Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
RHINO said:
i dont think your TPMS will work with tubes in.

I am not worried about the TPMS not working with the tubes in. What I was thinking was if the tubes would work with the rim as it has the TPMS box inside. Would the TPMS box hurt the tube or the tube hurt the TPMS box?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
ntsqd said:
If you do opt for tubes, and it's something I've done in the past with good results, I highly suggest that the tubes be packed in a computer type anti-static bag using a vacuum sealer.

The reason isn't for static, it's sunlight & ozone. The reflectorized bag denies sunlight while the vacuum denies ozone. They keep a LOT longer when this is done. Always check the folds in the tube for cracks b4 installing them.

Thanks ntsqd.

Now, to find a vacuum sealer....

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Photog said:
To use the tubes with the TPMS wheels, you will have to install another valve stem, where the tube can use the hole. THis valve stem would have to be removed when you install the tube. Leave the TPMS stem in place. This is a trail repair; TPMS might be cranky until you repair the tire, and remove the tube.

Photog,

Are you saying that I would need to pull the TPMS valve stem (no problem, have the tool right here) when I would put a tube in, and pull the tubes valve stem through?

Or, are you saying that I would need a second valve stem on the rim? And I would then pull the tubes valve stem through this secondary valve stem hole, leaving the original TPMS valve stem in place? And that would mean a secondary valve stem on all five wheels?

Thanks

Photog

Explorer
I was suggesting the addition of another valve stem and another hole in the wheel. If it is an easy task to just remove the "TPMS valve stem", then that would be my choice. Remove the TPMS valve stem, and insert the tube's valve stem through the hole.

Sorry if I was not writting clearly. I was thinking of a way to leave the TPMS in the wheel, while adding a tube. Probably not a good idea, as it is another place to leak air, and have problems.

Can you pull the TPMS out, if you only break one bead to insert the tube?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
heeltoe989 said:
I use RUD chains on my coopers if I do some winter wheeling and I love them for grip and the traction is amazing! You'll love your chains when you get them! they can be a life saver.

Do you ever run chains on the front tires of your 05? From what I have read, and from looking under there, there is not enough room with the IFS.

I found the RUD chains website. They look like really good chains. I could not find any pricing info, but I guess that does not matter as I have already bought a pair.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Photog said:
Can you pull the TPMS out, if you only break one bead to insert the tube?

Now that I think of it, I am not sure.

It looks like the little box on the inside of the rim is attached to the valve stem. So to take out the valve stem, the little box would come out as well. But I do not know how easily that comes out or how much space is needed to take it out.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Here is a picture of the Toyota TPMS.

2004899714068504022_rs.jpg

Now, as far as taking it apart, and out, to use a tube to fix a flat, I still am not sure on that.

Photog

Explorer
It probably would not be easy to add another hole and stem, to a factory wheel. You might have to take the wheels to a machine shop, to put in the hole and countersink the faces for a good seal on a new valvestem. It depends on the wheel design and the stem's limitations.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Photog said:
It probably would not be easy to add another hole and stem, to a factory wheel. You might have to take the wheels to a machine shop, to put in the hole and countersink the faces for a good seal on a new valvestem. It depends on the wheel design and the stem's limitations.

I do not really feel like drilling any holes in my rims. Better to find another way of fixing a flat. (sure is an interesting idea though)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Has anybody taken their TPMS out to change valve stems or to use a tube? Can it be done by only breaking one bead on the tire?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I made a trip to the Toyota dealer last week and was able to get things set up to have the rear suspension upgraded to the heavy duty four leaf pack. I think this should give me about an inch of lift on the rear, which I need as the truck is getting heavy. I plan to upgrade to Alcans or Deavers in a year or two, but for now I need to put the money into other things on the truck. So, as this was free, it will help for now. I will post before and after pictures.

I big thanks to slooowr6 for helping me with the TSB info!

While I was at the dealer I had this installed. Any guesses?

2006031786217044038_rs.jpg

If you are from the north you will recoginze that this is a block heater, for helping get the truck started when it is twenty below (or colder!).

kcowyo

ExPo Original
One of the most important mods you can make for those that live in the snow belt. :punk03:

Keep an eye on it though. We have a dentist here in town who had one improperly installed on his Yukon. He plugged it one night, while the Yukon was parked in his garage (...??? ). He was awoken at 4am and found that it malfunctioned and burned his Yukon and his 3 car (luckily) detached garage to the ground.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
kcowyo said:
One of the most important mods you can make for those that live in the snow belt. :punk03:

Keep an eye on it though. We have a dentist here in town who had one improperly installed on his Yukon. He plugged it one night, while the Yukon was parked in his garage (...??? ). He was awoken at 4am and found that it malfunctioned and burned his Yukon and his 3 car (luckily) detached garage to the ground.

Sadly my truck does not get parked inside. I will however try to avoid starting a forest fire.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
'Tis the season, for new snow chains.

2002455492657336467_rs.jpg

2002479787454564840_rs.jpg

2002416036828826466_rs.jpg

They are Konig snow chains, made in Italy and sold here in the US by Thule as the XB-16. I bought them from amazon.com (link Here) I have not had the chance to use them yet, but I am hoping that in the next week I can test them out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy