Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm just a glutton I suppose, trying to DIY everything I'll get myself in over my head a lot. But it's just my cheapskate, untrusting nature I suppose. In the last house I ended up converting a 100,000 sq-ft horse rink into a garden, which took about 100 yards of amendments and was an excuse to buy a cute little John Deere SCUT with a 0.2 yard bucket. In that case I was having 15 and 20 yard deliveries.

Ha ha...same here.

When I was expanding the garden...stupid me thought it would be a great idea to totally annilate the grass and rent a sod cutter. Made a more work than it had to be. Looking back...I should of cut the grass as low as possible then tossed on some landscape cloth, and lay some straw down. And only tilled the sections for the vertical trellises.

12931135_10154145453784630_20888942313820816_n.jpg

12143254_10154145619119630_1094212810387188578_n.jpg

12936676_10154153301224630_5141597798433988393_n.jpg

13407062_10154335197859630_2215367234556367479_n.jpg

Neighbor's garden behind us makes ours look puny.

12963480_10154143551004630_7802140346868017504_n.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Ha ha...same here.

When I was expanding the garden...stupid me thought it would be a great idea to totally annilate the grass and rent a sod cutter. Made a more work than it had to be. Looking back...I should of cut the grass as low as possible then tossed on some landscape cloth, and lay some straw down. And only tilled the sections for the vertical trellises.

12931135_10154145453784630_20888942313820816_n.jpg

12143254_10154145619119630_1094212810387188578_n.jpg

12936676_10154153301224630_5141597798433988393_n.jpg

Neighbor's garden behind us makes ours look puny.

12963480_10154143551004630_7802140346868017504_n.jpg

Lesson I've learned many times over. Keep it simple. Now it's getting to the point, where if I'm looking to install a water softener, instead of reading instructions, watching 50 youtube vids, multiple runs to Lowe's, 3 weekends later, a leaky pipe, shouting match with the wife......ok, Mr. plumber. Take my money. Have him do it in 3 hours. Go play those 3 weekends.

Dalko43

Explorer
Doesn't that go back to why the Tacoma was created. Toyota had the Hilux in the States. But created the Tacoma to meet demand.

I believe that a US-spec'd Hilux (with the appropriate suspension) would meet the demand in North America just fine. I have less of a concern about Toyota cutting corners and softening up their Tacoma's and Tundra's for us dumb Americans....after all, despite the differences with the global pickups Toyota's North American pickups have more than proven themselves over the long term. I do not have the same confidence when GM or Ford introduces an 'Americanized' version of the Ranger or Colorado...phrases like "weight-savings" seem like euphemisms for cut corners.

That's true. As much as I would like more payload at times, I don't think it would outweigh the want of a better ride 98% of the time. Apparently rings true for most of the buyer base. Smooth-riding vehicles that can go "anywhere." Which is why these are marketed as pretty much recreational vehicles than work trucks. I don't know anyone with a Tacoma that actually uses it like a work truck. Those that do, drive 3/4 tons.

Ride comfort is easily adjusted by tuning the suspension. There is absolutely no reason that Hilux couldn't be given a smoother, more American-focused, ride with better shocks and springs. Toyota has proven that to be the case with the 4runner/GX and LC 200.

I actually prefer the North American Ranger front end. But then I also prefer the Tacoma's looks to the HiLux's and the North American Colorado's front end to the Aussie one. So I guess I'm weird.

Yeah, I wasn't referring so much to the looks as much as I was focusing on the perceived ground clearance, tire setup, approach/departure angles....if Ford just gave me the global Ranger with an emissions compliant engine, I'd take that in a heartbeat....I'm hoping the new Ranger will be good, but I'm also hoping that they don't soften it up for the North American market.

Clutch

<---Pass
Lesson I've learned many times over. Keep it simple. Now it's getting to the point, where if I'm looking to install a water softener, instead of reading instructions, watching 50 youtube vids, multiple runs to Lowe's, 3 weekends later, a leaky pipe, shouting match with the wife......ok, Mr. plumber. Take my money. Have him do it in 3 hours. Go play those 3 weekends.

The whole garden thing is my wife's thing...but for some reason I do most of the work. hmmm...:unsure:

Yeah there are some things I rather pay someone do to. Years ago I put in a steering rack, what a pain in the ass that was... this last time I paid someone else to do it.

phsycle

Adventurer
I believe that a US-spec'd Hilux (with the appropriate suspension) would meet the demand in North America just fine. I have less of a concern about Toyota cutting corners and softening up their Tacoma's and Tundra's for us dumb Americans....after all, despite the differences with the global pickups Toyota's North American pickups have more than proven themselves over the long term. I do not have the same confidence when GM or Ford introduces an 'Americanized' version of the Ranger or Colorado...phrases like "weight-savings" seem like euphemisms for cut corners...

It is pretty well-known the Tacoma was created for N.A. There must have been more challenges than just swapping suspension, since they revamped the whole truck. Agreed on longevity. At least for the (intended) light-duty usage. Time will tell on the Rangers. The older ones did fair pretty well, though. The turbo engine, I'm not so sure about. Hope they expand the option with the 3.3 V6.

Clutch

<---Pass
Ride comfort is easily adjusted by tuning the suspension. There is absolutely no reason that Hilux couldn't be given a smoother, more American-focused, ride with better shocks and springs. Toyota has proven that to be the case with the 4runner/GX and LC 200.

Supposedly the HiLux rides better,...and has a better payload. Makes you wonder if the whole Tacoma payload thing is dumbed down on paper.

Share the same front suspension, same rear diff.

http://www.exploringoverland.com/ov...2/11/16/forbidden-fruit-the-toyota-hilux.html

phsycle

Adventurer
The whole garden thing is my wife's thing...but for some reason I do most of the work. hmmm...:unsure:

Yeah there are some things I rather pay someone do to. Years ago I put in a steering rack, what a pain in the ass that was... this last time I paid someone else to do it.

Oh, yeah, that's 99% of the projects. Wife orders, I do. Which is why, to keep my sanity, peace in the home, I hire out for most of it. Actually ends up being cheaper, accounting for time spent.

Clutch

<---Pass
Oh, yeah, that's 99% of the projects. Wife orders, I do. Which is why, to keep my sanity, peace in the home, I hire out for most of it. Actually ends up being cheaper, accounting for time spent.

Just smile and nod...smile and nod....throw a couple "yes dears" here and there, and you're good. :D

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
qlsf2r8z0ykqmljjstwy.png

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-jeep-gladiator-is-the-glorious-jeep-pickup-you-1830696134

Here's your NA-Spec 76 series. Solid axles, 7600lb towing, 1650 payload, manual, diesel on it's way.
You mean, here's your newest American-Soccer-Mom-Mobile?

I have very few positive feelings about anything coming from the Dodge/Jeep camp in the last 5 years. But that's just my personal preference, and the fact that everyone out here drives a Ram or a Wrangler.
In reality, that diesel is the same one in the Colorado. Or at least it was born from the same engine. They've had that engine in the overseas JK's for a decade, with very few issues that I've heard or read.

When the Liberty first came out with the 2.8 here, it wasn't ever a matter of the engine, it was the rest of the vehicle. God those things are awful.

I'd still take a used Landcruiser over this thing, 110%.

Dalko43

Explorer

I have very few positive feelings about anything coming from the Dodge/Jeep camp in the last 5 years. But that's just my personal preference, and the fact that everyone out here drives a Ram or a Wrangler.
In reality, that diesel is the same one in the Colorado. Or at least it was born from the same engine. They've had that engine in the overseas JK's for a decade, with very few issues that I've heard or read.

When the Liberty first came out with the 2.8 here, it wasn't ever a matter of the engine, it was the rest of the vehicle. God those things are awful.

Unfortunately, I share those exact sentiments: certain FCA vehicles seem to do alright in terms of reliability (Jeep Wrangler being one of them), but the brand overall has been consistently ranked low in reliability rankings and the company has been slow to address major problems (ecodiesel being a prime example). I love the fact that Jeep is finally bringing in a diesel option, I hate the fact that they're outsourcing to an Italian company (VM Motori), when Cummins is perfectly willing and able to provide a homegrown solution.

I'll wait and see how the new Gladiator and Ranger do. Who knows, I may end up with one in a few years....but I'm certainly not going to hand my money over to buy one before I see some real-world owner reviews.

XJLI

Adventurer

I knew I'd catch fire for posting a Jeep in a Toyota thread. Most people buying new LC200s are using them just to drive to their Hamptons house on weekends. Anyway, LC and this are VERY different vehicles. Same steak, different knives.

I'm very interested in those. My fear is that in my market, they will be approx $10,000 more than a comparably equipped Tacoma / Ranger / Colorado. I guess we'll see.....

Oh yea. Dealer markup and crazy demand for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner