Coleman Safari Rack at Costco for $75

nvprospector

Adventurer
You can’t beat $75 no matter how you look at it. From the image it looks like it does have substantial metal to take some abuse. Even if it does not work you can always give it away. Donate it to a person like the one in the image and maybe you will see the same dorky smile the model has. :hehe:

bootzilla

Adventurer
You wanna talk about perfect timing - I was just saying in the car on the way home how I wished I could find an inexpensive roof basket long enough to fit my rack rails so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth between a Surco rack, rails w/cargo box, and nothing at all (for parking garage) - and bingo - I get home and see this!!

I just ordered one, and will give a full report on construction quality and general usefulness.

Hopefully the mounts will fit on my aero-style crossbars without any problem.

Bonus on the price - shipping is free (don't opt for express shipping - it is more than the basket itself!), although they will charge you tax, and I had to pay a whopping 3.75 extra since I'm not a member.

chet

island Explorer
I have the exact rack. its made by www.sportrack.com they rebrand them for Coleman, Canadian tire etc.

Its a pretty good rack. It bolts together in two pieces which I thought would be weak but its been pretty good. They make an extension kit for it that lengthens it out.

for $75 its pretty good deal.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
Finally talked the wife into doing some camping so I guess I need some more cargo space to help carry her stuff so I ordered one as well. I've spent $80 on worse things before.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Got mine today.

Mine finally came today. It is exactly what I wanted! Not real heavy duty, but it should do exactly what I wanted a rack for. If only my cap would get back from the body shop (for painting) I can figure out the mounting. Thanks for posting this deal up...

Jay in NY

02 DC waiting for sliders to get welded on, cap to be painted, and bumper to get enough damage to convince my wife I need a ARB...

2 months till IMUSA, and 2 months and 2 weeks till our Nova Scotia adventure!

bootzilla

Adventurer
I'd love to give a review or some pics of this rack....still waiting for it, though. Supposed to arrive next Monday....glad I'm not in a hurry for it - also a good thing that the shipping is free :camping: :Astrologist:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I have looked at that at the Coleman outlet store. Seems to be well built. I'd pimp it on my truck if my sand ladders would fit in the bottom side by side.

TeleScooby

Adventurer
mtnbike28,
Can you tell if there would be a good way to mount a spare in this thing? That's the main reason I'm looking for a basket, I'm going to a full size spare as soon as my oem tires die and I upsize...

Thanks!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
yes

Telescooby,

Yes, I think a spare would be fine, either strapped down or a floor could easily be mounted on the cross bars of the rack, spreading the weight.

Is this for the Forester?

TeleScooby

Adventurer
mtnbike28 said:
Is this for the Forester?

Yup...the spare tire well is just the right size if you run the stock tire size, but then you lose the storage organizer and support for the cargo floor. And since I almost always have two dogs back there, I need that support...SO, the spare's gonna have to go up top once I to to a larger tire.

Thanks for the info, think I'll order one up next paycheck...

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I bought one.

It arrived three days earlier than expected. It is just the right size and looks really good. The mounts work great with the Bravada rack that I have on my S-10 Crew cab.
It has a slightly textured satin finish. The bars appear to be about the thickness of conduit. The bars are tack welded, not welded all around.
I think it is plenty sturdy for a light weight basket. I would not be afraid to stack it with stuff to be tied down. It mentioned a 110 lb rating. As long as you do not exceed the factory racks rating I think that amount would work just fine.

I am not a real fan of baskets. This one had a price that seemed really good. I think it was a good deal, we will see how it holds up.

It goes down the road quietly. No howling or vibration.

Thank you for the "heads-up" on this one. I like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3