Backup/reverse lights: thoughts?

xtfritz

Observer
toyota_jon said:
I got these guys for $20 at walmart. perfect.

P1010034.jpg

The force is strong with this one..... ;) Cheers, nice lights!

kjp1969

Explorer
kjp1969 said:
This should be a good one. I picked up a fiberglass/aluminum extendable paint roller handle at OSH yesterday:
7700.jpg

It's 2' closed, and 4' open, and a reasonable $13. It looks pretty rugged, its rustproof, and it's nice and tight whether dogged down or up. It's sort of like a single leg of a tripod.

I plan on mounting it on the spare tire carrier, and mounting a flood light on the top. Down, the light will be approximately the height of the top of the spare tire. Up, it will be about 6" overhead, which should be pretty much above the eye-line when at camp. More to follow.

I worked on this today. I coiled a cord to work inside the handle (hidden wiring) and fabbed up a temp mount to the tire carrier. I turned the roller handle threaded fitting into a 3/8" thread, mounted the light, and painted a few things.

So where are the photos? Well, when I get imagineering stuff, I'm way too dirty and way too impatient to take step by step photos. Plus, I never know where I'm going until I'm there, and by then its too late. I'll take photos when I'm done. But I think it will be awesome- sort of like the Kaymar light, but with hidden wiring and 1/10 the cost.

miller_au

Adventurer
kjp1969 said:
So where are the photos? Well, when I get imagineering stuff, I'm way too dirty and way too impatient to take step by step photos. Plus, I never know where I'm going until I'm there, and by then its too late. I'll take photos when I'm done. But I think it will be awesome- sort of like the Kaymar light, but with hidden wiring and 1/10 the cost.

Still waiting on the pics!

Heres my solution, i just mounted a round flood light in the middle of my spare wheel. Its small enough that i can take the spare off without having to remove the light.

I also have a switch so comes on when in reverse or it can be constantly on too.

rearlight-1.jpg

rearlight2-1.jpg

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
kjp1969 said:
I worked on this today. I coiled a cord to work inside the handle (hidden wiring) and fabbed up a temp mount to the tire carrier. I turned the roller handle threaded fitting into a 3/8" thread, mounted the light, and painted a few things.

I like your idea. I've been looking at mic booms...but they're a bit spendy.

glazener.24

I just picked up a cheap set of lights from Wal-Mart and mounted them to my Loadwarrior using 2 CB antenna mounts, works pretty well.

kjp1969

Explorer
Version 1.0

Its kind of slapped together at this point; I'd like to weld on a couple of tabs to hold the mast and re-do the wiring, but here it is. Total cost, including hardware and a cheapy light is around $30.

6a00e54fa376c18834010535d0f6a3970c-pi

6a00e54fa376c18834010535cace12970b-pi

6a00e54fa376c18834010535d0f77a970c-pi

6a00e54fa376c18834010535d0f804970c-pi

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I was looking at these poles last night. They had the screw type like you got, but they also have the push button pin-in-hole type to control the extension. I'm not sure which is better. The pin-in-hole adjustment seemed more secure. The only disadvantage is that it can't rotate, so you couldn't, say, extend the pole and aim it to the side. Not sure which is the best way to go.

Also, they had poles with 3 segments, so it could extend like 12-15 feet, but I'm not sure if that would be excessive.

kjp1969

Explorer
R_Lefebvre said:
I was looking at these poles last night. They had the screw type like you got, but they also have the push button pin-in-hole type to control the extension. I'm not sure which is better. The pin-in-hole adjustment seemed more secure. The only disadvantage is that it can't rotate, so you couldn't, say, extend the pole and aim it to the side. Not sure which is the best way to go.

Also, they had poles with 3 segments, so it could extend like 12-15 feet, but I'm not sure if that would be excessive.

Remember that the light itself can be installed to swivel on its own mount- that's what mine does. I used a bolt through the mounting tab, plus a couple of split-style lock washers and regular washers to provide a certain amount of friction plus the ability to rotate smoothly.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I did think of that. I think I'm actually going to be using two lights mounted on a horizontal bar, with the stick in the middle. Just not sure if it's the best option or not.

kjp1969

Explorer
R_Lefebvre said:
I did think of that. I think I'm actually going to be using two lights mounted on a horizontal bar, with the stick in the middle. Just not sure if it's the best option or not.

I'm going to do that too- easy upgrade and broader light pattern. That rectangular light is just something that I had lying around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad