Best deal on synthetic winch rope???

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Around 4k lbs, which isn't a problem unless you are using it on a winch that is way over powered for the rope. We have only had a few knots ever pull so tight that they cut the rope, they were on a hydraulic winch on a wrecker.

The reasons that we sell synthetics with a higher rating then the winch is because often times they become abraded when used and lose strength. We are working getting only pre-spliced XD lines instead, the cost will be slightly higher but in my mind they are worth it because you don't have to worry about the knot.

-Alex

rezdiver

Adventurer
only 4k? thats not much at all.
if its only 4000lbs difference, it doesnt seem to be worth you spending the money to splice it unless its a special order.

targa88

Explorer
Alex,
Is it possible to replace the Safety hook with the winch stop (I bought M-P Synthethic line from with a Safety hook)?

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I've been really happy with my Master-Pull line but I wouldn't go with an affixed saftey hook again. I've had mine freeze shut a couple times when I needed to use it. It's easy enough to force open but it's not exactly something you want to deal with when you're trying to pull in the the middle of a snowstorm.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
That is one of the reasons that I advise against the safety hook (geographic location dependent) and instead use a regular sling hook.

If you have our line (or any other synthetic) and want to purchase a winch stop and have it spliced on we can do that. Pm me with what line it is and we can talk pricing.

-Alex

ExpoMike

From our research the best and strongest way to splice is the direct bury, it is also one of the easiest if done correctly.

We don't splice the XD because of the way the rope is built, with the cover shielding the inner 12 strand rope. The cover does do a great job of protecting the rope, we have seen some over 5 years old that have a cover that looks well worn but the core is still in excellent shape.

As said earlier the yellow safety style hook can seize up if it is not kept greased, I personally don't like this hook but many people do. It is fairly popular in the southwest and other arid regions.

If you guys are looking for a rope with a safety thimble we have recently begin producing our own version called a Winch Stop:

HPIM2549.jpg

-Alex

Oh sure, now you have this! I originally wanted to go this method but you guys didn't offer it last year so I went with the safety hook. Never thought about it sticking shut.

So what would you charge if I sent back my current line (never been spooled off since put on a few months ago) and have you change it over to the thimble? I would much rather go that way.

rezdiver

Adventurer
not sure what the big deal with it sticking shut is in cold weather. either pee on it or stick a shackle through it if its stuck.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
I have had them stick more often once they rust up a little bit and then don't want to open again.

To do one of those would be around $60 plus shipping I believe, I don't have my price sheets in front of me but for now I will do free splicing on any of our ropes if you purchase a Winch Stop thimble.

-Alex

ExpoMike

Thanks for the info Alex. I'll work with what I have for now and if I start having issues, I'll spring for the thimble. Being in the southwest, I might not have that big of an issue.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
FWIW I had one of the Self Locking Safety Hooks hook freeze up (corrode would be a more appropriate word) after only one season being on my winch/bumper.

I drilled the rivet hinge pin out and replaced with a Grd8 fine thread bolt with locking type nut (not a nylock though) so I could adjust the play. Worked fine ever since...until I replaced my then broken syn line with said hook with a new MP SuperXD with their H-D Sling Hook and its been maintenance free ever since ;-)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Anyone know if 80ft of 3/8 synthetic winch line will fit on the M8000?

I'm fairly certain your M8000 shares the same drum as my 9.5XP; they both come with 100' x 5/16" wire rope (actually the M8000 can also come with 80' x 5/16"). I am running the MP Superline XD in 3/8" x 80' and it just fits. If you're sloppy with rewinding the rope it might rub on the drum braces but otherwise no biggy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven