Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

tacollie

Glamper
A loaded V8 Tacoma would get the same mpg as a loaded v6. Unloaded the v6 will do better. My 4.0 averages 16-17 with 235/80r17s on the highway.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That Incross thing was silly. Access Cab + 5' box = useless on all levels.

Configuring a vehicle seems convoluted to me. Seems to me the flow should be to select chassis -> cab -> engine -> transmission -> appearance. And it's not so much they're trying to predict fast movers, you can't even order it like you want.

bkg

Explorer
A loaded V8 Tacoma would get the same mpg as a loaded v6. Unloaded the v6 will do better. My 4.0 averages 16-17 with 235/80r17s on the highway.

That’s an assumption, but not a guarantee. It depends on torque curves, HP curves, gearing, etc. I got as much as 18.5 in my crew max - better than your smaller Tacoma...

bkg

Explorer

Configuring a vehicle seems convoluted to me. Seems to me the flow should be to select chassis -> cab -> engine -> transmission -> appearance. And it's not so much they're trying to predict fast movers, you can't even order it like you want.

Disagree... close to a perfect wheelbase for rock crawling... my xcab is almost 133” wheelbase - would move to get into a 112-118” range.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Hm, that would be surprising to me. But cool, none the less, if that's the case.

Although, those TFL guys....really never came off as motorheads. Just some average joe making videos to make money. Some of the terminology and "off road" tests had me question their credibility.
Their “mr.truck” guy couldn’t figure out how to shift his 90’s dodge into low range.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Disagree... close to a perfect wheelbase for rock crawling... my xcab is almost 133” wheelbase - would move to get into a 112-118” range.
Why is it so long? My '08 is 127 inch wheelbase and my '91 was 122 inches, both long cabs (e.g. Access and XtraCab) with 6' beds. I thought the Double Cab short boxes on Tacomas was the same wheel base as those. The Double Cab long box is a battleship length 140 inches or something, which seems really long to me.

My point is only that as a truck having neither much cab space nor a regular length bed would direct me towards a 4Runner + utility trailer. As it is I have to use trailers periodically even with 6 feet of bed but at least it's long enough for 8' stuff and for me to lay down in.

I know guys like to bob beds on XtraCab length trucks for 'crawlers but that's such a specific user. I'd prefer a regular cab wheelbase (110" for the 2nd gens) off road for sure, I get it. But it loses utility and I already think 6 feet is barely long enough for a truck. I wish we could still get 7 foot beds. Add a few inches to the regular cab so I could put the seat back far enough and it would be perfect. That's mainly why I bought an XtraCab in the first place, comfortable enough to be able to angle the seat and have it back far enough that I could let the clutch pedal up all the way. Actually the 2nd gen mini truck XtraCab cab was pretty much spot on IMO.

I know it'll never happen, mini/midsize trucks aren't about being trucks.

4x4-toyota-hilux-long-bed-pickup-truck-low-miles-excellent-survivor-condition-3.jpg

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
That’s an assumption, but not a guarantee. It depends on torque curves, HP curves, gearing, etc. I got as much as 18.5 in my crew max - better than your smaller Tacoma...
I'm comparing to my brother's 1st Gen Tundra with the 4.7. With similar sized tires and doodads he got the same milage as my Tacoma even though his truck was several years older.

phsycle

Adventurer

You must've gotten a freakazoid build. I don't know anybody getting close to 18. Even 2WD. But how is that better than the Tacoma?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Supercharger in the 4.0 may be a good alternative? Unique configurations and a la carte options definitely aren't Toyota's strong points. We've discussed how we'd like some of those options in a non-package format. SR Double Cab, 3.5 6MT and rear locker would be the combo for me.

It's definitely a thought that's crossed my mind. It eliminates my need for more power. Although, sitting at 220,000km on my 2011, throwing a supercharger on the engine feels somehow wrong. I know long term it's going to need some attention for sure.

Definitely. It would be cool if they'd at least give you the option. I don't think it would really boost or affect sales, but having some unicorns in the mix (6MT, V8, Access Cab, Long Box - Or whatever... You get the picture) would be rad.

The Double Cab long box is a battleship length 140 inches or something, which seems really long to me.

My point is only that as a truck having neither much cab space nor a regular length bed would direct me towards a 4Runner + utility trailer. As it is I have to use trailers periodically even with 6 feet of bed but at least it's long enough for 8' stuff and for me to lay down in.

I've mentioned it many times... But for being so goddamn long, it baffles me why they couldn't add 6" to the double cab to make them usable, considering they're almost as long as a full size pickup... Our long term plans may just be a 5th gen 4runner for those exact reasons.

Dalko43

Explorer
It was on one of those Ranger videos (maybe TFL) where they were talking with the Ford reps. I'll try and find it. Ford guy said the American market wanted a metal detached bumper, where-as the over-seas market Ranger doesn't. Think it was implied that it would pulled for an aftermarket one.

Overseas Ranger is full on plastic cladding.

2017-Ford-Ranger-FX4.jpg

Perhaps...the sport sedan guys who are now buying trucks sure are a fussy bunch when it comes to road noise. Or any noise at all...

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the global Ranger looks a whole lot more BA and offroad-ready compared to the North American version, even without the steel bumper?

I'm glad the Ranger is finally coming back into the North American market, but why the hell didn't Ford just give us a slightly modified version of the tried-and-true global Ranger (similar to how Toyota gives us the 4runner and LC 200)?

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Have one buddy says he gets 18.

A few others say they can't manage any better than 14.

Yup, which is the one major reason why I could never buy one. 14-15MPG.... Just can't stomach that, even with low gas prices. Plus the size thing....great for the handful of trips per year. Not so great for day to day stuff.

And all y'all going off about the bed size. Pffft. 5' is just fine by me. Carries my bikes. Hauls lumber every 8 years when I need it. Bags of fertilizer couple times a year. All of the monster 6" trout I catch. And a few leaves and/or snow on a daily basis. Nope, can't sleep in the back with the tailgate up. Good thing I'm not homeless. Huge load too big for 5' but just enough for 6'? Can't remember last time that's happened. It's usually a payload issue, not length.
I'm probably like 95% of the buyer market. Need 75% daily drive/people hauling capacity and 25% truck.

For me, about perfect.

bkg

Explorer
You must've gotten a freakazoid build. I don't know anybody getting close to 18. Even 2WD. But how is that better than the Tacoma?

he said his Tacoma gets 16-17... I was able to eek out 18 on a Tundra that was ~1k heavier and with 2 more cylinders.

People tend to assume that less cylinders = better mileage... but that's not a rule....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner