Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
Speaking of floor jacks, those of you in this thread may remember I posted a mangled floor jack that the father in law's Cummins Dodge crushed. When the jack was spat out the handle went awol. Well anyway I found the handle yesterday about thirty feet away in the shop. Good thing no one was under the Dodge.

Those type of pictures scare the crap out of me. Have had a couple close calls over the years...always when you're in a hurry or getting too comfortable.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
2016-08-26_17-39-57-640x427.jpg
I want one of those toppers for my Chevy but the truck barely clears my 7' door opening now. I've got a vinyl snap down cover and it's a pita. I hate having to pull everything out and then sliding in there to reach stuff. Undoing the cover is even more of a pain and once you've got the cover off scaling the box side to reach stuff inside isn't easy either. And if you try to stretch the cover back and snap it into place at temps blow 50f it just won't go. You have to find a way to warm the vinyl up first.

Clutch

<---Pass
I want one of those toppers for my Chevy but the truck barely clears my 7' door opening now. I've got a vinyl snap down cover and it's a pita. I hate having to pull everything out and then sliding in there to reach stuff. Undoing the cover is even more of a pain and once you've got the cover off scaling the box side to reach stuff inside isn't easy either. And if you try to stretch the cover back and snap it into place at temps blow 50f it just won't go. You have to find a way to warm the vinyl up first.

No problem here! I can't fit my truck in the garage anyways, it is filled with her antique printing equipment. She has more tools than I do. And it is all fricken heavy...had to rent for lifts for our move.

Thought one of those caps and a bed slide would be pretty slick...there are times I miss having an 8' bed.

But I have that 5X8' utility trailer...it is like having a fullsize truck bed without the need of a fullsize truck. So much easier to load too. Was looking at a fullsize CCLB at the trail head the other week. And you know, my setup isn't all that much longer tip to tip than that truck itself. Major advantage I have over that is, mine articulates in the middle or there abouts.

One thing I do hate is having to crawl into the bed to grab stuff...bedslide would be awfully sweet.

BEDSLIDE_OUTDOORS_1080x_70674f2d-1752-4957-897b-ca62c2691c9f_1024x1024.jpeg

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Don't take the availability of decent aftermarket parts for our Toys for granted. I've been searching for some kind of useful sliders for my Colorado, and there is absolutely nothing frame mounted that isn't weld-on. I'm really paranoid about the idea of welding to this frame, given how thin it is compared to every Toy I've owned. I like the looks of the ZR-2 / Bison sliders from GM, but they don't function well as any kind of step and they are factory Generous Motors, so $$$ from most outlets. I'm hoping the aftermarket love grows...
A buddy with a Colorado was having the same issue. He ended up going full custom. $$$$$$$. He's taking it to Armorology so it should be pretty sweet.

Hi-Lift jacks scare the $#%@ out of me, reminding me of the lethal car bumper jacks of the '60s and '70s. As a boy, I'd just cringe if/when we had a flat in my folks car. My Dad would leave us in the car while changing the tire, and we swayed like we were surfing!

I became a believer in using a Hi-Lift though, on two separate occasions when friends got their Tacos badly high-centered on a muddy section of 2-track, hunting in central Oregon. They tried everything (no winches) to get out, and I got called. We were able to put the Hi-Lift into the rear receiver and lift both rear tires enough to stuff some traction under and climb out. The undercarriage was so buried we couldn't find a place to put their factory jack. The track was going through the center of a large clearing, and I couldn't see anything to use for an anchor if we had a winch.

Hi-Lifts aren't the universal solution, but do have a place in recovery. Mine spends it's time being a heavy, expensive lantern hanger while we're camping...

Clutch

<---Pass
Last edited:
A buddy with a Colorado was having the same issue. He ended up going full custom. $$$$$$$. He's taking it to Armorology so it should be pretty sweet.

Yeah, I've researched that also, but am too cheap to pull the trigger. Metal-Tech is here in the area and I go past monthly to attend a shooting match. I've got to stop in and make the pitch about how they need to look at the Colorado for armor (even though it's and inferior, non-Toyota product :rolleyes:).

Wish us luck!

I won't hijack your thread, but my professional Toy mechanic little brother arrives in a few hours from the Midwest. Our mission is to resurrect the '89 4x4 Toy Pickup I parked a few years ago after the engine let go and puked all it's coolant into the crankcase. We're going to try to get it running and then pilot it back from WA to MI. My nephew has no transportation currently and has been looking for a "cheap" truck back there, so I told his Dad he can have the truck if we get it out of my yard.

This thing is/was the classic 5 spd 22RE IFS base 4x4, to which I added 33x10.50 BFG ATs, 4.88's, ARB air in the rear, Truetrac in front, mid lift rear leafs and heavier torsions, Firestone Riderite air, NWMP 13 gal aux gas tank, bumpers, f'glass bed height cap,... This was my daily commuter / hunting rig and got to 270K with just scheduled maint., until the catastrophic event.

My Nephew will be one lucky dude if we pull this off...

Clutch

<---Pass
Wish us luck!

I won't hijack your thread, but my professional Toy mechanic little brother arrives in a few hours from the Midwest. Our mission is to resurrect the '89 4x4 Toy Pickup I parked a few years ago after the engine let go and puked all it's coolant into the crankcase. We're going to try to get it running and then pilot it back from WA to MI. My nephew has no transportation currently and has been looking for a "cheap" truck back there, so I told his Dad he can have the truck if we get it out of my yard.

This thing is/was the classic 5 spd 22RE IFS base 4x4, to which I added 33x10.50 BFG ATs, 4.88's, ARB air in the rear, Truetrac in front, mid lift rear leafs and heavier torsions, Firestone Riderite air, NWMP 13 gal aux gas tank, bumpers, f'glass bed height cap,... This was my daily commuter / hunting rig and got to 270K with just scheduled maint., until the catastrophic event.

My Nephew will be one lucky dude if we pull this off...

Hijack away! This is what this thread is all about anyways...bunch of knuckleheads with easily distracted short attention spans...oh look a squirrel!

Good luck! Sounds like he is going to get a good rig.

phsycle

Adventurer
Speaking of bumpers @phsycle

Do like this, the SASed DCSB taint bad either. 1st gen...the best gen... :p

http://www.addictedoffroad.com/?fbclid=IwAR332srrobAAoYv05R07-6Lc7crPLWujN1NWEUT5APQfsC2e24QrteIJCcs

https://www.facebook.com/pg/AddictedOffroad/photos/?tab=album&album_id=691452717542743

View attachment 481905

The '01-04's are probably my second favorite body style. Harks back to the 80's trucks...round wheel arches, roundish headlights, and the grill has "teeth" similar to those HiLuxes.

View attachment 481917

No argument from me. I’ll always have a soft spot for first generation Tacoma’s and third-generation 4Runners. “Good ol days” of Toyota trucks

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
LOL, the 1st gens don't do much for me. It's like a kick in the nuts. It's trying too hard to look like it belongs in the series after 79-95 cosmetically but they neutered it. I have a soft spot for the 89-95 trucks of course, I think they look the most proportional.

I've owned at some point a 1984, 1991, 2001 and now a 2008 and gotta be honest the 2nd gen is gaining my favor. I don't long for my '91 as much as I did. That's only really changed this year, which is the 3rd year I've owned it. Started really using it and it's developed it's own history.

ETA: I should mention my 1st gen left a sour taste. I bought it used and wasn't aware of the extent of the frame rot issue and the one I got I never could ahead of the rust. Cleaned and welded the frame reinforcements only to find a rusted frozen LSPV. Replacing that I found a 2 inch hole had rusted through the floor of the bed and peeling back the bed liner was only exposing more cancer. I was exceptionally lucky finding my '91 and have been satisfied with my 2008 knowing what to look for before I bought it.

But it really helps that this happened recently. Finally.

IMG_0624_mid.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Well, our bias and preference for a specific generation probably is directly proportional to length of ownership, direct or by family/friend.

I get nostalgic at times but as we’ve all said before, past should be left in the past. Loving the 3rd gen and not going back. 1st gen Pickup and 1st gen Taco will live long, reliable, and good looking in my memory. I don’t want to buy another and taint that image.

Clutch

<---Pass
LOL, the 1st gens don't do much for me. It's like a kick in the nuts. It's trying too hard to look like it belongs in the series after 79-95 cosmetically but they neutered it. I have a soft spot for the 89-95 trucks of course, I think they look the most proportional.

I've owned at some point a 1984, 1991, 2001 and now a 2008 and gotta be honest the 2nd gen is gaining my favor. I don't long for my '91 as much as I did. That's only really changed this year, which is the 3rd year I've owned it. Started really using it and it's developed it's own history.

ETA: I should mention my 1st gen left a sour taste. I bought it used and wasn't aware of the extent of the frame rot issue and the one I got I never could ahead of the rust. Cleaned and welded the frame reinforcements only to find a rusted frozen LSPV. Replacing that I found a 2 inch hole had rusted through the floor of the bed and peeling back the bed liner was only exposing more cancer. I was exceptionally lucky finding my '91 and have been satisfied with my 2008 knowing what to look for before I bought it.

But it really helps that this happened recently. Finally.

View attachment 481920

Nest is looking good on there...not out as proportion as I thought it would be.

Yeah, you got bad example of 1st Gen...nothing worse than dealing with rust. Mine spent most of its' life in AZ so non-issue for me.

Well, our bias and preference for a specific generation probably is directly proportional to length of ownership, direct or by family/friend.

I get nostalgic at times but as we’ve all said before, past should be left in the past. Loving the 3rd gen and not going back. 1st gen Pickup and 1st gen Taco will live long, reliable, and good looking in my memory. I don’t want to buy another and taint that image.

It is definitely nostalgia...had this one the longest, has been on many an adventure...and continues to be. Every time I see another on the road, think to myself that is a good looking truck. I don't feel as attached to the '85 or the '92 I had.

The 3rd Gens are growing on me....love the interiors. Couple few running around here and I think "hey, that is pretty ************** looking" For some reason the grill doesn't look as massive in person that it does in pictures. Probably one of the few guys that like the "Cheese Grater" grill. I see them all the time on CL for cheap.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Nest is looking good on there...not out as proportion as I thought it would be.

Yeah, you got bad example of 1st Gen...nothing worse than dealing with rust. Mine spent most of its' life in AZ so non-issue for me.

It is definitely nostalgia...had this one the longest, has been on many an adventure...and continues to be. Every time I see another on the road, think to myself that is a good looking truck. I don't feel as attached the '85 or the '92 I had.

The 3rd Gens are growing on me....love the interiors. Couple few running around here and I think "hey, that is pretty ************** looking" For some reason the grill doesn't look as massive in person that it does in pictures. Probably one of the few guys that like the "Cheese Grater" grill. I see them all the time on CL for cheap.

I think the 1st gens have nice classic lines. Again, I like the 95-97 the best but 01-04 are nice as well.

I wasn’t 100% sold on the looks of the 3rd gen at first but it definitely grew on me. Although I’d say 12-15 Tacoma front ends look pretty sharp as well. In fact, had I found one for a good price, I’d have gone that route instead. But these dang Taco’s hold their value just too well!!

I swapped my grill out. I don’t like the Pro grills much. I don’t know what the fuss is about. I like the plain old OEM SR grill. Which is what I ended up getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven