Best deal on synthetic winch rope???

dzzz

The idea is that you cannot suck your fingers through the fairlead like you could with a stainless steel thimble. This is a much bigger issue with roller fairleads the hawse's because the opening on a roller type fairlead is far larger.

-Alex

good to know
what's another way to handle that with a hook on the end?

Eventhough

Explorer
good to know

You can use a hook attached with an adapter or a shackle on a thimble. Problem with using a shackle on a thimble is the shackle is very easy to take off and either yourself or someone else may be clumsy and get hurt, ie: fingers sucked into the fairlead. It is amazing at how people will jump in to help with a recovery and put themselves in an unsafe position. I have a thimble with shackle right now but am upgrading to a safety hook very soon.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
good to know

On my steel line I had a Winch Saver on the end... I plan on using one on my synthetic line as well since they make it easier to snug the line up on the drum without scraping my delrin rollers with the safety thimble.

http://www.winchsaver.com/

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/replacement_rope.shtml
102_3510.jpg

dzzz

You can use a hook attached with an adapter or a shackle on a thimble. Problem with using a shackle on a thimble is the shackle is very easy to take off and either yourself or someone else may be clumsy and get hurt, ie: fingers sucked into the fairlead. It is amazing at how people will jump in to help with a recovery and put themselves in an unsafe position. I have a thimble with shackle right now but am upgrading to a safety hook very soon.

I have a hook, but don't like the metal to metal on the rollers. My ropes a little too big for the winchsaver.

Eventhough

Explorer
I have a hook, but don't like the metal to metal on the rollers. My ropes a little too big for the winchsaver.

Hmm - am I right to assume you have a cable winch line since you have rollers? Winch Saver's website didn't say (at a quick glance) how large of a line they can handle. Is your line huge?

Winch Savers are hand poured so I wonder if they have a way to tweak their mold to make the line area larger?

Thinking out loud still - I wonder if a boating supply place, or dock supply business would have something that might work?

dzzz

I sent him an email. The site lists the largest at 1/2. I have 9/16 synthetic, which may work.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
good to know

You mean to protect your hand/fingers when spooling the line back in after using the winch?

I use a hook strap. (similar to the red RECON strap in the pic) It's just enough to keep your/someones hand off the hook while spooling it tight.

winch.jpg

dzzz

Shazaam that's large! What do you drive?

a unimog. It's a warn industrial (wrecker) winch. might not always pull me out, but will pull out (or apart) any car or pickup.

You mean to protect your hand/fingers when spooling the line back in after using the winch?

It's a rear winch with the control in the cab. So I don't want anyone's hand near the rollers. Or if I'm alone it's a fairly imprecise "landing". A big rubber thing seems like a good idea.

I may add a cheap camera as a channel on my backup camera so I can see the winch rollers. I can't see the last five or six feet now. As was pointed out earlier in the thread someone always "helping out" and that's not usually a good thing for safety.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
....It's a rear winch with the control in the cab. So I don't want anyone's hand near the rollers. Or if I'm alone it's a fairly imprecise "landing". A big rubber thing seems like a good idea.

I'd have to agree with you there!

Even with the winch on my CJ, unless I know the person very well, I will get out of my rig and up to the front, and winch in the last few feet myself.

(which is imossible in your setup)

There are a few guys in my club that I have done a few recoverys with, and if they are on the end of the line, telling me to spool in, I will. Becuase we know each other, know each others hand signals, etc.

I had one guy get really mad at me after I had winched a Jeep back onto the trail. He had the line and said 'wind it in'

I got out, with the remote, walked up front and siad I'd get it.

He got really mad!!

I tried to explain that it wasn't that I didn't trust him (which he insinuated) but that I prefer to wind it in myself, that 'things can happen' and I wasn't going to be responsible for his hand/fingers, and he wouldn't be resonsible for my equipment.:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven