Coleman Colorado Frankenstein Trailer Project

DblD

Adventurer
Be carefull on the aluminum. I just skinned my teardrop and it scratches very easy.

I'm open to other ideas. I wouldn't do a teardrop in anything but aluminum. The Colorado is a different story. I even considered galvanized sheet metal. I figure if I didn't like the looks of it I could just paint it. I've also been looking into painted aluminum sheets from stock car racing suppliers.

A military landing ladder would look cool on the rear.
What are the plans for the front deck beside the a/c unit?
Fab work looks great.

The front deck is about ten inches wide. I'm thinking about a underbody truck tool box. I have priced a 12" x 12" x 30" box with bottom hinge that would sit off center to the drivers side. This would give me some quickly accessible storage outside of the trailer for leveling jacks, wheel chocks, etc....

Hit a bit if a stumbling block with the floor. I had a line on a HDPE product that is used for semi trailer skirting. My supply has fallen through and I'm left searching for something different. The ribs in the trailer floor are the problem. They stick up about 1/4". The HDPE I found was 1/4" thick and I was going to cut strips to fill in and make a good level surface to start flooring.

Now I'm considering several different routes. I want something that is somewhat waterproof or weather resistant. I'm thinking maybe 3/4" marine grade plywood with some router work to accommodate the floor ribs. Not totally convinced that is the best solution.

Any ideas?

dd

FirerescuePW

You could drop the trailer off at your sheet metal guy's shop. He could measure and cut the pieces leaving no room for missinterpreting what you want. Panels could be labeled for you to install.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
You could wrap the panels in HD exterior sign grade vinyl? Stands up to a lot of abuse, UV stable and if you ever get bored of the colour, quick re-skin and you are GTG.

monk

I love my Coleman Colorado. You will probably need to replace the Evolution material used in the tent. I stitched in 10oz canvas. Also the frame can get bounced around pretty good offroading. You may need to beef up the connections or at least carry some spare bolts for the brackets. Looks Great!

Ozarker

Very nice trailer!

I'm going through similar planning options. Since road and off road hazards are difficult to predict the critical damage areas are more difficult to protect. Everything is a compromise, I could do the sides in plate steal but the weight creates all kinds of issues. Regardless of how thick plywood might be a loaded trailer sliding sideways into a rock ledge will suffer damage, from stress to the ply to punching a hole or cracking the panel. So, nothing is bullet proof, part of the fun taking risks. And, money is an object in most builds.

So I've been looking at what the pros do, the manufactures. Sheet aluminum seems to be king, but there are different grades some softer than others, I've not researched that yet. It also requires a master welder for best results, I don't care for the idea of screwing, bolting or riveting aluminum, but I suppose those are options, aluminum boats have rivets and I've seen 50 year old boats on the water. Adhesives are another option for light applications.

Hey, I woke up at 3 AM, but I will get to a conclusion. I'll get to it.

The Jumping Jack trailer is very similar to what I have, my frame is heavier, but it has expanded steel on framed sides, typical tilt lawn tractor/bike hauler with a drive up tail gate that locks in 3 positions. Don't recall the gauge of the expanded sheets, but it's stout. My thought is lighter ply box with a good epoxy paint inside the frame and expanded steel outside the frame painted the same color. The 1 1/2 inch gap gives some space to protect the box. It's also a great space for mud and dirt to build up, so frequent cleaning would be necessary.

The expanded steel has taken some hits that would dent sheet metals or cracked wood and bounced back in form. The lighter expanded steel seems to stretch and become wavy on some trailers, drive up ramps, mine has not, but covered sides don't take that kind of use and at that point it can be cut off and replaced in a damaged area or section.

It's certainly a different look, not a slick camper but a more utility looking. Might paint it with bed liner stuff.

Wonder what gauge would make it bear proof? Brown bears, maybe not grizzles. :)

As to the floor, I have steel plate. I'll have plywood as a box floor with treated wood skids about 3/4 inch thick on the bottom holding the floor off the steel. I'm thinking about using cork flooring inside, softer walk, insulates, easy to clean, sealed it's water proof.

Last thought, steel trailers with aluminum parts, what about electrolysis issues between metals and electrical grounds?

Last edited:

DblD

Adventurer
Last thought, steel trailers with aluminum parts, what about electrolysis issues between metals and electrical grounds?

Ozarker,

Being an old Land Rover guy I'm painfully familiar with the issue of electrolysis. I've talked to a couple buddies who have built similar trailers and have utilized a 3M adhesive product the negates the chemical reaction between the dissimilar metals. When the time comes, I'll have to jump deeper into the electrolysis challenge.

Not much progress has taken place over the past few weekends. The trifecta of lack of funds, lack of time, and brutal August heat has NOT helped move this project along.

We did get out this weekend and camped in the Coleman for the first time. We have always been tent campers, but I have to say this being up off the ground is fantastic. The dog even enjoyed it more - or so he says.:)

1378688710_photo__2_.jpg

1378688750_photo.jpg

Hopefully this was the motivation I needed to get his thing ready for some fall camping.

dd

DblD

Adventurer
The subflooring is in and just got the skin back from the sheet metal guy.

You could drop the trailer off at your sheet metal guy's shop. He could measure and cut the pieces leaving no room for misinterpreting what you want. Panels could be labeled for you to install.
Excellent idea FirerescuePW

Went ahead and took the trailer to the sheet metal guys and glad I did. Measuring and detailed drawing can only go so far. It was way easier to take the trailer to the pros and tell them exactly what I wanted at the end of the day.

My original plan was to use aluminum for the skins. When I got the bid for aluminum, I quickly changed my mind and used 24 gauge cold rolled with a paint prep coating. I’m thinking about painting it green to match the Tacoma or maybe grey like the original Colorado. Any thoughts on this?

Hope to get some time this weekend to work on new seat bases and flooring. Nights are getting cooler and the sun is setting earlier. Feeling the pressure to get this thing finished and go camping.

Pictures are test fitting the body panels.

1380248120_p9260808.jpg

1380247973_p9260803.jpg

1380248065_p9260807.jpg

dd

DblD

Adventurer
Thanks Mark,

Green it is. :)

Although you really can’t tell from the pictures.

My original plan was for box for the pop-up to be skinned in aluminum. When I got the estimate from the sheet metal guy my aluminum balloon was quickly deflated. I had the sheet metal bent up and a couple guys that I work with volunteered to paint it for me. I went back and forth trying to decide what color would look the best with the grey tent material. With Marks input, I decided to paint the box the same Timberland Mica color as the Tacoma. In the pictures and next to the truck it looks black or a very dark green. I would eventually like to replace the tent fabric with tan or kaki so I think the dark green will look good. Got the sides drilled, riveted and glued in place. I decided to rebuild the interior seat boxes. The originals are made from what seems to be very flimsy ¼in. plywood with sheet metal bracing. I’m rebuilding the seat boxes in ¾in. plywood. Added weight I know but the security of knowing I’m not going to crush the seats is worth it. Here are a few pictures of recent progress.

1384041369_pb090810.jpg

1384041464_pb090813.jpg

1384041533_pb090819.jpg

1384041593_pb090822.jpg

dd

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I’ve had a eye on the military trailer, I believe it’s a M101a ¾ ton flatbed chassis.

dd

I like where this is headed! Going to be a cool build.
Dropping the weight with the 116A3 will be easy as you have stated your are removing the majority of heavy stuff.

So is the Military donor a 101 or 116?

I realize it's winter and the holidays are upon us, but have you made any progress? Have you figured a solution for the floor?

Found my Colorado.. :)

CLynn85

Explorer
Very cool build, I'm not a huge popup fan but loving your overall build strategy!

If you don't mind me asking, what did the axle set you back? I might be ordering one soon and wouldn't mind a sanity check.

DblD

Adventurer
So is the Military donor a 101 or 116?

I realize it's winter and the holidays are upon us, but have you made any progress? Have you figured a solution for the floor?

Winter has slowed progress to a halt. I have disassembled the Colorado and it now resides in the no-mans-land between our house and the neighbors. The shell built up on the M101a is about ready for the tent structure to be transferred over. If I can catch a couple warm weekends in January or February, I’ll be ready for Spring camping.

I’ve decided on vinyl plank flooring. It will be laid over the ¾” marine grade plywood. I’ve rebuilt the base for the seats and have allowed for storage to be accessible while the tent is folded down.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the axle set you back? I might be ordering one soon and wouldn't mind a sanity check.

The axle has been the single most expensive item on the trailer. It ran right just over $400.00 with no brakes. If I had it to do over again; I would not have ordered such a heavy duty axle. The replacement axle is rated for 6,000lbs. For some reason I had in my mind I wanted the axle tube to match the original 3” diameter military one. This is way overkill and a dumb thing to do. I should have just gone with a 2000lbs axle.

OverlandZJ - Would love to see some pictures of the newly acquired Colorado. I'm needing some motivation to fend off the cold and get this thing camp worthy.

dd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven