Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
But for the actual hauling of ****, use the trailer.

This is quite literally a load of ****...for the garden. :D:p Which is what these little trucks are good for, home owner BS projects, runs to the hardware store, nursery, etc. But not for actual work.
I never thought of owning a trailer until I bought my Tacoma. I would routinely take off the 'Nest and rear bumper on the '91 for a few weeks every spring for yard work. I'd just have them dump a loader bucket full in the back, never thought twice about it being ~1 ton of stuff. I was a **************, grew up in the city and didn't know any different. Yeah, it took 25 years but the sides did eventually splay out on my truck. I just kept adding leaves to make the packs strong enough.

The rear bumper removal was key, you might remember on 79-95 trucks Toyota put two small rubber bumpers on the rear apron so that when you disconnected the tail gate bars (NOT cables!) and let it swing down they would prevent it from hitting metal-on-metal. Then you could push stuff out the bed and it would fall straight down, like a tray with tall sides.

Tacomas are not made to do this, I know that. I also realize I should buy a full size but I don't do yard work 12 months a year to really require it and now I'm smart enough to just pay for the dump truck delivery, too.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
About the same here, however like the previous model year HiLuxes over the Tacoma and current HiLux.

Like more subdued looks I guess.

0016796933001.jpg
That looks good. The new HiLux's along with the newer overseas Mitsubishi and Nissan trucks just look weird in a bad space age sort of way to me.

phsycle

Adventurer
...Tacomas are not made to do this, I know that. I also realize I should buy a full size but I don't do yard work 12 months a year to really require it and now I'm smart enough to just pay for the dump truck delivery, too.

Bingo. Last time I bought lumber and drywall, I just had it delivered. Even less need for a bigger bed with more load capacity. This modern world where you can have everything delivered, including a quarter pounder from McDonalds, and devices that make it so easy and cheap.....for regular Joe's, small work trucks just have no appeal.

Clutch

<---Pass
I never thought of owning a trailer until I bought my Tacoma. I would routinely take off the 'Nest and rear bumper on the '91 for a few weeks every spring for yard work. I'd just have them dump a loader bucket full in the back, never thought twice about it being ~1 ton of stuff. I was a **************, grew up in the city and didn't know any different. Yeah, it took 25 years but the sides did eventually splay out on my truck. I just kept adding leaves to make the packs strong enough.

The rear bumper removal was key, you might remember on 79-95 trucks Toyota put two small rubber bumpers on the rear apron so that when you disconnected the tail gate bars (NOT cables!) and let it swing down they would prevent it from hitting metal-on-metal. Then you could push stuff out the bed and it would fall straight down, like a tray with tall sides.

Tacomas are not made to do this, I know that. I also realize I should buy a full size but I don't do yard work 12 months a year to really require it and now I'm smart enough to just pay for the dump truck delivery, too.

That little 5X8' trailer is great, use the crap out of it. Best $1000 I have ever spent. No wheel wells to deal with, low to the ground...super easy to load and unload. Have been meaning to toss on some 2X12 sides for when I haul dirt, but don't do it often enough (maybe once twice a year) to even justify even that let alone getting a fullsize truck. Me looking at fullsizes is when I start looking at bigger campers...neighbor just traded in his 19' in on a 26 footer. That is just too dang much...think I'll just stay small...so much easier to deal with.

I did not know that of the 79-95 trucks...even though I had one. Not sure if the 4Runners did that too? Guessing not? Did switch from a 4Runner to a Pickup because I was destroying the interior of the 4Runner hauling crap...but that was before I had a trailer.

phsycle

Adventurer
Same here, couldn't live with that mileage either. I am currently ageraging 18-19.5. Don't want to go any lower than that.

I like a 6' bed, but in all reality could live with a 5'...like the 6' bed so I can sleep in it...but can't remember when I actually did that since I have a Wildernest. 6' does make it nice for a little extra room for when the camper is set up though. But for the actual hauling of ****, use the trailer.

This is quite literally a load of ****...for the garden. :D:p Which is what these little trucks are good for, home owner BS projects, runs to the hardware store, nursery, etc. But not for actual work.

17951702_10155297501129630_7935893049670828668_n.jpg

Truth. Hauled some furniture the other day for the wife. Took some stuff to the thrift store. More like a Chore Truck than work truck.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Me looking at fullsizes is when I start looking at bigger campers...neighbor just traded in his 19' in on a 26 footer. That is just too dang much...think I'll just stay small...so much easier to deal with.
19' would likely require a fullsize, correct? I know weight wise you'd be okay. But from what I read here it may be too much for a mid size?

Clutch

<---Pass
Truth. Hauled some furniture the other day for the wife. Took some stuff to the thrift store. More like a Chore Truck than work truck.

Yep...great little run around chore vehicles. A Suby wagon....may work, but do just enough "chores" that I would destroy it.

Took an old couch to the dump the other week...with the trailer it practically loaded itself. Years ago I worked with a landscaper, he taught me the proper way to load yard waste and tree trimmings, so when you're at the dump it literally unloads itself. Basically lay down some long branches on the bottom, with the cut ends towards the front, and tips at the rear. Most the weight is towards the back. Use the end of the trailer as the folcrum point. Yard waste flips right out. Hilarious watching other guys see you do that when they are picking and grabbing stuff out the back of theirs. They are like "how did cha do that!"

bkg

Explorer
Same here, couldn't live with that mileage either. I am currently ageraging 18-19.5. Don't want to go any lower than that.

I like a 6' bed, but in all reality could live with a 5'...like the 6' bed so I can sleep in it...but can't remember when I actually did that since I have a Wildernest. 6' does make it nice for a little extra room for when the camper is set up though. But for the actual hauling of ****, use the trailer.

17951702_10155297501129630_7935893049670828668_n.jpg

You need a Prius...

Clutch

<---Pass
19' would likely require a fullsize, correct? I know weight wise you'd be okay. But from what I read here it may be too much for a mid size?

He started with a DCSB Tacoma, it pulled it... but not well, was scary just see him drive down the street with it. That didn't last long though , a CCSB Tundra showed up one day. Apparently the 19' wasn't enough for them, the 26' showed up last week.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
He started with a DCSB Tacoma, it pulled it... but not well, was scary just see him drive down the street with it. That didn't last long though , a CCSB Tundra showed up one day. Apparently the 19' wasn't enough for them, the 26' showed up last week.
Ah gotcha. We're currently in a tent trailer looking to change to a hardwall. (eventually) Currently debating size etc. The F150 I have now would work but think by the time it's due to be replaced the kids will be grown and maybe downsizing the truck if possible would be nice... Lots of appalling mid-sizers will be hitting the lease return / used market by that time too.....

Clutch

<---Pass
Ah gotcha. We're currently in a tent trailer looking to change to a hardwall. (eventually) Currently debating size etc. The F150 I have now would work but think by the time it's due to be replaced the kids will be grown and maybe downsizing the truck if possible would be nice... Lots of appalling mid-sizers will be hitting the lease return / used market by that time too.....

Would like to get a hardwall one day too. 19' footer is tempting. Not sure I want to get a bigger truck to pull it though. What I have now works great for just me (my wife never goes with me)...but the Wildernest is horrible in the wet and cold. Trying to find a happy medium. Thinking still keeping it as basic as I can. Have a buddy that might sell me his 5X10 enclosed in the spring. My current truck should still pull it. Might have to do a re-gear, but heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new truck. Not so crazy huge either. Have gotten my 5X8' into some rough places, someplaces I probably shouldn't of been...

Have been looking examples of build outs. Something like this and keeping the Wildernest would be a good combo I am thinking. Don't really need anything too-too fancy just something to get out of foul weather.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63209

245fd86d3e08cf868f6c7c09d692a1ed.jpg

Found this too.

https://www.randpcarriages.com/showroom/R&R/Weekender.5-X-10-V‐Nose-Weekender

trailerZ23634f550.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

I did not know that of the 79-95 trucks...even though I had one. Not sure if the 4Runners did that too? Guessing not? Did switch from a 4Runner to a Pickup because I was destroying the interior of the 4Runner hauling crap...but that was before I had a trailer.
Couldn't say about the 4Runner tailgate.

Now that I think about it I'm not 100% sure the rubber snubbers lasted until 1995. They were definitely on early trucks and the tailgates on 1995 and older trucks do rotate 180 degrees to point straight down when you disconnect the support bars, though. That much I can rely on my memory for. The floor of the bed just stops and you can push stuff out and over the apron without getting caught in a gap or seam.

The Tacoma may, I have no idea about that.

Clutch

<---Pass
Couldn't say about the 4Runner tailgate.

Now that I think about it I'm not 100% sure the rubber snubbers lasted until 1995. They were definitely on early trucks and the tailgates on 1995 and older trucks do rotate 180 degrees to point straight down when you disconnect the support bars, though. That much I can rely on my memory for. The floor of the bed just stops and you can push stuff out and over the apron without getting caught in a gap or seam.

The Tacoma may, I have no idea about that.

Never realized that with my '92. But that always had a camper shell on it. Never hauled any dirt with that truck. Ironically I did haul a load of dirt with the 4Runner ONCE...with the top off and lined it with a tarp. That was misearble experience. Thinking I really need a truck...bought a truck and never hauled any dirt in it. Ha!

DaveInDenver

I'm just a glutton I suppose, trying to DIY everything I'll get myself in over my head a lot. But it's just my cheapskate, untrusting nature I suppose. In the last house I ended up converting a 100,000 sq-ft horse rink into a garden, which took about 100 yards of amendments and was an excuse to buy a cute little John Deere SCUT with a 0.2 yard bucket. In that case I was having 15 and 20 yard deliveries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner