Best way to carry more fuel???

Sloan

Explorer
Is it better to go aux. tank or carry 5 gal. cans on bumper? I have an 84 FJ60 that has a Kaymar rear bumper but the can holder would have to be fabbed because 1-5 gal. can doesn't extend the range that much. My theory on the larger fuel tank was to just fill it half way (20 gallons) around town and then full when on a trip.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I started out with the extra cans on the bumper or in the back of the Tacoma with can mounts - In AZ with the extreme heat it became increasingly dangerous as the cans expand quite a bit. I installed an Aux tank in the Tacoma first then in the 80 series - this with a transfer pump makes it a breeze to transfer while driving - you can also save a bit by purchasing less expensive gas at distant locations.

My vote would be an Aux tank.

Sloan

Explorer
I have to admit after getting rearended a couple of weeks ago totaling my Tacoma the fuel on the bumper idea became less attractive.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Sloan said:
Is it better to go aux. tank or carry 5 gal. cans on bumper?

Fuel is heavy and will affect the vehicle's centre of gravity. For heavy things, frame level towards the middle of the vehicle is always best.

Personally. I like the idea of carrying fuel in protected locations instead of out on a bumper. If anything I would carry extra drinking water out on the bumper.

My Land Rover has 3 built in fuel tanks for a total of 42 gallons of fuel. All at frame level and counterbalancing each other to help bring the roll centre to the middle of the vehicle.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
M2C worth is you cant beat the aux tank. They carry well, dont expand and leak in the heat. Are easy to secure with a locking cap. An issue with the cost of fuel now days. I could go on and on, you get the idea.

Regards,

Jim

MaddBaggins

Explorer
What you hadn't mentioned was whether or not cost is an issue. An aux tank complete setup can run quite a few $$.
I would like to add one to my rig, but the cost is high and I worry about it being exposed to large rocks. On the 80 it would mount under the large overhanging ******** of the vehicle and I like to get into the rocks a bit. Still, if it was less expensive, I would do it.
I can carry 2 cans on my bumper and 2 more on my trailer.

Clay

Adventurer
Auxiliary tanks are better just for the simple fact that you don't have to pour the gas out of them into the main tank. It's kinda a pain to stop what you are doing and pour gas from a can into your rig for a half hour. If you can get a tank under your rig I would do it.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I go back and forth on this alot, myself.

On one hand, I love the simplicity of an aux tank, once it is installed. On the other hand, the constant weight of an aux tank seems to be slightly counter-productive as the constant increased vehicle weight = reduced mpg's, facilitating the need for more fuel. Kind of a snake eating it's own tail, thing.

However, having seen bulging jerry cans in the desert heat and the hassle of refueling from a can, I understand the downsides to this method as well. In addition, the cost of fabricating a spare fuel can holder, (roof rack, rear bumper carrier, etc.) can't be that much less $$$ than an aux tank.

My personal travel style has led me to thinking that a simple, non-permanent jerry can mount, is my best option. My desire is to have it when needed and the ability to leave it at home when on trips where fuel should be readily available.

Seeing how this should be one of the primary modifications for extended adventures, I'm surprised at how long I have debated which option is best and how to implement that option for the best results, ie, I still don't know which way to go either....:cow:

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
So if you feel strongly both ways, do both.......:wings:
I have had trucks with and without. On the ones with out I have always carried a spare can off road. If for no other reason than it makes me feel better.

regards,

Jim

Willman

I got a trailer a while of ago....

I didn't want the extra weight on my truck so i put it on my trailer.....

DSC03879.jpg

:)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Another vote for an aux tank or larger factory tank. You loose valuable usable space with cans and little to none with aux./larger tanks.
For me 36 gal. (500+miles) single tank on the 60 and 42 gal. (600+miles) dual tanks on the 40. Future plans for a small aux tank (~10 gal) on our 100 series given an cruising range of ~600 miles.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
My van has 40 gallons of on-board tankage, and I'm adding another 20 gallons of jerry can storage on the rear swing-out rack. At the current fuel consumption rate, that will give me approx. 700 miles of range. Unlike gasoline, I'm really not worried about diesel back there. Another aux. tank would be nice, but there isn't anything commercially available, and I have way too much to build on this truck as it is. I'd love to have 100 gallons of on-board capacity....maybe someday:)

Spence

Sloan

Explorer
LandCruiserPhil said:
Another vote for an aux tank or larger factory tank. You loose valuable usable space with cans and little to none with aux./larger tanks.
For me 36 gal. (500+miles) single tank on the 60 and 42 gal. (600+miles) dual tanks on the 40. Future plans for a small aux tank (~10 gal) on our 100 series given an cruising range of ~600 miles.

What sort of fuel tank set up are you running on your 40?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater