Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Not impressed with the Gladiator, either. I do like Wranglers. But I'll take a TJ over any of the current offerings.

But I'll take my Tacoma over any of the above. :D

XJLI

Adventurer
But I'll take my Tacoma over any of the above. :D

Yup, I still wouldn't want anything new. Although my Silverado is growing on me, 05/06 Tundra crew cab would still be my number 1 choice.. if it could be had brand new right now.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Oh yea. Dealer markup and crazy demand for sure.

I'm just thinking MSRP will be about $10,000 higher than a compatibly equipped Ranger / Tacoma / Colorado. I hope I'm wrong. I can justify it being priced a little higher because of solid axles, removable roof and doors, yada, yada, yada.... But if it's 10 grand more.... yeesh. I can think of a lot of better uses for the extra 10 grand.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yup, I still wouldn't want anything new. Although my Silverado is growing on me, 05/06 Tundra crew cab would still be my number 1 choice.. if it could be had brand new right now.

You know, I've actually been impressed some of the trails the current Tundra's have been able to go through. Bunch of skid plates and armor, they've gone through some tough trails. If I had to choose a Tundra, I would get a current gen. That 5.7L is awesome. Has plenty of power and is very reliable. I know some folks who do not treat them very well, but at 170k+ miles, beating on the thing, no issues to date. No oil leaks, no hiccups, nothing. Purrs like day 1. Now if it could get its drinking habit under control....

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You mean, here's your newest American-Soccer-Mom-Mobile?
In reality, that diesel is the same one in the Colorado. Or at least it was born from the same engine. They've had that engine in the overseas JK's for a decade, with very few issues that I've heard or read.

I'd still take a used Landcruiser over this thing, 110%.
I don't think a 4cyl can be derived from a v-6 or vice versa.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I knew I'd catch fire for posting a Jeep in a Toyota thread. Most people buying new LC200s are using them just to drive to their Hamptons house on weekends. Anyway, LC and this are VERY different vehicles. Same steak, different knives.

Oh yea. Dealer markup and crazy demand for sure.

No worries dude, it's actually hard to say this is even a Toyota thread... In all honesty, I was raised on Land Rovers, 60 series LC's and 80's Toyota trucks. But I did buy a two door JK 4 years ago. I liked it overall, but was underwhelmed by the engine and transmission. Aerodynamics of a brick, painful to drive on the highway, which is in part why I sold it and bought a Tacoma.

When I say Landcruiser, I'm definitely not talking about the LC200, haha.

I'm just thinking MSRP will be about $10,000 higher than a compatibly equipped Ranger / Tacoma / Colorado. I hope I'm wrong. I can justify it being priced a little higher because of solid axles, removable roof and doors, yada, yada, yada.... But if it's 10 grand more.... yeesh. I can think of a lot of better uses for the extra 10 grand.

Speculations are mid 30k for a base... If they even offer that. In reality, I think they're only going to offer one model. I could see them charging a premium for some things, but not solid axles. I mean they probably will, because they're dickheads.... But a solid axle is a hell of a lot simpler than IFS

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I don't think a 4cyl can be derived from a v-6 or vice versa.
What??? I think I follow your thought process here, but I don't think you're understanding what I said.

The 2.8L 4cyl Diesel from the Liberty CRD is manufactured by VM Motori. This engine has been available in wranglers overseas for near a decade from what I can tell. This engine is also pretty much the same as the 2.8L "duramax" in the Colorado. Same original design, although I think it's a separate factory in Thailand now.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Speculations are mid 30k for a base... If they even offer that. In reality, I think they're only going to offer one model. I could see them charging a premium for some things, but not solid axles. I mean they probably will, because they're dickheads.... But a solid axle is a hell of a lot simpler than IFS

A Wrangler Unlimited Sport starts at 42K here. (I'm up in the great white north) So I think a base Gladiator will start higher than that.

I meant to say the Jeep will feel they can price the Gladiator higher than other midsizers because it offers a solid axle / removable roof etc.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
A Wrangler Unlimited Sport starts at 42K here. (I'm up in the great white north) So I think a base Gladiator will start higher than that.

I meant to say the Jeep will feel they can price the Gladiator higher than other midsizers because it offers a solid axle / removable roof etc.

Same here... Lethbridge AB, originally Vancouver.

I share your thoughts too. I think they'll just price it higher because they can, and people will pay it. Although... I think they'd push more numbers offering a more bare bones option overall.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
What??? I think I follow your thought process here, but I don't think you're understanding what I said.

The 2.8L 4cyl Diesel from the Liberty CRD is manufactured by VM Motori. This engine has been available in wranglers overseas for near a decade from what I can tell. This engine is also pretty much the same as the 2.8L "duramax" in the Colorado. Same original design, although I think it's a separate factory in Thailand now.
Right, your post seemed to make the connection between the ecodiesel and the 2.8 in the Colorado.(y)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Same here... Lethbridge AB, originally Vancouver.

I share your thoughts too. I think they'll just price it higher because they can, and people will pay it. Although... I think they'd push more numbers offering a more bare bones option overall.
I'm up the QEII from you in Edmonton. Originally from Vernon, lol

Clutch

<---Pass
You mean, here's your newest American-Soccer-Mom-Mobile?

I have very few positive feelings about anything coming from the Dodge/Jeep camp in the last 5 years. But that's just my personal preference, and the fact that everyone out here drives a Ram or a Wrangler.
In reality, that diesel is the same one in the Colorado. Or at least it was born from the same engine. They've had that engine in the overseas JK's for a decade, with very few issues that I've heard or read.

When the Liberty first came out with the 2.8 here, it wasn't ever a matter of the engine, it was the rest of the vehicle. God those things are awful.

I'd still take a used Landcruiser over this thing, 110%.

Before my current Tacoma...I seriously was looking at Wranglers. Test drove maybe 10-12 of them...every single one was a POS. One even broke down on a test drive around the block. Yeah, no thanks..I'll stick with Toyota. Have a couple buddies with late model JKU's...still a pile.

I think the Gladiator is fricken cool as all get out, but most likely never buy one. Believe the Universe would implode if I went from a Toyota to anything made by FCA...

Better off importing an old LC... Mastodon had a couple Bandeirante's roll through. Tempting...

90-Bandeirante1-620x411-1-470x318.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, I dunno about a Bandeirante. Brazilian-made (with an apparently typical indifference to details) 40 series with old tooling and various running gear (like a OM314 Mercedes engine).

XJLI

Adventurer
No worries dude, it's actually hard to say this is even a Toyota thread... In all honesty, I was raised on Land Rovers, 60 series LC's and 80's Toyota trucks. But I did buy a two door JK 4 years ago. I liked it overall, but was underwhelmed by the engine and transmission. Aerodynamics of a brick, painful to drive on the highway, which is in part why I sold it and bought a Tacoma.

When I say Landcruiser, I'm definitely not talking about the LC200, haha.

Sport, Sport S, Overland (aka Sahara), Rubicon. Probably room in there for a $30k one. LC100s are one of my dream trucks too, they're all too old and too high mileage now though.

You know, I've actually been impressed some of the trails the current Tundra's have been able to go through. Bunch of skid plates and armor, they've gone through some tough trails. If I had to choose a Tundra, I would get a current gen. That 5.7L is awesome. Has plenty of power and is very reliable. I know some folks who do not treat them very well, but at 170k+ miles, beating on the thing, no issues to date. No oil leaks, no hiccups, nothing. Purrs like day 1. Now if it could get its drinking habit under control....

If I was to go with a current gen, it would def be an double cab and not the limo crew cab. I do like them too, and the motor is great, but I would never be able to stomach a new truck that gets the same or worse fuel mileage than my 2005.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I'm up the QEII from you in Edmonton. Originally from Vernon, lol

Right on. I try not to do that drive unless it's in the summer.

Sport, Sport S, Overland (aka Sahara), Rubicon. Probably room in there for a $30k one. LC100s are one of my dream trucks too, they're all too old and too high mileage now though.

If I was to go with a current gen, it would def be an double cab and not the limo crew cab. I do like them too, and the motor is great, but I would never be able to stomach a new truck that gets the same or worse fuel mileage than my 2005.

The 100's are hilariously overpriced too from what I've seen up here.
One of the double cabs is the same length as a crew cab short box, or something? That's what we were looking at for a while there. I'm also jaded, work pays for my gas. I fill up the taco once a month maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner