Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
The CBI's are better looking for sure...betting the ARB would take an animal strike better. Like the hoop version of the CBI...IIRC they make it aluminum too. View attachment 486145

Yes, I'm sure the ARB will take its better. I have had a few close calls, but never hit one. I don't consider that as an advantage for my uses. Risk factor/benefit just isn't there. I'll be running stock for quite a while. Even if I happen to hit a deer tomorrow, I'll just replace with OEM. I will definitely get a rear bumper, though.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes, I'm sure the ARB will take its better. I have had a few close calls, but never hit one. I don't consider that as an advantage for my uses. Risk factor/benefit just isn't there. I'll be running stock for quite a while. Even if I happen to hit a deer tomorrow, I'll just replace with OEM. I will definitely get a rear bumper, though.

Have only come close once, of course the moment I take it off...

Was thinking of getting a rear CBI for my truck...since it is feeling fresh again has sparked me to spend a little money on it.

bkg

Explorer
part of the reason the ARB sticks out so far is due to the pedestrian collision design criteria forced upon the manufacturers. That's one of the reasons the new Tacoma's and 4Runners have extended noses. In order for ARB to maintain it's signature design, they were kind of forced to go in front of the grill.

I prefer the CBI design myself, but not because I don't like the ARB; I just don't like it on the new Tacoma.

Clutch

<---Pass
part of the reason the ARB sticks out so far is due to the pedestrian collision design criteria forced upon the manufacturers. That's one of the reasons the new Tacoma's and 4Runners have extended noses. In order for ARB to maintain it's signature design, they were kind of forced to go in front of the grill.

I prefer the CBI design myself, but not because I don't like the ARB; I just don't like it on the new Tacoma.

It does stick out far, but I don't mind it...took a while for the 3rd Gen's styling to grow on me anyway. Not tha it matters...not going to get a new one any time real soon. Have been watching Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee"...shows a bunch of old cars, some of them his, and they aren't in all that good condition either. Something about keeping something old going that I like. Yeah yeah...I say I get tired of working on them, but maybe I like too...one of those love hate relationship things.

Never took him for a car guy either, just listening to him how excited he gets over old POS. I get that same way looking old vehicles. Always look at my neighbor's 1960's (something) FJ and thing how cool it would be have that thing.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I don't consider that as an advantage for my uses. Risk factor/benefit just isn't there.
The only reason I run a bumper is protection. I don't get the point of 'crawler bumpers beyond carrying a winch. Why not just trim a stock bumper down to gain clearance?

DaveInDenver

because the stock bumper can't handle driving by feel...
Guess I still haven't started thinking "modern" plastic junk. I still have in my mind's eye trucks coming with real bumpers to begin with where removing a valance and maybe a little a Sawzall work was enough until you really started wailing on your truck. I was running a trimmed stock bumper even though I had dual lockers and Marlin gears in my 1991. But I wanted a winch and decided an ARB made sense after nose diving into the snow on a soft shoulder.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
How I wish Tacoma bumpers took design cues from the Wrangler. Simple stamped steel bar with removable ends. I'm sure EPA/DOT/ETC had something to do with all the plastic cladding up there.

Clutch

<---Pass
How I wish Tacoma bumpers took design cues from the Wrangler. Simple stamped steel bar with removable ends. I'm sure EPA/DOT/ETC had something to do with all the plastic cladding up there.

Don't think it has to do with EPA/DOT/ETC. One of those, why did Toyota the things that they do??? Because it doesn't have to be plastic. The new Ranger has metal bumper, which it appears Ford knew people were going to remove it and replace with aftermarket.

6a00d83451b3c669e2022ad362a67c200c-800wi

Tundra's bumper is removable...why couldn't they do the Tacoma the same, will remain a mystery...

cdf811e57270da1e4e575f95c5c21709.png

phsycle

Adventurer
Don't think it has to do with EPA/DOT/ETC. One of those, why did Toyota the things that they do??? Because it doesn't have to be plastic. The new Ranger has metal bumper, which it appears Ford knew people were going to remove it and replace with aftermarket.

6a00d83451b3c669e2022ad362a67c200c-800wi

That looks like black unpainted plastic to me!

DaveInDenver

I doubt the front bumper is steel on the Ranger. I can't imagine any modern vehicle passing IIHS and DOT crash tests without a plastic & foam bumper and a crash bar behind it.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Zero interest for me having a midsize with a V8. Drives the payload down even further. No advantage off-road. Sucks fuel efficiency down. That 4.6L is a nice engine, though, I give you that. Super smooth.

I really must not understand anything about payload then... It's not as if they'd just slam the engine into a current model Tacoma and call it a day.

In the real world, the 4.6 V8 is no less fuel efficient than the 4.0 V6. Perhaps marginally worse than the new V6.

- Same economy
- More power
- Potentially higher towing capacity (which would make the truck better imo)

What's not to like? Haha.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
It does, but IIRC Ford said it is metal. Not very thick metal, but, metal none-the-less. The old Toyota bumpers were pretty thin too..

RANGER-1-1024x576.jpeg

In todays day and age, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that "bumper" wasn't plastic covered in chrome...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven