Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I'd minimize the number/size of the vents as well. Jeeps are not really luxury cars that seal up so tight. I'd think that just a couple holes would suffice. And adding them to the bottom is a good idea. As long as the storage is big enough to hold spare fluids or whatnot there will always be the potential for a spill. Opening the gate and just running a hose into it to clean it is a good idea.Maybe there is some way to add a small LED light to the inside so it comes on when the table is folded down? Gives you the ability to see whats in there and maybe even enough to see when working on the table?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...Maybe there is some way to add a small LED light to the inside so it comes on when the table is folded down? Gives you the ability to see whats in there and maybe even enough to see when working on the table?
Adding a light an either a manual switch or an automatic door open switch would be pretty easy, but what about power? There's no power to the tailgate, so the lighting would have to be wired to the nearest 12v source in the Jeep, which is under the dash I think (and of this is installed in the trailer, there may bit be a 12 source at all, unless the trailer is configured with power for camping). Then you'd need a way to jump the wire over the gap from the body to the tailgate, so either contacts or a flexible loom would be required. Or I suppose it could be battery powered and self-contained to avoid wiring.

But I do have a bunch of these cool switches pulled from full-size Wagoneers and CJ-8 World Cab tops, could mount one of these on the side of the StoreGate enclosure to keep it "factory"... ;)

PostalCargoSwitch.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Yeah, Sourcing the constant power would be a little difficult but not impossible. Maybe a battery powered LED is the short fix...*shrugs* I just think having light there is almost a must have. :)

loren85022

Explorer
A light would be handy, but IMHO, a custom tailgate just isnt complete unless it has a bottle opener strategically affixed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Last night I was thinking maybe two cup holders, and a third larger recess which could be handy for holding bolts and nuts for something you're working on if you're using the open door as a small work area, or a place to sit a some food prep items if you're using the door as a table for making sandwiches, etc.

StoreGateClosed3Holders.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm working on finishing the detailed design for a fiberglass hard tonneau. Here's a photo/drawing mockup of what it would look like on the black trailer, I've made it a lighter color so the details are visible.

TonneauMockup1.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
An alternate suggestion that's been made is to use the Safari Cab roof panel as the tonneau for the longer trailer tubs; here's an old photo of a Safari Cab roof being transported on the yellow trailer, this gives a rough idea of what that roof might look like as a tonneau.

TrailerTonneau1.jpg

I'm wondering if the sloped front of the Safari Roof is the best shape for a tonneau for the long trailers, or if one that's flat for the whole length would make more sense. If the Safari roof were to be used on the shorter trailers, only the rear flat part of the Safari Cab roof would be used for the tonneau, so the slope at the front wouldn't be part of the tonneau. The Safari roof is a few inches taller than the dedicated design would be, and the Safari roof has the sloped front, which the dedicated design wouldn't.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's another view of the tonneau design I've been working on... this one with an XJ Cherokee roof rack mounted on top:

TonneauMockup2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished up the new fiberglass side-swing the other day, and the weather was nice enough today to roll the finished trailer out of the garage for some photos of the completed trailer with the new tailgate.

FinalTent1-1.jpg

FinalTent2-1.jpg

SideSwingDone4-1.jpg

FinalTent3-1.jpg

FinalTent4-1.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The other day I posted a photo/drawing of a hard tonneau design with an XJ Cherokee roof rack on top:

TonneauMockup2.jpg

Now I'm thinking I'll design it so instead of the XJ rack, it would accept side-mounted Thule 543 "Fake Rain Gutters":

TonneauMockup3.jpg

With the Thule rain gutters and Thule cross bars, you could support the weight of a trailer-top tent. The XJ rack wouldn't support that kind of load.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago I showed a drawing of the "StoreGate" design for a tailgate storage compartment:

StoreGateOpen.jpg

I made up a mold for vacuum-forming the StoreGate shells from sheet plastic, and yesterday I got a bunch molded at a local plastics manufacturer.

StoreGateMolding1.jpg

StoreGateShell1.jpg

StoreGateShell2.jpg

Next step is to trim them up. I'll be installing a diamond plate door/table in the first prototype.

How much deeper would this be compared to the lock mechanism box on the tailgate? Looks about twice, is that right?

Also, would the molded plastic support the weight of the diamond plate door/table (mostly when opened)? More exactly, will the two support cables be attached to the storage box or through it directly to the tailgate?

Will this one have the cutouts on the bottom/sides for the air ports on newer TJs/LJs? I know our vehicles are not that air tight, still...

One more: will this work in conjunction with your LJ trunk storage box?

Regardless, great idea! <sigh> Yes, Jeff strikes again :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
How much deeper would this be compared to the lock mechanism box on the tailgate? Looks about twice, is that right?
The factory latch cover sticks out 1 1/2". This prototype version StoreGate sticks out about 4 1/4", I made it that depth as a proof-of-concept as perhaps the maximum you'd want it to stick out. If this ever went to production, it could be made in this depth and also a thinner version, it would depend on what people wanted and what a company who was going to market this might decide.

About this going to production: as with just about all of my designs and projects, I do these things as a hobby, and sometimes companies will contact me with an interest in marketing what I've designed. If someone/some company is interested in marketing this, they should contact me. I've got a manufacturer lined up (the one that molded these prototypes for me), so it would be an easy product for someone to bring to market.

Also, would the molded plastic support the weight of the diamond plate door/table (mostly when opened)? More exactly, will the two support cables be attached to the storage box or through it directly to the tailgate?
The cables will be supported by the shell of the storage box, it's strong enough.

Will this one have the cutouts on the bottom/sides for the air ports on newer TJs/LJs? I know our vehicles are not that air tight, still...
For 03-06 and JK Wranglers with tailgate vents, a version could be done with vents, either in the side as shown below, or in the bottom, I haven't decided where the best location would be yet.

StoreGateClosed0306.jpg

Since I've got seven of these shells molded, I'm going to make up a few different variations. Another variation I'll be building a prototype of is one that has only a stretchy net instead of the door/table (no venting concern with that one :)). This photo shows a mockup of the net done against the wood mold, I drew it before I had the plastic shells molded:

StoreGateFormMockup5.jpg

I'm also trying to decide what a good door/table material would be other than diamond plate aluminum. Maybe some people wouldn't like the look of diamond plate, or maybe there could also be a less expensive alternative. Haven't decided what it could be yet.

One more: will this work in conjunction with your LJ trunk storage box?
This deepest one would be a tight squeeze with the LJ trunk box, the trunk box would have to be pushed all the way forward tight up against the seat. Probably a 3" deep one would be a more comfortable fit with the trunk box. If the company that's marketing my trunk box was interested in marketing this, they'd probably want to offer a version that would be a good fit with the trunk box :).

Regardless, great idea! <sigh> Yes, Jeff strikes again :)

Glad you like it :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckshotiii