Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Seems to me that unless it's damaged a used one should be just as good as a new one. However, I'm sure your local Toyota dealer would be happy to sell you a new wheel (coughoverpricedcough.) :D

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Overland Hadley said:
Does anyone know the best place to get a new, steel spare wheel (07 Tacoma)?
Why steel? You've got a nice set of alloys on their now. "Near New" Tacoma alloys can be found cheap. Keep your eye on the local Craigslist. Lots of guys selling Tacoma wheels when they switch to aftermarket wheels. I just picked up a brand new set of 4 (same size/style as yours) from CL for $200.

Other options:
-Ebay has lots of wheels (shipping can be $$$)
-Local salvage yard
-Local offroad shops often sell wheels "cash and carry" after a customer puts on an aftermarket set.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
What is driving wanting a new one instead of a take-off?

IMHO a take-off will be a far better deal as long as it hasn't hit something. Most take-offs are due to the owner going to some fancy aftermarket wheel.

Personally I prefer an alloy wheel. They weigh less and that does show in ride quality. I'd go with a take-off alloy wheel if easily found.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Check car-part.com and see if they inventory any yards in your area. I've seen tons of 16x7 Toyota spare rims on there, but usually they are $50-75. Toyota has been using the same size for a while, so you could find one from an older Tacoma, and probably other Toyotas as well.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Martinjmpr, HMR, ntsqd, Jacket,

Thanks for the info guys.

I have no plans of replacing my alloys. I want to buy a steel wheel to carry with a second spare tire. I am thinking about carrying a second spare because I tend to travel solo and drive to some remote places. There have been a few times when I thought that if I got more than one flat, it would have made things really interesting. I will also be carrying an air compressor and a repair kit, so hopfully that will be enough to keep me rolling.

As far as local resoures, for me they do not really exist, local for truck parts is a five hour drive (ONE WAY!). So everything has to be ordered from the internet.

Thanks for the ideas on used-takeoff wheels. Sounds like a used one should work fine, I just was not sure if buying a used one was a good idea. Yes, they sure are alot cheaper.

Thanks again.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanksgiving Day Border Run

2003841395585297322_rs.jpg

2002136772222537322_rs.jpg

2005675473401628794_rs.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I love my truck in the snow! We got two feet of fresh snow the other day, and it was great fun to go out and drive through the deep stuff. It will be nice to have new shoes (AT's), but that will have to wait till next summer. I do have Konig snow chains on order, need them before we head out to find a Christmas tree. Let it snow!

2000544872364815853_rs.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
hadley why not ditch the rim and spend the money on some tire irons? for a second and 3rd spare i carry just tires, its really not that hard to change them. i can usually get away with just the 8" irons i carry, but sometimes i need the bigger pry bar to do the final bit. if i had video proof i would post it.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
RHINO said:
hadley why not ditch the rim and spend the money on some tire irons? for a second and 3rd spare i carry just tires, its really not that hard to change them. i can usually get away with just the 8" irons i carry, but sometimes i need the bigger pry bar to do the final bit. if i had video proof i would post it.

I have thought about doing this, it is a good idea. It would save some weight and a little space, as I could pack some things into the empty tire. I have never used tire irons, but I am sure that it is not that hard to do. (Although I must say, at times I have a hard time with my mountain bike tire. Pulling a truck tire off kind of scares me.) The only thing I do not like is that the new tire would not be balanced on the rim. The whole idea for me is that I could get a flat or two and just continue with the trip and not have to find a tire shop and sit around having work done. (I have spent way too much of my travel time sitting in repair shops already.) Also it would be a lot quicker in the field to just throw on a new wheel and tire. Anyway, thanks for the idea. I will keep it in mind.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
I love my truck in the snow! We got two feet of fresh snow the other day, and it was great fun to go out and drive through the deep stuff. It will be nice to have new shoes (AT's), but that will have to wait till next summer. I do have Konig snow chains on order, need them before we head out to find a Christmas tree. Let it snow!

2000544872364815853_rs.jpg

I love driving in the snow, but I like winter. I guess I have to being from Canada. I use RUD chains on my coopers if I do some winter wheeling and I love them for grip and the traction is amazing! You'll love your chains when you get them! they can be a life saver.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
well its certainly not for everyone and your right about not being balanced, off road its no biggie, on road it'll just get me back. ive done it twice now,, and the second time i dropped two golf balls in, went down the highway pretty good. have you considered tubes ?,,, you only have to dismount one side of a tire to install a tube and it'll still be balanced,, mostly. i have one tube for the 37's on my landcruiser, havent had to use it,,yet.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
RHINO said:
well its certainly not for everyone and your right about not being balanced, off road its no biggie, on road it'll just get me back. ive done it twice now,, and the second time i dropped two golf balls in, went down the highway pretty good. have you considered tubes ?,,, you only have to dismount one side of a tire to install a tube and it'll still be balanced,, mostly. i have one tube for the 37's on my landcruiser, havent had to use it,,yet.

No, I have not considered tubes. That would work good as far as space and weight are concerned. I wonder if they would work with the Toyota rims, as they have the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS?) inside? (I think the TPMS is a box on the inside of the rim) Are your wheels alloy or steel? How hard would it be to hurt my alloys with the tire irons while installing a tube?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
If you do opt for tubes, and it's something I've done in the past with good results, I highly suggest that the tubes be packed in a computer type anti-static bag using a vacuum sealer.

The reason isn't for static, it's sunlight & ozone. The reflectorized bag denies sunlight while the vacuum denies ozone. They keep a LOT longer when this is done. Always check the folds in the tube for cracks b4 installing them.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
Overland Hadley said:
How hard would it be to hurt my alloys with the tire irons while installing a tube?

thats a loaded Q, considering my wheels are dinged and scratched from wheeling more than i could ever do with tire irons. i have done both steel and alloy and i admit i have slipped with the irons and scratched a bit, they do make plastic rim protectors available through motorcycle shops.
i dont think your TPMS will work with tubes in.

Photog

Explorer
To use the tubes with the TPMS wheels, you will have to install another valve stem, where the tube can use the hole. THis valve stem would have to be removed when you install the tube. Leave the TPMS stem in place. This is a trail repair; TPMS might be cranky until you repair the tire, and remove the tube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy