Best deal on synthetic winch rope???

dzzz

Just a comment that "stronger" ropes are simply stronger per diameter. Most people don't want to max out the amount of rope on a winch. A cheaper/thicker rope to get the same strength may be more desirable depending on how many feet is needed.

I don't know about rock crawling. For recovery a couple times a year I wouldn't go above the price of good ol' amsteel blue.

My last big order was from masterpull. Comparing "apples to apples" their price was about as low as I could find without building the ropes myself.

I went with a moderate length on the winch and a substantial extension. By using moderate price rope I'm more likely to replace it if I worry about abrasion. The long extension can act as a replacement for a broken/damaged main rope.

dzzz

I smell some marketing BS in those links.

1/2 Dyneema rope with a rating of ONLY 16,500? Even regular Amsteel, not Amsteel Blue, has an average rating of 27,500 pounds. Step up to Blue and youre looking at 34,000 pounds. The pics make it look like regular poly rope.
Amsteel rating is average breaking strength. It's unclear what this vendor is quoting. Amsteel is made from Dyneema fibers. So at best the cheap rope is simply generic amsteel.

It may be more the equivalent of the original amsteel, as oppossed to newer amsteel blue. The original amsteel "fluffed up" in large winches and couldn't replace by footage steel cable. Amsteel Blue was made a little stronger per diameter to be a direct steel cable replacement in commercial marine applications.

Consider the sophistication of material sciences today amsteel blue does seem expensive.

opie

Explorer
Amsteel rating is average breaking strength. It's unclear what this vendor is quoting. Amsteel is made from Dyneema fibers. So at best the cheap rope is simply generic amsteel.

It may be more the equivalent of the original amsteel, as oppossed to newer amsteel blue. The original amsteel "fluffed up" in large winches and couldn't replace by footage steel cable. Amsteel Blue was made a little stronger per diameter to be a direct steel cable replacement in commercial marine applications.

Consider the sophistication of material sciences today amsteel blue does seem expensive.

My best guess is the rope in that link, assuming it is Dyneema, is it's SK60 or SK65. Early versions of Dyneema.

Expensive is subjective. Amsteel Blue certainly isn't the most expensive option on the market.

Last edited:

dzzz

I believe sk60 is the one that floats.

Anyways, I'll keep making the point that strength per $$ is usually the important metric. Strength per rope diameter only matters if the winch overflows before the desired length can be installed. With the trend away from max rope length on the winch diameter has become less important.

But I'm not a rock climbing guy.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Thanks for all the input guys, this has been one of the harder things to buy just because of all the different choices and the various nuances of different ropes.

I ended up purchasing 80 ft of 3/8 Viking line from Sierra Expeditions in orange with Safety Thimble and the 10 ft HD protector. I also purchased a set of the Viking delrin rollers because of the way the winch sits back in the ARB bumper.

No tax and free shipping ;)

opie

Explorer
I believe sk60 is the one that floats.

Anyways, I'll keep making the point that strength per $$ is usually the important metric. Strength per rope diameter only matters if the winch overflows before the desired length can be installed. With the trend away from max rope length on the winch diameter has become less important.

But I'm not a rock climbing guy.

I believe all the Amsteel and Amsteel Blue lines float.

I think diameter plays a role, From a cost standpoint. Sure you could spool up 50' of 1/2 and carry a couple extensions. But, IMO it would be a waste of money unless you need the strength of 1/2 line. Not sure if that's what you were getting at.

I'm not a climber either.

dzzz

......... I like those saftey thimbles.

I've never understood how adding mass to the end of a winchline is "safe". Although it is a better name than "projectile thimbles".
Perhaps I'm just jealous as they don't make the thimble for larger rope diameters.

opie

Explorer
Probably envy. I know for me it is!!

Im working on a steel shackle replacement. It won't be a 100% replacement, but should be able to eliminate steel shackles on line to line and line to tree strap connections. It should also work on most vehicle recovery points. Would work in place of a hook, too.

I'm working on getting it sent out for testing to see what load it fails at.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
I've never understood how adding mass to the end of a winchline is "safe". Although it is a better name than "projectile thimbles".
Perhaps I'm just jealous as they don't make the thimble for larger rope diameters.

The idea is that you cannot suck your fingers through the fairlead like you could with a stainless steel thimble. This is a much bigger issue with roller fairleads the hawse's because the opening on a roller type fairlead is far larger.

-Alex

opie

Explorer
Thanks TACO. Between me being sick, the kids being sick and the snow... Im getting it together.

Learning lots of new splices as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven