Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Big difference there with the TSB installed!

Take it from me, if you get Deavers go with the HD 12 leaf pack. The rear suspension on these trucks needs the additional strength especially if you carry expedition gear.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
TACODOC said:
Big difference there with the TSB installed!

Take it from me, if you get Deavers go with the HD 12 leaf pack. The rear suspension on these trucks needs the additional strength especially if you carry expedition gear.

Thanks Tacodoc.

I have not done any research yet, but when the time comes, 12 is sounding like a good number.
What shocks are you using in the rear with your Deavers?

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
Thanks Tacodoc.

I have not done any research yet, but when the time comes, 12 is sounding like a good number.

If your going to look at deavers, I would take a good look at Old Man Emu Dakars.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
Are your Dakars 7 leaf? And I take it you like them?

yes, 5 leafs and 2 overloads. I love them. I tried a deaver 10 pack and a 12 pack and nothing has performed better under loaded wheeling better than the OME. Grated they don't flex as well as the deavers, the deavers don't have any overload spring unless you specifically ask for it from deaver, but the OME load carrying is what I was after. I had the truck loaded with 800lbs of weight on a camping & wheeling trip and the springs did very well flexing under that loading.

I've attached a picture of me on a make shift ramp flexing with the weight.

PS - you can grease the OME leafs, cause they have grease fittings in each individual leaf.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
So you have had Deaver 10, Deaver12 and OME on your 06?

Seeing that picture reminded me how exciting it will be to get Shrockwork sliders on my truck. Those will go on next summer.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
Seeing that picture reminded me how exciting it will be to get Shrockwork sliders on my truck. Those will go on next summer.

yeah I love mine. I just put them on this summer after a couple of months of them sitting in the garage.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Overland Hadley said:
Be sure to order early.
I've been waiting 2.5 months and still no sign of them. I could've learned how to weld my own by now.

heeltoe989

Explorer
HMR said:
Be sure to order early.
I've been waiting 2.5 months and still no sign of them. I could've learned how to weld my own by now.

yeah mine took a while too. They said that they had done a revision to the slider itself and they where changing the jig cause the old slider had been hitting the body of the truck. when I got them there was a figment problem with the middle cross member rivets. Shrockworks just supplied a 1/4 shim at no charge and everything went on great and they work great. I dealt with Nick at shrockworks and he was great.

You've already done it but maybe give them a call and see how much longer they are going to be?

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
heeltoe989 said:
You've already done it but maybe give them a call and see how much longer they are going to be?
The response I got before the holidays was "a couple more weeks".
Still waiting for a reply to my latest email.

:rolleyes:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Overland Hadley said:
Thanks Tacodoc.

I have Bilstein 5100's in the rear, they came with the Demello Stage 2 kit.

As far as the OME Dakar springs, I have heard nothing but good things about them.

slooowr6

Explorer
Darkar is nice if you plan to carry heavy weight. The info I got from ARB Australia, they test it with ~800lbs in bed and with that weight it still gives about 1" lift.

heeltoe989

Explorer
slooowr6 said:
Darkar is nice if you plan to carry heavy weight. The info I got from ARB Australia, they test it with ~800lbs in bed and with that weight it still gives about 1" lift.

the nice thing also with the Dakar's is they don't give a harsh ride on the road when the truck is empty, because of the progressive spring and duel overloads. Most overland trucks carry heavy weight and it all depends on what you really are going to do with the truck. OME or Dakar's their both great springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy