Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
... I pulled the old Dometic out of the Tiger this morning, I'll build the new slide drawer next week, when the Edgestar comes in. Looking forward to it.
I may not be far behind you. I have been struggling with the ammonia absorption fridge in our trailer. Spoiled with the Edgestar in our last trailer I suspect. Now that I have another Edgestar , it may replace the Dometic too. For now I will pack them both if I can.

RioWilson

FYI: compactappliance -> openboxdirect has a couple of the 43's for $379.05 The price on these seems to fluxuate pretty widely, but this was decent so I bought one... :) fwiw they show 5 left. I pulled the old Dometic out of the Tiger this morning, I'll build the new slide drawer next week, when the Edgestar comes in. Looking forward to it.

http://www.openboxdirect.com/FP430O...-Refrigerator-Freezer/FP430OB,default,pd.html

I have been looking at an Edgestar for a while now. One question I haven't been able to conclusively answer is whether or not you can use it as a refrigerator and freezer (i.e. Is one section colder than the other?) I suspect it's either/or rather than both at once. Can anyone advise? My use would be primarily for food and drink, but I like ice for my drinks and was wondering if one section could be used to keep ice.

Thanks in advance.

trasko

Adventurer
I have been looking at an Edgestar for a while now. One question I haven't been able to conclusively answer is whether or not you can use it as a refrigerator and freezer (i.e. Is one section colder than the other?) I suspect it's either/or rather than both at once. Can anyone advise? My use would be primarily for food and drink, but I like ice for my drinks and was wondering if one section could be used to keep ice.

It cannot by default nor have I heard of anyone accomplishing this by way of some modification. I haven't looked, though.

My #1 camping luxury is an ice-cold drink. I was worried about a total lack of ice when I got the fridge but I've found that just having cold drinks (but no ice) is totally fine. Everything tastes better out camping. :)

tibfibber

Observer
I have been looking at an Edgestar for a while now. One question I haven't been able to conclusively answer is whether or not you can use it as a refrigerator and freezer (i.e. Is one section colder than the other?) I suspect it's either/or rather than both at once.

The answer it seems is one, or the other. One of the guys on the edgestar modification thread had a serious go at it, and concluded " NO GO "

[Xterabl writes]I spent months trying to make a separate freezer compartment...crazy things like rectangular ducting for cold air to foam box structures...even cutting through the aluminum "skin" in attempt to prevent thermal conduction thus isolating a partitioned freezer...and NO GO. Just could not work. Now, when the fridge cycles frequently, such as hot ambient environment of 80-100 degrees, there is good freezing. But in low-cycling conditions (50-70 degree ambient temp), the two compartments tend to become more equal in temp due to longer time between compressor cooling.
Heh, I even tried adding low-power PC fan(s) for moving coldest air to freezer compartment.
But the good news is that after all this abuse over the 2.5 years I've owned it, even after I've giving up on the freezer compartment idea, the fridge still works perfectly well for its intended purpose...rugged environment refrigeration.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ge-Modifications-Thread?p=1258875#post1258875

03rubicon

Adventurer
Just thinking it would be best to get a 12 volt ice maker for the small amount of time that you would need it to run. No need for it too run all the time if you only need ice for a few hours at a time.

magentawave

Adventurer
Too bad there isn't a way to make the Edgestar be a fridge AND freezer at the same time. What do you suggest if you want to store ice cream or freeze fish that you caught?

Xterabl

Adventurer
Set the thermostat to 15-20 degrees F. Put your frozen goods at the BOTTOM of the fridge (Edgestar thermostat temp sensor is at the bottom, back of the fridge (below the textured aluminum "skin") based on my experiments). Cut out a foam panel divider...about 2-4" thick...which will seal tightly around the perimeter of the fridge and put this on top of your frozen goods. Now you have created a frozen goods compartment. Put your fridge-temp goods on top of this foam. Hopefully, these will not freeze while the below-foam items will stay frozen. If the top compartment items DO freeze...they you can (1) try raising the thermostat temperature to 20-25 degrees (pretty warm for freezer goods), or (2) open the fridge lid periodically to prevent it from getting too cold (yeah I know that will waste 'lectricity).
Any other ideas?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Set the thermostat to 15-20 degrees F. Put your frozen goods at the BOTTOM of the fridge (Edgestar thermostat temp sensor is at the bottom, back of the fridge (below the textured aluminum "skin") based on my experiments). Cut out a foam panel divider...about 2-4" thick...which will seal tightly around the perimeter of the fridge and put this on top of your frozen goods. Now you have created a frozen goods compartment. Put your fridge-temp goods on top of this foam. Hopefully, these will not freeze while the below-foam items will stay frozen. If the top compartment items DO freeze...they you can (1) try raising the thermostat temperature to 20-25 degrees (pretty warm for freezer goods), or (2) open the fridge lid periodically to prevent it from getting too cold (yeah I know that will waste 'lectricity).
Any other ideas?

I think that your idea is a great start. Another way might be wire baskets similar to the Engels where some items are suspended about half way down.
400276.jpg

On the inside of the Edgestar fridge how are the freon tubes routed along the cold plate? A vertical or horizontal zig-zag?

magentawave

Adventurer
Good idea and I have some questions about this please...

1) Someone in a previous thread said that the cooling element is located in the top perimeter walls of the Edgestar which is contrary to what you are saying. Who is right? Have you tried the idea you mentioned? Was it successful?

2) You are suggesting to put the frozen stuff at the very bottom and then cover that section with a thick piece of foam, right? I'm asking for clarification because the entire interior of my 80 quart Edgestar is made of textured aluminum skin.

Thanks

Any other ideas?

Xterabl

Adventurer
Teotwaki, yes, that basket idea sounds like a great approach!

Magentawave:
I did not contradict that. The COOLING "tubes", or whatever, do indeed go around the perimeter of the top of the fridge...it is a 2-3" wide/thick/tall band beginning about an inch below the top of the fridge and going more or less all around the perimeter (this is the best I can guess from seeing how the frost sets up when compressor is running).
It's the thermostat SENSOR that is at the bottom, located approximately as I described.
So: Cooling at the top (and cold air falls to the bottom); sensing at the bottom.

Yes, I relize its entirely aluminum which helps keep uniform temperature throughout. In my previous post, which someone quoted (for you, I believe), I identified this as a hurdle for making a separate freezer compartment. If you want to hack away at this, go for it! In my final throes of desperation, I actually tried a little bit of cutting it and...well I wish I didn't.
The "foam on the floor" method is something that I did not try (I tried just about everything else to no avail); but I heave heard about others using it to some success with other fridges.
Anyways...just play around and see what you see. Foam is cheap!

magentawave

Adventurer
The problem with top opening fridge/freezers is that everything is piled on top of each other which requires digging through everything to get what you want. Since you mentioned using wire baskets (One came with my 80 quart Edgestar), have you guys figured out a more efficient way to keep your stuff in the fridge so you can more easily access it?

I think that your idea is a great start. Another way might be wire baskets similar to the Engels where some items are suspended about half way down.
View attachment 143214

On the inside of the Edgestar fridge how are the freon tubes routed along the cold plate? A vertical or horizontal zig-zag?

4x4junkie

Explorer
I try to pack it according to which items I'll use use first & last. Stuff I don't expect to use until well into the trip (after other stuff gets used up first) goes in first (on the bottom). I also put a divider made of thin plywood inside the main basket so I'm not having to fight as much with other items trying to consume the space left after you remove something fairly large like a half-gallon of milk or OJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC