Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, I dunno about a Bandeirante. Brazilian-made (with an apparently typical indifference to details) 40 series with old tooling and various running gear (like a OM314 Mercedes engine).

You would just buy it for the body...would have to do a complete restoration, modern drive train, etc. But at that point...probably better off putting an Aqualu body on a stretched 80 chassis. One of those "some day" vehicles that will never happen unless I win the lotto....

____3203568_orig.jpg

Reactions: bkg

phsycle

Adventurer
Hope you really like wrenching. Even if you build from ground up, I'm already getting a headache thinking of all the issues popping up.

Clutch

<---Pass
Hope you really like wrenching. Even if you build from ground up, I'm already getting a headache thinking of all the issues popping up.

"Some Day" vehicle... ;)

...it will never happen, even if I won the lotto. And if that happened...would gladly have either FJ Company or Proffitt's build me one.

FJ Company is almost too clean. Sure do like that beat-up looking 40 Proffitt's built ( I was going to say "patina" but hate that word. :D )

My neighbor a couple houses down has a blue version of this...faded paint and all. After they are done with the FJ45 Ute, make a me a FJ43 too!

DSC_9628-min-.jpg

Do like the Bandeirante. Like how the axle is pushed back, unlike the FJ43s the FJ Company uses.

toyota-bandeirante-brazilian-fj40-landcruiser-1.jpg

image_58dd7aea0e740_The-FJ-Company-1984-FJ43-Land-Cruiser---Venetian-Blue-113295---Studio_002.jpg

Aqualu does have the pushed back axle version, what ICON4X4 uses.

maxresdefault.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
Right, your post seemed to make the connection between the ecodiesel and the 2.8 in the Colorado.(y)

While the 2.8l inline 4 and 3.0l v6 are different engines, they are both designed by VM Motori, are they not?

Rumor is that the Jeep will get the 3.0l v6, but has that been confirmed?

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
While the 2.8l inline 4 and 3.0l v6 are different engines, they are both designed by VM Motori, are they not?

From what I read, they're near identical.

I can neither confirm or deny... Everything I've seen is speculation at this point.

Clutch

<---Pass
This popped up on my FB feed from Land Cruiser World.

Ohhhh....baby.

Gimme that green one with a hard top.

46891392_992630730925121_7545416889418121216_n.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Sure made by same company. Chevrolet also made a corvette and a chevette, but they had nothing in common.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Do like the Bandeirante. Like how the axle is pushed back, unlike the FJ43s the FJ Company uses.
Aqualu does have the pushed back axle version, what ICON4X4 uses.
Once you decide to chuck the fundamental FJ40 thing - leaf springs - you're no longer constrained to axle locations. The FJ43 rear axle is almost as far back on the frame as it can be and still have a rear shackle but the Icon FJ uses Dana axles and coil spring. Centered pumpkins no less. Yuck.

Clutch

<---Pass
Once you decide to chuck the fundamental FJ40 thing - leaf springs - you're no longer constrained to axle locations. The FJ43 rear axle is almost as far back on the frame as it can be and still have a rear shackle but the Icon FJ uses Dana axles and coil spring. Centered pumpkins no less. Yuck.

(not that I'll ever to be afford one) Kinda diggin' what the FJ Company is doing with their G40. Looks like an 80? Or perhaps a 70 series(?) coil sprung front end.

https://www.fj.co/detail/1984-Land-Cruiser-G43-S_397

Did you see that they mated a 5 Speed to the 1GR-FE?

image_5bd79d23ec35a_The-FJ-Company-1984-FJ43-113295-Cement-Restoration_014.jpg

image_5bd79d74b2fcb_The-FJ-Company-1984-FJ43-113295-Cement-Restoration_016.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Holy crap. I love that truck. Why did they go 5-Sp instead of 6? And I’m afraid to ask: what’s it cost?

Because 5 speed rocks and 6 speed sucks! ;) :D Ohhh...guessing probably the 6 speed offers very little advantages over the 5 speed, if any. With the 6, there is no granny low, and final drive is darn near identical. Right @DaveInDenver?

Well if you have to ask about price @phsycle... ;)

Here is a builder to play around with. https://www.fj.co/build/g40-heritage

I like their stuff better than Icon...seem to stay truer to the brand, rather than tossing in GM engines and such. Something always seems just a bit off with Icon builds...like they are too tall, or something just smidge out of proportion.

dman93

Adventurer
I actually prefer the North American Ranger front end. But then I also prefer the Tacoma's looks to the HiLux's and the North American Colorado's front end to the Aussie one. So I guess I'm weird.
Me too. I rode in a Hilux in South America this year; it seemed like a basic, stick shift diesel Tacoma would be like if sold here. Not hugely different or “cool”. And, in Latin America (and many other parts of the world now) the double cab 5’ bed has become the de facto pickup. Used for all kinds of work and personal transport. No 6’ beds there

phsycle

Adventurer
Because 5 speed rocks and 6 speed sucks! ;):D Ohhh...guessing probably the 6 speed offers very little advantages over the 5 speed, if any. With the 6, there is no granny low, and final drive is darn near identical. Right @DaveInDenver?

Well if you have to ask about price @phsycle... ;)

Here is a builder to play around with. https://www.fj.co/build/g40-heritage

I like their stuff better than Icon...seem to stay truer to the brand, rather than tossing in GM engines and such. Something always seems just a bit off with Icon builds...like they are too tall, or something just smidge out of proportion.

I actually would like a 5-sp. Thats what I’m used to driving. This Tacoma is my 1st 6-Sp truck. Still not used to shifting to that 6th gear. Feels almost unnatural. Give me 5-sp and a 4:1 low range while you’re at it. :D

dman93

Adventurer
I always assumed the Colorado’s diesel was a pure Japanese Isuzu design. But hey, you guys are right, it was indeed based on the same VM four-banger as used in overseas Wranglers and the Liberty CRD here. The new Wrangler will use the VM 3.0 V6 however. Live and learn here on Taco World EDIT ExPo.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Sure made by same company. Chevrolet also made a corvette and a chevette, but they had nothing in common.

I'm not saying the engines have much of anything in common other than the fact that VM Motori designed both of them. I'm sure there are some common design themes to be found in both engines, but that's pretty standard for any engine company.

(not that I'll ever to be afford one) Kinda diggin' what the FJ Company is doing with their G40. Looks like an 80? Or perhaps a 70 series(?) coil sprung front end.

https://www.fj.co/detail/1984-Land-Cruiser-G43-S_397

Did you see that they mated a 5 Speed to the 1GR-FE?

image_5bd79d23ec35a_The-FJ-Company-1984-FJ43-113295-Cement-Restoration_014.jpg

image_5bd79d74b2fcb_The-FJ-Company-1984-FJ43-113295-Cement-Restoration_016.jpg

I love the attention to detail, but asking $130k for a rebuilt LC with a 1GR-FE is insane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg

Members online