Are FJ75's legal to import to the US?

Youngunner

Adventurer
I'm doing a little research about importation and there seems to be quite a gray area. If I find one of these, I'd like to try and bring it to the US. I know there is one on ebay, but I think i can do better on the price even with the shipping, fees, etc. I've heard that these are not apporved to be road use, only "farm or working" vehicles. What a cool rig, lucky Australians...and South Africans...and Europeans...and South Americans...and..what is wrong with the US auto market!

fj75.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
The rules governing vehicle imports to USA focus on emissions and safety equipment. Read the rules here http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/

If a manufacturer has not provided test results for a particular model and year to the Department of Transportation, then the vehicle has to be brought into conformity with federal standards. This can be very expensive. If you try to do it yourself instead of using the services of a company registered to import non-conforming vehicles, you'll have to post a substantial bond. If your vehicle is not brought into compliance within a year after entry, the vehicle can be seized and destroyed.

The federal rules make an exception for vehicles that are more than 25 years old. This provision makes it a lot easier and less expensive to import an FJ75 built in 1984, the first year of its production. The trick is finding a 25 year old utility vehicle that has been lightly used and well maintained.

If you're purchasing a vehicle that someone else has imported, be sure to check for a sticker under the hood that says the vehicle meets all applicable regulations, and the name of the company that did the work to make the vehicle comply with the rules.

Once you get a vehicle approved by the feds, you still have to pass inspection in the state where you live. Some states have minimal inspection, others scrutinize the vehicle closely. California, for example, often makes life miserable for the owners of unusual vehicles.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Short answer, sure.

I know of a handful of them on the roads here in the US. A first call if your serious would be the fine gents at Proffits Cruisers, they have had their hands on a few of them.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Heard Proffitt is using the body for a 60 or 80 mod I think.

Bringing these JDMs from any other market to N. America can be difficult and time consuming especially of the US. Kanukistan has a 15 year ruling and US has a 25 yr rule. However, there are movements (political) to stop or restrict these importations. As members above have posted, read the rules carefully. RHD can also be an issue in some states in USA. Most 70 series in the USA are from Kanukistan as they were sold here and hence can be imported relatively easily at any time. However, most 70s in the USA or diesel 80s in the USA come by way of Kanukistan or other methods and if under the 25 yr rule have been brought in via a "grey" method. Not to say this doesn't work, but can have it's issues.

Legal 70s in the USA are usually former mine, personal use, farm, show, or military vehicles, There are some from M.E. that are shipped with personal effects when repatriating from the region or Europe and hence are LHD.

Great rigs, very capable, Kool look, etc.

BTW: I will have a rare '90 HZJ-T73 with extensive mods, available 4 sale in spring of this year, should you be interested, please email me as per my profile.

Grease Cruiser

Adventurer
The gray truck is a factory unit and is all OEM except for the ARB bullbar, roofrack, and rims/tires. We did not build this truck.

The 70 series has been 5 lug since 1999.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad