Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

southpier

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a good project. What are your plans with the space?

i think there's a vast amount of protected storage waiting to be used in the back half of the access cab.

the seat bottoms & console/ seat belts came out with a wrench. there's two different pop out panels on the backrest that allow access for a bably seat restraint. i'm assuming that's typical how the rest of the panels are held in. so now i can start digging away at it. after i do some more research and see how others have made out.

originally, i thought this space would be a good spot for the spare tire, but it seemed to have been met with little enthusiasm. and if it was such a good idea, someone else would have already done it!

thanks for the tacoma world link; will prove helpful

Overland Hadley

on a journey
i think there's a vast amount of protected storage waiting to be used in the back half of the access cab.

thanks for the tacoma world link; will prove helpful

The storage space in the A cab is really good. I have mine stacked high with hard cases.

Post a couple photos when your project in the access cab is finished.

flippinover

Overland Hadley are you happy with the bumper light bar and lights? I am just in that boat that I don't want to add the weight of the ARB. It seems there are a lot of owners that are having problems with the front suspensionwith that bumper.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Overland Hadley are you happy with the bumper light bar and lights? I am just in that boat that I don't want to add the weight of the ARB. It seems there are a lot of owners that are having problems with the front suspensionwith that bumper.

Not only is the weight of an ARB an issue, but the bumper can exert forces on the truck frame that it was not designed to take. eg ending up with bent frame.

Sometimes I do not like the looks of my light bar, but it is solid. It will hold my weight without any flex. So the lights do not vibrate when on rough roads. And I feel it would provide some minor protection in the event of an animal strike.

In the end I have mixed feelings about the light bar, but for me it is the best solution I have found.

southpier

Expedition Leader
Not an access cab (or a Tacoma for that matter) but I did it. Post #173

thanks for this link. it's pretty much what i want to do. at one point i even entertained putting the full size spare behind the passenger seat, but seem to lack conviction! it's going under the bed platform, centered, & against the cab. never kept my spare under the truck - bad karma!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I need some battery advice.

Will this battery work in my Gen 2 Tacoma? Link It is a Sears Platinum P3, Group 75/86dt, the one featured in the Overland Journal battery test. This is the only Platinum that has the accessory posts on it. The battery will fit in the OE tray, and I have some cable extenders to deal with the reversed posts. Is there anything else that I need to check?

Any advice?

Thanks guys.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
If all you are after is the extra spots to attach to, an option is to get a terminal fitting like:
http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Accessories/product-nl/118173-battery-terminal-positive
I believe the 2nd gen (I have a first gen) also use the P-5 which has 30 more CCA and 10 more reserve minutes than the P-3.

Though if you go dual batteries (Saw your post in the dual battery thread) the P-3 should be easier to fit-- and should be more than enough to meet the truck's needs. But... If you used P-3s in a dual battery set up you would need to cover the side posts as they might hit the other battery and they would not be accusable in a dual battery set up—at least they way Columbia Overland has it set up.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was waiting to order a set of AsFir skids, but after more than 3 months of "in about three weeks" I got worried I would not have them for my spring trip.

So I looked again at Bud's skids, and I realized they are a much better product. I also talked to Bud on the phone and was impressed with his business, so I wanted to support his work.

I now have the front and mid skids on order. I am doing a hybrid system, front skid will be 3/16 steel and from there back it will be 1/8 steel, thus keeping the weight down. I am only ordering the front two at this point, in the future I can add the transfer skid and/or gas tank skid, but unless I start rock crawling I do not feel the need for the extra skids.

Will paint the skids with Rust-Oleum.

Last edited:

sasaholic

Adventurer
if i didnt build my skids i would have went with bud without a doubt. i havent heard on bad thing about him or his business practices. some of the more hardcore guys end up gusseting there skids, but thats no biggie. i build mine very similar to his and there STRONG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal