

After that, really good tires, chains and some good aux. lights (I would recommend HID). So the vehicle is pretty easy to prepare for the journey.

It is us frail humans that need all the high tech gear :)

Personal gear and camping equipment is so critical. We would get so cold that our hands would lose range of motion and we would lose all feeling in our toes. -20 TNF boots were not enough.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Personal gear and camping equipment is so critical. We would get so cold that our hands would lose range of motion and we would lose all feeling in our toes. -20 TNF boots were not enough.

You tried the naked snow angels didnt you?LOL:clapsmile :wings:

erin

Explorer
Hey Scott, as always, stellar report. On equestion now that you've put some miles on. How do you like the taller BFG All-t's? I'm going to assume they ride much smoother than the muds. I know you clearanced for chains w/ this size, but what would be required to clearance for just the tires? Now that I am on the freeway everyday, I am thinking All-t's would be better, and a little taller wouldn't hurt my gearing at all, might even get freeway rpms down a bit. Did you notice any reduction of your rpms at freeway speeds?
Sorry for all the questions, but been dying for you to get back for a reporton them.

Scott Brady

Founder
erin said:
Hey Scott, as always, stellar report. On equestion now that you've put some miles on. How do you like the taller BFG All-t's?

In all practicality, a great tire, but too big. They barely fit, even with lots of work and trimming. The 285/75 is a better size IMHO.

I want a set of 285's for the street in AT/KO and a set of 9.0 R16 XZL's with internal beadlocks for the trail. I will find them somewhere... :violent-smiley-031:

Scott Brady

Founder
The final blog entries are finished... Thanks so much to all who read along, met us on the way and helped out so generously.

Final Blogs

the_crew.JPG

Scott Brady

Founder
Secondary door locks :)

They are made by Overland Hardware (our very own Mr. Suave). More details as soon as I get a production set for photos :smiley_drive:

shawkins

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Secondary door locks :)

They are made by Overland Hardware (our very own Mr. Suave). More details as soon as I get a production set for photos :smiley_drive:
I was actually thinking they were just that! Do they use a padlock?

Will they be available for purchase?

Scott Brady

Founder
Overland_Hardware_Lock.JPG

Overland Hardware will have them for sale very soon as a production solution, with matched keyed locks, etc. All of my locks are the same now, which is very nice. Trailer lid, nosebox, shovel/axe bracket, rear swingout, and both secondary door locks.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I agree with Ursidae69, that tightly framed photo from the rear of the Expeditions West Tacoma is cool!!

Your wheels?

I was considering American Racing teflon coated wheels but was concerned about the finish being fragile compared to other surfaces or plain aluminum. Are they chipping/scratching from your hard use?

redLine/James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp