Climb and Crawl 2006- 5/19-21/06: Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Brady

Founder
OK, lots of new details in the first two posts.

I need a 4wd trail leader for Saturday (any takers?)

This will be a fun trip, and I will plan on doing a Morocco slide show too.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Trekking and Climbing:
The hike into Devils Canyon is "technical" and will require a few rappels. :rappel:
Anyone that wishes to do the trek needs a harness, descending device, carabiner(s), and a personal anchor like a sling or two. Anyone need help in this department? I'm glad to do so.

Also, explorers ye be warned: Poison ivy is extensive in the canyon. From what I read, there are some pools at the end, though. Bring a suit or a harebrained level of adventure and go naked.

It could very well be a full-day program because the going is slow - and it's only 2 miles to the pools :). I totally suggest sporting some Keens (or something similar) on your feet. Hiking boots probably won't be the best choice because we'll have some water to slosh through. We'll have to do some class-5 climbing to get out, but nothing extraordinarily difficult. Pack enough water and food for the day, too. My apologies if this info is too basic.

I'll have several ropes as well as all the gear required to set up anchors. We can set up several mild to moderate top rope routes near the campsite, too.

Here's to life,
Mark

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Mark

I am a beginner climber and have only done "Top Roping" at my local rock gym. I am doing the "Moderate" routes now, but that is where i am at.

Will there be routes for my level? If not, no biggie, just curious.

I have my own harness, shoes, 2 carabiners, decending device and such, but thats about it.

As for the poison ivy, i can SEE it and get it! :D i work outdoors and have got it many times and am very allergic! not fun! :D

Looking forward to this!

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
I swiped some photos from hikearizona.com. The canyon looks phenominal:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Notice the person standing in the notch towards the background of this image:
4.jpg

Yow-zah!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Boston Mangler said:
Hey Mark

I am a beginner climber and have only done "Top Roping" at my local rock gym. I am doing the "Moderate" routes now, but that is where i am at.

Will there be routes for my level? If not, no biggie, just curious.

I have my own harness, shoes, 2 carabiners, decending device and such, but thats about it.
That's perfect.

There are several routes in the 5.5 to 5.8 neighborhood. On the canyoneering trek, we'll just have to be able to scramble back up the rappels...they say these are no more difficult than 5.0. But if we're satisfied at the first of several pools, it's a short rap anyway.

Cheers,
Mark

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Wow Mark, that looks awesome! Did I mention that I will join you guys? I was able to secure passage in the shotgun seat in the legendary BajaTaco. :bowdown:
I'll fly out to Phoenix where I'll meet up with Chris.

At this point I only have a harness, looks like I should add some gear and maybe check out the local climbing gym:rappel:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Oooohhh man, I have looked at this canyon route before, but now Mark has me drooling all over again. I soooo want to do this. Mark, I can't thank you and Brooke enough for leading us through this. I have harness, shoes (Mad Rock for the walls around camp, Keens for the canyon) and locking carabiner but need to get a descending device. Is there one in particular you recommend? How about the personal anchor - is it something I should get?

That last pic is incredible...

:rappel:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
articulate said:
That's perfect.

There are several routes in the 5.5 to 5.8 neighborhood. On the canyoneering trek, we'll just have to be able to scramble back up the rappels...they say these are no more difficult than 5.0. But if we're satisfied at the first of several pools, it's a short rap anyway.

Cheers,
Mark

Ha! I have no clue what 5.5 and 5.8 mean. I am guessing the higher the # the harder the climb? Or is it like golf? :D

Yeah, as for an anchor, i am 265lbs! That should be a good enough anchor, no? :D :D :D

articulate

Expedition Leader
whitethaiger said:
Wow Mark, that looks awesome! Did I mention that I will join you guys? I was able to secure passage in the shotgun seat in the legendary BajaTaco. :bowdown:
I'll fly out to Phoenix where I'll meet up with Chris.

At this point I only have a harness, looks like I should add some gear and maybe check out the local climbing gym:rappel:
Is that so?!

Excellent. Well, as far as the canyon is concerned we aren't doing anything more than what we did last fall. Except the water will be far more pleasant. New gear is unnecessary - I have an assortment of carabiners and rappelling devices that I'm happy to loan out. But I won't stand in the way of good money spent on cool gear. :)

If you want to participate in the top roped climbing near the campsite, climbing shoes are a good idea.

See you there!

Mark

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Man, didn't even post-process last weekends trip and already I can't wait for this one:jumping:

Re gear, sounds like I should look for some shoes. Any recommendations from the experts what to look out for, what's good?
Then, if the adventure budget allows, I can look into the other gear.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Baja, Boston (hey...look at those place names....)
Sorry about that. The only pertinent thing you should have of your own is the harness. While everyone will need the biner and sling/anchor for the trek, it ain't necessary to purchase. I can supply this stuff to a degree - I have 5 or 6 rapping devices and a pile of slings and anchors. But I know some people like to just have their own goods and not worry about it. So, here is the classic ATC style belay/rap device (the official MarkDStephens.com recommendation):
471034Prd.jpg

Less than $20 at REI. For a trip like this, don't bother with something like the Gri-Gri or a "Reverso." You can also use a figure-eight style belay/rap device, and that looks like this:
471098Prd.jpg

What ever suits your pleasure. :) I have a few of each kind.

An anchor would just be a sling - and they come in four billion lengths, widths, materials and so forth. Again, I've more of these than I can use in my lifetime. They look like this:
709160_350Prd.jpg

and run between $5 and $20 depending. A whole wide world at REI

Let's see if I can say this more accurately: You'll need your own harness for sure, and I'll have everything else. If you want to purchase your own stuff, check out the items above. :beer:

And WOW! I'm stoked so many of you are doing the canyon. I thought the BajaTaco machine would be driving the trail. :ylsmoke:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal