auto vs manual

Wonderland

Explorer
Manual all the way.:smiley_drive: Rather walk than have to drive an auto.

Plus you can bump start, if your battery decides to quit.

I was recently looking at 1/2 ton fullsize trucks, the lack of a manual transmission is keeping from purchasing one. Yeah I could get 3/4-1 ton with a manual. I just don't need that much truck.

Last edited:

JayGannon

Adventurer
I prefer Automatic, because I don't have three feet!....:elkgrin:

You would be amazed at the amount of control you can have with your left foot on the brake. And your right foot on the gas. Yes! I do that!

It's a very comforting feeling for me.

Just my humble opinion and preference.

Same here, I feel that I have more control over the vehicle with an Auto than a Stick. And feel that I have more attention on the road and spot better and manage to just have more of a feel for my surroundings when in an Auto.

BTW this is from someone who grew in in Europe, the land of stick shifts.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
My sports cars were/are all manual. Trucks/SUV's all auto. I prefer auto with trucks/SUV's, because the last thing I want to do after a day of skiing, hiking, hunting, etc. is shift. Especially in traffic.

I do like the self-serviceability of the manuals, though. I take my autos to the dealership to get the fluids replaced.

And the bump start thing? Can't remember the last time I got stuck with a dead battery and didn't have anyone to jump me. If I were to frequent the very remote places, I'd maybe invest in a dual battery system. But chances are, I'd be going with several individuals, so not a big deal.

Last edited:

Wonderland

Explorer
I prefer auto with trucks/SUV's, because the last thing I want to do after a day of skiing, hiking, hunting, etc. is shift. Especially in traffic.

Now there is good argument for auto's, they do come in handy for that. One of my moto-racer buddies. Does like a auto in his tow vehicle with an auto, just in case he gets injured.

I did break my right collar bone a while back, so I had to shift with my left hand. No biggie though.

Boxers, boxers, boxer briefs, or commando!?:elkgrin:

barlowrs

Explorer
Always have been and always will be a manual guy. Though I have to admit, now that I moved to So Cal, the traffic does SUCK...btu not enough to sway me from my manual.

By the way, for those of you who don't know, you're supposed to use the right foot for both the brake and the gas in left-hand vehicles. You can use both feet if you want, but you're supposed to do one thing at a time down there.

----------------
Same here, I feel that I have more control over the vehicle with an Auto than a Stick. And feel that I have more attention on the road and spot better and manage to just have more of a feel for my surroundings when in an Auto.
------------------

Then you need to practice... Just like playing drums blindfolded. You're not supposed to be looking down there. You're supposed to be engaged with the band, the audience. Ditto for marching drummers. They're taught to not look down to see what they're doing.

Stephanie

MGRS

Driven manuals all my life to the point that I do not feel in control when driving an auto. I am not as engaged with the vehicle.

1st is so short on the 6spd Toyota trans that it is very difficult to stall in 4LO.

VtFly

Tore my right achilles, was in a cast for three months. You learn pretty quick to brake and gas with the left. Not sure I could have done that with a clutch. I'll take a clutch when I want MPGs. For towing, spoting, etc. give me the auto.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One of my moto-racer buddies. Does like a auto in his tow vehicle with an auto, just in case he gets injured.

This factor came in very handy to me in 2006 when I tore my ACL skiing at A-Basin. I was skiing with my brother so he was able to drive me home in my auto-tranny Subaru but once I got home, I was able to drive myself to the VA hospital because it was my left ACL that was torn and my vehicle was an automatic. If I'd had a stick shift, it would have been much more difficult.

Boxers, boxers, boxer briefs, or commando!?:elkgrin:

Depends. :sombrero:

JSimmons

Casual Observer
Personally, I prefer manuals for the control, MPGs, ability to start from a roll, comparable simplicity in servicing the unit and fun factor.

However, an automagic can be useful off-road if you know how to perform brake-throttle modulation, which is really just a band-aid for a lack of a locking differential. It's also a sure way to fry your expensive brake system. However, that is a technique that we utilize in the military on NTVs (non-tactical vehicles, like Hiluxes, Surfs, Expeditions and Suburbans) that don't have locking diffs. Pretty much after an off-road trip utilizing brake-throttle modulation, you have to service the brakes for fear of having no brakes once you go back on the pavement to get home!

I digress...:smiley_drive:

Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk