Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
It does, but IIRC Ford said it is metal. Not very thick metal, but, metal none-the-less. The old Toyota bumpers were pretty thin too..

RANGER-1-1024x576.jpeg

I'm telling you, that's not metal. Tacoma rear bumpers with the "chrome" caps? All plastic. Yeah, I found that out dragging the rear a bit.

pb270622-203_zpsoicodnaa_d7d605b27326985f641f5eb659bd13b83038e945-jpg.1633957

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Don't think it has to do with EPA/DOT/ETC ...Because it doesn't have to be plastic. The new Ranger has metal bumper, which it appears Ford knew people were going to remove it and replace with aftermarket ... Tundra's bumper is removable...why couldn't they do the Tacoma the same, will remain a mystery...
It's 'cause Seatbelt Mike!

I kind of doubt any manufacturer is going to do something with the expectation of the aftermarket. If anything using a plastic bumper would mean they expect it to be replaced since a metal one will take mild bumps better as might be the case off highway or on work sites. They have to pass safety and fuel economy numbers so the bodies are designed for that. That's why they get chin spoilers and all of it.

Or perhaps the shape and size of the Tacoma needs to be that way so it's quieter or the designers just think it looks more appealing to the demographic.

phsycle

Adventurer
I really must not understand anything about payload then... It's not as if they'd just slam the engine into a current model Tacoma and call it a day.

In the real world, the 4.6 V8 is no less fuel efficient than the 4.0 V6. Perhaps marginally worse than the new V6.

- Same economy
- More power
- Potentially higher towing capacity (which would make the truck better imo)

What's not to like? Haha.

Is the 4.6 more efficient than the 4.7? A friend of mine with a Tundra, 4.7L, cannot get better than 16-17MPG on the freeway. 4.0's get at least 20-21mpg stock. That's a decent gap to me.

Towing capacity in these midsize trucks isn't determined by engine size. Pulling power isn't the problem. It's ability to handle the weight back there is the issue. They just don't have the chassis to pull more than the current max spec. Just look at old 1 ton trucks and how much power they had compared to the V6's of today.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Is the 4.6 more efficient than the 4.7? A friend of mine with a Tundra, 4.7L, cannot get better than 16-17MPG on the freeway. 4.0's get at least 20-21mpg stock. That's a decent gap to me.

Towing capacity in these midsize trucks isn't determined by engine size. Pulling power isn't the problem. It's ability to handle the weight back there is the issue. They just don't have the chassis to pull more than the current max spec. Just look at old 1 ton trucks and how much power they had compared to the V6's of today.

Early morning brain fart...

Honestly, I can't speak to the 4.6 vs. 4.7, I was mistakenly speaking about the 4.7.

Brother has one in his 4runner, and gets pretty close to the same numbers as my Taco with a 4.0.

I guess for towing, I'm more talking about the pulling power. I'd rather not have to wring my trucks neck on the highway, while towing a 2-3,000lb trailer.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Brother has one in his 4runner, and gets pretty close to the same numbers as my Taco with a 4.0.
Too many variables to say anything. We had a 2005 4Runner V6 SR5, had the same VVTi engine as my Tacoma does now. Of course auto vs. stick will change things but our 4Runner got decent mileage but not exceptional. Maybe 2 MPG better when all things are equal, so the weight and shape of the vehicle makes a difference here.
I guess for towing, I'm more talking about the pulling power. I'd rather not have to wring my trucks neck on the highway, while towing a 2-3,000lb trailer.
Perception by a customer is different than safety ratings. I don't have much complaint with my truck when I occasionally pull a trailer of that size, even in the mountains. I suspect most people hold full sizes as the yard stick so of course a mid sized truck won't do as well. If you tow often and have a sizable trailer you should be using a Tundra. That's why it exists. Why make a Tacoma into a Tundra? It's a fat guy in a little coat.

giphy.gif

Clutch

<---Pass
It's 'cause Seatbelt Mike!

I kind of doubt any manufacturer is going to do something with the expectation of the aftermarket. If anything using a plastic bumper would mean they expect it to be replaced since a metal one will take mild bumps better as might be the case off highway or on work sites. They have to pass safety and fuel economy numbers so the bodies are designed for that. That's why they get chin spoilers and all of it.

It was on one of those Ranger videos (maybe TFL) where they were talking with the Ford reps. I'll try and find it. Ford guy said the American market wanted a metal detached bumper, where-as the over-seas market Ranger doesn't. Think it was implied that it would pulled for an aftermarket one.

Overseas Ranger is full on plastic cladding.

2017-Ford-Ranger-FX4.jpg

Or perhaps the shape and size of the Tacoma needs to be that way so it's quieter or the designers just think it looks more appealing to the demographic.

Perhaps...the sport sedan guys who are now buying trucks sure are a fussy bunch when it comes to road noise. Or any noise at all...

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm telling you, that's not metal. Tacoma rear bumpers with the "chrome" caps? All plastic. Yeah, I found that out dragging the rear a bit.

pb270622-203_zpsoicodnaa_d7d605b27326985f641f5eb659bd13b83038e945-jpg.1633957

Yeah, they chrome plastic.

Read it or saw a video stating it was metal though. (trying to find where I saw that)

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, they chrome plastic.

Read it or saw a video stating it was metal though. (trying to find where I saw that)

Hm, that would be surprising to me. But cool, none the less, if that's the case.

Although, those TFL guys....really never came off as motorheads. Just some average joe making videos to make money. Some of the terminology and "off road" tests had me question their credibility.

Clutch

<---Pass
Hm, that would be surprising to me. But cool, none the less, if that's the case.

Although, those TFL guys....really never came off as motorheads. Just some average joe making videos to make money. Some of the terminology and "off road" tests had me question their credibility.

Those guys are definitely not motorheads. But seem to have a lot of information though. Where us true motorheads can read, digest and argue over it. :)

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
here you go @phsycle minute 2:16-17 "steel bumper...because that is what tough truck means in North America"

Probably super thin steel...but none-the-less! LOL!

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Early morning brain fart...

Honestly, I can't speak to the 4.6 vs. 4.7, I was mistakenly speaking about the 4.7.

My buddy went to a V8 4Runner, loves it over the Tacoma he had. Granted it was the 3.4...so kinda comparing apples to smaller apples...

phsycle

Adventurer
here you go @phsycle minute 2:16-17 "steel bumper...because that is what tough truck means in North America"

Probably super thin steel...but none-the-less! LOL!

Interesting. Good to know. Surprising they went steel. Especially with Ford touting aluminum superiority in the F150's. And really, the cost involved as well.

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, fair enough guys. I know in reality I'm wrong. I just want a v8 in a Taco.

I think they've buggered it up so badly overall, especially in this day and age.

Supercharger in the 4.0 may be a good alternative? Unique configurations and a la carte options definitely aren't Toyota's strong points. We've discussed how we'd like some of those options in a non-package format. SR Double Cab, 3.5 6MT and rear locker would be the combo for me.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, fair enough guys. I know in reality I'm wrong. I just want a v8 in a Taco.

I think they've buggered it up so badly overall, especially in this day and age.
I am with you and @bkg, a V8 in a Taco would be cool.

Toyota has played with the idea with their concept trucks. Had a 4.7 in an Access Cab with a 5’ bed. And tossed in the 5.7 in a 2WD drag truck.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tacomas-to-the-max-toyota-does-the-truck-thing-at-sema-2769/

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...-of-sema-debut-with-supercharged-5-7l-v8.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven