Best way to carry more fuel???

Scott Brady

Founder
Here is my install

Over three years since installed, and it has been - flawless...

tacoma_auxiliary.jpg

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
fbksurferjoe said:
I have come up with an idea for auxillary fuel that I would like your opinion on. I have been looking around west marines site and have found various fuel tanks like this one
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...URL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=78&classNum=79
I was thinking I could take a tank similar to this and make a temporary mount on my roof rack with a hose running down to my factory tank with a fitting like this to make it completely detachable.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...URL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=78&classNum=90
The best part about it would be the lack of electronics or pumps needed for it to work it would be all gravity fed.
The marine tanks handle the UV better than some, but all day in the hot sun it will swell and the tank, as well as fuel lines will rapidly degrade.
The Marine tank is a great idea. That is what I did first.
20 gallon and 21 gallon auxiliary fuel tanks

I mounted it in the toolbox to protect and insulate it. Gravity feed is fine, but you need to be able to shut it off. It will overfill and flood the vapor recovery system. I use a transfer pump and tank selector valve to control fluid transfer.

I have to second the install that Scott did. I used his template as the basis for my second tank install. The Isuzu tank is the best. Thanks again for that write up Scott
icon_rock.gif

AndrewP

Explorer
Sloan said:
Is it better to go aux. tank or carry 5 gal. cans on bumper? I have an 84 FJ60 that has a Kaymar rear bumper but the can holder would have to be fabbed because 1-5 gal. can doesn't extend the range that much. My theory on the larger fuel tank was to just fill it half way (20 gallons) around town and then full when on a trip.

Since it's an FJ60, your options are pretty limited. The only real option without custom fab work is the MAF tank as noted. I've seen Pismojim drag his over the Rubicon for years-it holds up just fine and carries close to 40 gallons. It uses the factory pump and sender so all the engineering has already been done.

My 80 has a factory tank and a custom transfer pump set up. That gives me 40 gallons on board, and close to 500 mile range. The install and the wiring was a fun project, but it took me several weeks, and I'm not sure I'd do it again.

With that said, even 5 gallons of extra fuel is usually the difference between running out and limping out to fuel, and carrying a 5 gallon can is virtually free.

Sloan

Explorer
It's funny after reading your post I realized that 5 gals in my FJ60 is roughly 60 miles and on foot that is a looooong way.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Would you be able to carry spare fuel cans on a hitch mounted rack? I was thinking about having some trays welded or bolted to my bike carrier. It mounts to the receiver hitch. Is that doable or even legal? I have a Thule three bike rack that I was thinking about for this.

-mg

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
nice nato cans on a roofrack or tire carrier...

my plan is to carry at least 2 cans of water and 2 cans of fuel...

10gal each, plus main gas tank and usually complement of disposable water jugs that we end up taking camping.

all told here's my est. for cost

nato can $35-50.00
water can $25.00
rack or custom welding to mount on tire carrier...$100.00-300.00
can holder $0.00 (part of rack) or AT style $60ish.00

even if you get two of each can you are still cheaper than the big tank...and there are no mechanical parts to add or break or not have spares for...

just keep a spare fuel pump and a super siphon.

also, the can's can be removed to reduce wind drag and weight.

thats what i'm gonna do...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I had a few Toyota buddies that used the rear mount tank out of a late 70s Ford truck and installed them behind the rear axle. Its a 19 gallon tank that is fairly simple to work with.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
kodiak1232003 said:
nice nato cans on a roofrack or tire carrier...

my plan is to carry at least 2 cans of water and 2 cans of fuel...

10gal each, plus main gas tank and usually complement of disposable water jugs that we end up taking camping.

all told here's my est. for cost

nato can $35-50.00
water can $25.00
rack or custom welding to mount on tire carrier...$100.00-300.00
can holder $0.00 (part of rack) or AT style $60ish.00

even if you get two of each can you are still cheaper than the big tank...and there are no mechanical parts to add or break or not have spares for...

just keep a spare fuel pump and a super siphon.

also, the can's can be removed to reduce wind drag and weight.

thats what i'm gonna do...

I did the same thing, 2 NATO gas carriers and go on with life, how hot does it have to be out on the desert before I worry about problems with the NATO cans?

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8952&d=1183055075

Also see attached picture on the rovers, they do trips and Baja and I was sold on the idea!

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
eurorom said:
I did the same thing, 2 NATO gas carriers and go on with life, how hot does it have to be out on the desert before I worry about problems with the NATO cans?

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8952&d=1183055075

Also see attached picture on the rovers, they do trips and Baja and I was sold on the idea!

well they used the same style in north africa in wwII, and i would assume temps got to be up in the 110's-120's...

i've never heard of one bursting. they are under pressure, but i believe the can flexes just enough to let gas expand. I've had the one nato can i have right now in 100+ heat for a whole day and no issues...

if they are crushed, though, they probaby would rupture and go boom, but you'd have to have just the right conditions and an ignition source. gasoline is actually rather hard to ignite as a spilled liquid. (i was a pyro as a kid..lol)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
kodiak1232003 said:
well they used the same style in north africa in wwII, and i would assume temps got to be up in the 110's-120's...

i've never heard of one bursting. they are under pressure, but i believe the can flexes just enough to let gas expand. I've had the one nato can i have right now in 100+ heat for a whole day and no issues...

if they are crushed, though, they probaby would rupture and go boom, but you'd have to have just the right conditions and an ignition source. gasoline is actually rather hard to ignite as a spilled liquid. (i was a pyro as a kid..lol)

The trick here is not to fill the can completely full, only 80-85% to allow room for expansion internally before distortion occurs externally.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Most OE fuel tanks have just such a captured volume in them. The top of the filler is not at the very top of the tank, which leaves an air bubble above the fuel for it to expand into rather than pushing out the filler like in the old days.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater