Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
I love the attention to detail, but asking $130k for a rebuilt LC with a 1GR-FE is insane.

Ohhh...totally! As they say, a fool and their money! If you go through their build page, they want $10K for a F/R locker upgrade, who in their right mind pays $10K for lockers?

Most of us, clearly aren't their target market. Sure is nice to drool over though.

Dalko43

Explorer
Ohhh...totally! As they say, a fool and their money! If you go through their build page, they want $10K for a F/R locker upgrade, who in their right mind pays $10K for lockers?

Most of us, clearly aren't their target market. Sure is nice to drool over though.

Similar story with the Legacy Power Wagons: absolutely amazing attention to detail, and they have raw and unfiltered 4bt Cummins engines as options, but you're talking house-mortgage levels of money to buy one.

I understand these builders deserve compensation and I suppose the market demand will dictate what is fair, but i can't help but wonder if these rich buyers are going to get hit with massive depreciation when it comes time to clear out their garage space. No way I'd pay much above $55k-$60k for a moderately used 1GR-FE packing FJ 40 LC.

Clutch

<---Pass
Similar story with the Legacy Power Wagons: absolutely amazing attention to detail, and they have raw and unfiltered 4bt Cummins engines as options, but you're talking house-mortgage levels of money to buy one.

I understand these builders deserve compensation and I suppose the market demand will dictate what is fair, but i can't help but wonder if these rich buyers are going to get hit with massive depreciation when it comes time to clear out their garage space. No way I'd pay much above $55k-$60k for a moderately used 1GR-FE packing FJ 40 LC.

Don't quite get the enormous prices either. Yeah there is overhead to pay, and want to make a profit. Just seems crazy to pay $150-200K for a restoration. Believe they are selling an image more than anything. Most of these will be garage queens and hardly be used. Have seen several Icons come up for sale over the years. Hardly any miles on them. Basically bought by rich guys to have a tough manly looking vehicle kept at the summer mountain home to run into town with.

Have heard mixed reviews about Vintage Offroad, but their prices are much more reasonable. Maybe not to the detail of FJ Co...but something you wouldn't be afraid to use.

http://www.vintageoffroad.com/collection.cfm?category=1

Leno had couple of the Legacy builds on his show, they had it up on the rack...saw a lot of cut corners. Should be absolutely perfect for the prices they are asking.

You can judge for yourself.

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
The 100's are hilariously overpriced too from what I've seen up here.
One of the double cabs is the same length as a crew cab short box, or something? That's what we were looking at for a while there. I'm also jaded, work pays for my gas. I fill up the taco once a month maybe.

Yea, the double cab is bigger than the domestic double cabs, but not as big as the giant ones with limo-rated legroom. And you get the 6.5' bed, same length frame IIRC as the crewmax small box.

While the 2.8l inline 4 and 3.0l v6 are different engines, they are both designed by VM Motori, are they not?

Rumor is that the Jeep will get the 3.0l v6, but has that been confirmed?

All the JLs will get the 3.0 ecodiesel they're using in the Rams in Grand Cherokees (Though the first diesel WKs around 10 years ago used a Mercedes bluetec 3.0 V6 diesel, so if you are looking around at reliability keep that in mind). Both the 2.8 and 3.0 are VM Motori motors, but they are different. The duramax 2.8 4 cylinder is an evolution of the OLD Jeep 2.8 CRD used here and overseas. The 3.0 V6 is named the A 630 and the current 2.8 4 cyl is the A 428. Really high tech naming scheme. The 2.8 has been around since the early 2000s (starting as a 2.5), and is used in the last gen (until 2017, non hybrid) London taxis. If you do some searching around on it on the Aussie forums, people really like the 2.8, but the main complaints are the short (for a diesel) service intervals and the fact that it really is a "Car" diesel and not a truck diesel. So it doesn't take long term abuse like an older, more mechanical motor can.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Holy crap. I love that truck. Why did they go 5-Sp instead of 6? And I’m afraid to ask: what’s it cost?
If it's a 5 speed on a 1GR it's probably a H150F and that's so it can mate to the Land Cruiser transfer case I think. There's nothing wrong with the RA60F in terms of ability to handle the power. The throw out bearing rides on an aluminum snout, which is cheapskate of Aisin. The main problem is the wonky ratios and tall reverse IMO. But it's an OK transmission. The RC62 in the 3rd gen improved some of the deficiencies. Toyota is using variants of these same 6 speeds on the Prado and Hilux, so it's only Cruisers that get 5 speed sticks AFAIK.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

The target for these high end factory trucks are people who don't have the money and need to finance everything. Regardless of how you buy your SR5 if you have to outlay a chunk of cash to fit FOX suspension and Air Lockers. To a person who doesn't have it rolling $10,000 into their 80 month car loan is out of sight, out of mind. It ends up being $50/month more to get a Pro and they keep their precious resale value what do they care? You're absolutely right, we are not their intended market.

Clutch

<---Pass
The target for these high end factory trucks are people who don't have the money and need to finance everything. Regardless of how you buy your SR5 if you have to outlay a chunk of cash to fit FOX suspension and Air Lockers. To a person who doesn't have it rolling $10,000 into their 80 month car loan is out of sight, out of mind. It ends up being $50/month more to get a Pro and they keep their precious resale value what do they care? You're absolutely right, we are not their intended market.

I have a few "rich" clients...what I have noticed from them is that they tend to lease everything. One has had a Sportsmobile, Earthroamer, etc....they aren't paying cash for them. Keep it for a year or so then sells it to the next guy.

Where I may be a cheap SOB, but I like paying cash for everything. And keep it going as long as possible. Why when Iook at these new trucks and see all the do-dads...what is that thing going to cost me to fix down the road? Ya know?

I follow used FWC on FB... see an awful lot of nearly near campers come up for sale. They must buy them with a loan, use for a couple months or a year and turn around and sell them.

tacollie

Glamper
You can't get a 1gr/5 speed combo in a 79 series. That's probably why they used it. Plus the 5 speed is probably easier to fit. I actually like the idea of the 1gr/5 speed in a lot of lighter vehicle but for a vehicle that cost more than my mortgage they would need to up the game. 5.7l V8 or V8 Toyota diesel would be the acceptable options. Maybe a 4.6l V8.

Clutch

<---Pass
You can't get a 1gr/5 speed combo in a 79 series. That's probably why they used it. Plus the 5 speed is probably easier to fit. I actually like the idea of the 1gr/5 speed in a lot of lighter vehicle but for a vehicle that cost more than my mortgage they would need to up the game. 5.7l V8 or V8 Toyota diesel would be the acceptable options. Maybe a 4.6l V8.

They were saying it was a brand new engine, didn't think Toyota did crate engines. Which is why Icon starting using LS's.

Think they are BSing and just using salvage engines?

phsycle

Adventurer
I love those LC's. But I have to say, if I were spending $200k+ on something vintage, the PW would get my vote:

F146073314.jpg

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Yea, the double cab is bigger than the domestic double cabs, but not as big as the giant ones with limo-rated legroom. And you get the 6.5' bed, same length frame IIRC as the crewmax small box.

All the JLs will get the 3.0 ecodiesel they're using in the Rams in Grand Cherokees (Though the first diesel WKs around 10 years ago used a Mercedes bluetec 3.0 V6 diesel, so if you are looking around at reliability keep that in mind). Both the 2.8 and 3.0 are VM Motori motors, but they are different. The duramax 2.8 4 cylinder is an evolution of the OLD Jeep 2.8 CRD used here and overseas. The 3.0 V6 is named the A 630 and the current 2.8 4 cyl is the A 428. Really high tech naming scheme. The 2.8 has been around since the early 2000s (starting as a 2.5), and is used in the last gen (until 2017, non hybrid) London taxis. If you do some searching around on it on the Aussie forums, people really like the 2.8, but the main complaints are the short (for a diesel) service intervals and the fact that it really is a "Car" diesel and not a truck diesel. So it doesn't take long term abuse like an older, more mechanical motor can.

Yeah that's where most of the reviews I saw came from. I think the biggest issues I read were clutch related and service intervals like you said. I'm surprised the Aussies like them, considering the offerings they have from Nissan and Toyota already. I can't imagine the Italians building a million mile anything...

Dalko43

Explorer
Don't quite get the enormous prices either. Yeah there is overhead to pay, and want to make a profit. Just seems crazy to pay $150-200K for a restoration. Believe they are selling an image more than anything. Most of these will be garage queens and hardly be used. Have seen several Icons come up for sale over the years. Hardly any miles on them. Basically bought by rich guys to have a tough manly looking vehicle kept at the summer mountain home to run into town with.

Have heard mixed reviews about Vintage Offroad, but their prices are much more reasonable. Maybe not to the detail of FJ Co...but something you wouldn't be afraid to use.

http://www.vintageoffroad.com/collection.cfm?category=1

Leno had couple of the Legacy builds on his show, they had it up on the rack...saw a lot of cut corners. Should be absolutely perfect for the prices they are asking.

You can judge for yourself.

What corners do you think were cut? I haven't seen one in person, but it seems like they went overkill with the restoration: boxed the frame; axles from a newer 3/4 ton; front and rear locker options. I don't know that a Legacy PW is worth the current asking price, but it seems to be a quality build from the outside perspective.

I'm somewhat familiar with the 2.8l's and 3.0l's origins.

Despite its lengthy service history, the 3.0l v6 ecodiesel is still a big unknown in my book: that engine has a decent trend of failures in the Ram 1500 (not just emissions, but actual engine failures too). Maybe FCA has really gone to town and addressed the known issues for this next iteration that will go into the Jeep Wrangler and new 1500....we'll have to wait and see.

I have not heard about the Aussie complaints regarding the 2.8l. That engine has also seen use in the overseas Jeep (including the J8), and I hadn't heard of any major issues in those platforms, but I haven't spent much time reading about the Aussie perspective. It seems decent enough in the Colorado platform, and honestly I think that engine (or at least that type of engine) is a much better fit for the Jeep, both in terms of size and torque delivery. We'll find out over the next 10 years how its longterm durability fares.

The real shame is that Cummins produces their own 2.8l diesel and could probably have developed a v6 or inline 5 for the midsized market, had FCA asked them to do so. I really do think FCA's growing reliance on VM Motori diesel engines is a big mistake in the long run. Cummins practically saved the Dodge truck brand back in the day, and its arguably a major reason for why their 3/4 ton's continue to sell well. I'm willing to give the 3.0l ecodiesel another chance, but so far it hasn't developed the best of reputations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner