Overland Hadley

on a journey
Six Bright Lights

And here they are!

2005552378818916411_rs.jpg

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Overland Hadley said:
I think that I am going to put on a Manik brush guard for now.
I couldn't find a good picture of it on the new Taco, but don't those things decrease approach angle? Just a thought. Your truck is looking awesome!

Photog

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
I think I am going to run the wires down along the windshield and under the hood. Then run the switch wire through the firewall where the other wire clusters run. That is my thought at this time. Any other ideas?

The wires running along the windshield from the IPF lights on the rack to the battery under the hood. The gap is just the right size for the two wires.

2004808831048495370_rs.jpg

Try lifting the trim piece out of the windhield grove, and placing the wires under it. On my 2004 4Runner, my CB antenna wire fits nicely under the weather strip, and the weatherstrip snaps back in place. You never see the wires.

If it does not want to stay in place, you can stop by a windshield repair place, and pick up a few feet of the sticky stuff they use to seal windshields. If you put a thin strip of this in the bottom of the groove, it will hold everything together nicely (just stretch it until it is a thin as you need it).

As for your camper top, my old truck has a high-rise topper too. They are not very sturdy when pushed side-to-side. I reinforced mine. with a pair of steel hoops. They attached to the bed rails on each side, and followed the contour or the camper, on the inside. I bolted them to the top of the camper, by using longer bolts through the Yakima rack mounts. This was really sturdy, and it also gave me a place to make a few more mounts inside the camper. Mounts for a fan, extra light, clothes hamock, etc.

Great job on the truck so far.

Cheers!

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Photog said:
I reinforced mine. with a pair of steel hoops. They attached to the bed rails on each side, and followed the contour or the camper, on the inside. I bolted them to the top of the camper, by using longer bolts through the Yakima rack mounts. This was really sturdy, and it also gave me a place to make a few more mounts inside the camper. Mounts for a fan, extra light, clothes hamock, etc.
That sounds like a cool setup. Do you have any pics?

Photog

Explorer
HMR said:
That sounds like a cool setup. Do you have any pics?

Unfortunately I don't. It was a rig I built when I was in college, and sold a few years later (15 years ago). I wasn't thinking of photographing all this stuff back then (no internet, no digital cameras, etc). I got the idea from a camper that my girlfriend had on her truck. It had a steel frame, and aluminum skin. So mine had a minimal steel frame and a fiberglass skin.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
MountainBiker said:
I couldn't find a good picture of it on the new Taco, but don't those things decrease approach angle? Just a thought. Your truck is looking awesome!

Yes, you are right on the approach angle. I had thought that the one from Manik did not decrease it that much, but I looked over a drawing of it and looked at the mounting points on the truck and it does look like it will. So that idea is scratched.

I just want more lights!

Anybody have any ideas on light bars? I am not sure what I think of them.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
In-cab storage

I was finishing up some work today on storage inside the cab, so I thought I would post a few pictures.

More than half of the storage inside the cab will be used for storing camera equipment, the temperature is more moderate than in the back and it is a lot more secure.

I am going to be using a cooler as I feel no need for a fridge. I did buy a professional-heavy duty cooler made for extended river trips, they say it will hold ice for a week or more.

I am planning on buying or making some soft sided containers for holding the other food that I will want easily accessible in the cab, they will most likely sit on top of the cooler. Any ideas for a good way to do this?

Drivers side.
Two Pelican 1550 cases. Two Pelican 1300 cases. And one or two soft sided waterproof camera cases. (I use the soft sided waterproof cases to carry camera equipment inside internal frame backpacks)

2004025907450702888_rs.jpg

Passenger Side.
With an inch to spare the cooler sits along side the Pelican cases. The two green cases are the waterproof camera cases.

2004076526079740551_rs.jpg

The tripods will fit between the seat and the cooler.

2004079200954847738_rs.jpg

Chow time.

2001988227666235381_rs.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Cooler

Here is the cooler that I am going to be using. It is made by Icee-Kool. (Link Here) It is super strong as it is made from the same plastic that a kayak is made from, with the advantage of being able to do plastic weld repairs if needed. They say that it will hold ice for about a week, have not tried it for that long yet, but looks like it should work.

2005898825449930978_rs.jpg

2005802001548473569_rs.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Second Spare Wheel Needed!

Does anyone know the best place to get a new, steel spare wheel (07 Tacoma)? I've found used takeoff wheels, but it seems like a new one would be better. Does that seem right? And if so where's the best place to buy one?
Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy