Can't think of a catchy name but I'm ALL IN now.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Looks slick! Did you pick a width of door and build a cabinet to suit or trim the door to fit your cabinet?

The door came in 8 foot long pieces and was built for the cabinet. 56 cuts and 112 deburred edges and a few hours later you have a custom size door.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Yikes. It looks great but I doubt I'm that dedicated LOL. So your cabinet is about 4'-6" tall and 20" wide? (I actually did some math assuming the door parts are an inch wide to come up with that number and assumed there's 2 or 3 pieces hidden at the top when the door is fully closed. How fussy was the track to assemble? Did your cabinet have to be anything other than square for the track to work? Sorry for all the questions but damn every time you do a new project my drawings for my own start to change!

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
19X36 opening. Slats are 3/4" wide. Tracks must be parallel. I had to put some shims in the back as the plywood sides aren't on the same plane as the steel frame. I added a conceal across the top to hide where the door makes the corner. Other than what felt like 50 million cuts with the hacksaw it was a breeze to install. #6 button head screws in the corner pieces and #4 button head in the rails. Might do 1 more opening in the van with it.
1 drawback is you need clearance at the rear of the cabinet for the door to go down the back when it's open. If you have a cabinet you want to stuff something in like a duffle bag or blankets you may want a wall in the back to keep from interfering with the door. Also, the rails interlock with the corner pieces at 90 degrees so you couldn't follow the angle of the van wall down the back. If your cabinet is the same depth and height it won't go down the back at all though.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
HA so my math was good just my guessing was off by 25%. Typical. Did the manufacturer have a spec for how long to cut the the pieces vs opening width? That is to say, did they specify end-play? I'm getting more and more interested in this after google image searching airplane interiors. Dang. I hear ya on the same depth & height means no need to slide down the back. I also like the idea of a cabinet where the tambour makes the face and a portion of the top, like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/206754230/vintage-fin-teak-tambour-roll-top?ref=market but with a partially solid top and partially tambour. Anyway guess I have more research to do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven