Here is the finished product.

2000236341682356995_rs.jpg

2000218308619238667_rs.jpg

2000290256805556159_rs.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Sleeping platform: part two.

The build.

I wanted to build something that would be as light weight as possible, while still allowing full access to storage. I used 1x pine and plywood, and everything was oil stained and has three coats of marine varnish.

The front of the storage area is drawer space, and the back is accessed from the top. I was going to use drawers on 100% slides, but then deceided that removable drawers would nice, and they can slide out on the tail gate. This way I can carry the drawer full of cooking items to a picnic table and have everything right there.

On the sleeping platform I needed an extension as the bed of the truck is a little on the short side. The drawers will be pulled out to fully support the extension.

Everything fits nice and tight, so nothing should slide or move around. I have cut indoor-outdoor carpet to fit inside the storage areas, this will keep things from sliding around, and if anything spills it can easily be cleaned up.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

2003733947667271154_rs.jpg

2003733461476027037_rs.jpg

2003799420773486124_rs.jpg

2001956022409487056_rs.jpg

2001995153062571876_rs.jpg

2001931819045073677_rs.jpg

2005450606160735382_rs.jpg

2005486676179349006_rs.jpg

2005451335717071922_rs.jpg

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Sleeping platform

Very cool design, I like it.
How long does it take you to put it in and take it out?
Cheers,
P

Overland Hadley

on a journey
p1michaud said:
Very cool design, I like it.
How long does it take you to put it in and take it out?
Cheers,
P

Thanks. I went through a couple design changes as I build it, so I hope this final design works out.

The second spare tire takes a while to get in and out, but the rest only takes about five minutes.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
kcowyo said:
Excellent write up, pics and details.

Hope it serves you well on your upcoming big trip. :box:

My biggest concern is that I am taller than the bed of the truck is long. So nights that are rainy or buggy, when I can not have the tailgate open, I might just have to set up the tent. But I have slept enough nights with my feet sticking out of a truck to know that it is not a big problem.

rovingowl

Observer
nice work, and i like the idea of the platform extension. could you explain the extra blocking on the horizontal and front to back center pieces? is it just for extra support? and what thickness plywood did you use for the deck? and gues on overall weight?

richard cabesa

Adventurer
rovingowl said:
nice work, and i like the idea of the platform extension. could you explain the extra blocking on the horizontal and front to back center pieces? is it just for extra support? and what thickness plywood did you use for the deck? and gues on overall weight?

Can't guess on his overall weight but a sheet of 3/4" PG Birch is 63 lbs.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
rovingowl said:

The extra blocking is for support and extra strenth, without adding much weight. It is also a by-product of some design changes.

I used 5/8 AC plywood, again keeping the weight as light as possible.

I am not sure of the weight, as I have not had the chance to get out the scales.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Good work on the platform!

It will be PLENTY strong. My platform is much less "built" than yours and has been supporting a few hundred pounds of gear over rough terrain for ~2 years without a problem. It also stays soaked with salt water for days at a time throughout the year. I completely waterproofed mine but you've done a more thorough job in protecting the wood. One observation: If you plan to haul gear directly on top of the platform it will wear through your varnish quickly. Any plans for a rubber mat or piece of carpet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy