Best way to carry more fuel???

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Sloan said:
Where is the factory tank on the 40 located?

The factory tank on the late models like mine is located between the drive shaft and frame rail on the driver side and starts at the rear of the t-case rearward. On earlier 40's the tank is smaller and located inside the cruiser under the passenger seat. The Con-ferr aux tank is between the frame rails from the rear end to the rear bumper.

Do you have your spare on your Kaymar bumper? If so you can get a ~36 gals tank in the same place with no issue with loss of clearance.

Last edited:

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
I am begining to face the same issue with my own fj60. I have gone back and forth and I think I have finally decided to go with another tank and forget the jerry cans on the bumper.
- Phil, are saying that the aftermarket tank is equivalent to the stock tank + spare tire in terms of clearance? That sounds like a good deal, clearance isn't as much of a problem for me since I'm SOA but still I don't want it hangind down. Does anyone offer an aux tank for 60's or just a replacement?

Dylan

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
CaliCruiser said:
I am begining to face the same issue with my own fj60. I have gone back and forth and I think I have finally decided to go with another tank and forget the jerry cans on the bumper.
- Phil, are saying that the aftermarket tank is equivalent to the stock tank + spare tire in terms of clearance? That sounds like a good deal, clearance isn't as much of a problem for me since I'm SOA but still I don't want it hangind down. Does anyone offer an aux tank for 60's or just a replacement?

Dylan

The tank on the 60 extends 2" below the frame rails and is the full width of the rails. The factory tank straps were used, just extended to accommodate the new size. So far it has seen 21 years and 176K miles with no issues.

HTH

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
CaliCruiser said:
Wow! Sounds like a dependable setup to me. Do you have the one that Man-a-Fre carries or something else?

Its was a fab as you go tank back in '86 needed to adapt a FI pump for the conversion and there was not a lot of option for back then. It just a big metal box made to fit in the space available. Used the factory Toyota sender just extended it. Were the GM FI pump was install on top of the tank a hole was cut in the floor above and installed an 8" waterproof boat port to access the pump. This is a nice addition because the tank never has to be removed for service on the fuel pump if on expedition.

Sloan

Explorer
If you check in the hot rod mags there all kinds of vendors that will custom build a tank to your specs for what seems to be really reasonable.

Sloan

Explorer
Dylan I met you up at Surf n Turf, embarassed to admit it but I am the knucklehead that left his lights on in the brown FJ60. :oops:

I am looking at doing a dual battery setup...

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
Oh ya ok, I remember now. Dual battery setups are cool too. . . It looks like fj40jim updated that link I posted so maybe we will get some details on that tank setup.

Dylan

J_wings24

Observer
what are you Taco guys doing for aux tanks? I've never seen an aftermarket tank that mounts in a good location. Is there anything out there that replaces the factory spare tire? I would love to run an aux tank, Anyone ever run one of the bed toolbox/aux tank units?
Regards,
Joel

S

Scenic WonderRunner

J_wings24 said:
what are you Taco guys doing for aux tanks? I've never seen an aftermarket tank that mounts in a good location. Is there anything out there that replaces the factory spare tire? I would love to run an aux tank, Anyone ever run one of the bed toolbox/aux tank units?
Regards,
Joel

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/BodyComponents/AuxiliaryTanks.html

AT-8.jpg

AT-9.jpg

Terracoma

Adventurer
J_wings24 said:
... Anyone ever run one of the bed toolbox/aux tank units?

Most of the aftermarket tanks that I've seen are specifically noted as "not to be used for transporting flammable liquids, such as gasoline"... Strange, considering that almost every farm truck in America has a diesel transfer tank in the bed, but apparently diesel fuels are considered "combustible" rather than "flammable".

:REOutShootinghunter

... If there wasn't a legality/safety issue, I would definitely consider an in-bed auxiliary tank if it were able to fit bolted to the bed floor below a saddle-style toolbox.

Oh, to have a diesel Tacoma...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater