Coleman Safari Rack at Costco for $75

Photog

Explorer
My rack is a Black Widow. Except for the fairing mounts, I believe it is the same basket. And there is an extension available for it also.
roof-top-basket-4.jpg

Link to Basket: http://www.discountramps.com/roof-rack-basket.htm

go4aryd

Adventurer
Great info. I've been looking on/off for a couple days. Costco only has about 250 racks left in stock....I'm guessing that Thule is closing that competion basket off the market - and keeping the hitch rack line I keep seeing on all the SportRack dealer sites.

I did notice that the price for the extension is more than the Costco rack!! Too funny. Guess I'll have to look at mounting a double rack instead....hmmm (or do more with less -who would ever think of THAT!).

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
That is a great find.

It looks like the bottom of the basket has a different layout than the Black Widow. It may fit; I would want to do a test fit first.

If anyone in my area has one of the Costco Sport Racks, I have the Black Widow basket extension, if you want to test fit.

go4aryd

Adventurer
Is the front of the Coleman/SportRack basket angled, like the Black Widow basket, or is the front edge of the basket vertical, with only the fairing angled? It appears from the pix to be angled.

Also, Is the faring the 44" (longer side rather than the short side)? Wondering if I could mount it sideways as a different option?

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I really like the coleman one, but only with the extension. Maybe its time to spend a long weekend bending and cutting. Blah.

Maddmatt

Explorer
go4aryd said:
Is the front of the Coleman/SportRack basket angled, like the Black Widow basket, or is the front edge of the basket vertical, with only the fairing angled? It appears from the pix to be angled.

Also, Is the faring the 44" (longer side rather than the short side)? Wondering if I could mount it sideways as a different option?

Front of the basket in angled on mine. I never used the fairing, so no help there.

DenCo40

Adventurer
go4aryd said:

It looks like you could mount it just about any way you want. The front and back are angled. But the front has the attach holes for the fairing....

spikemd

Explorer
Coleman safari rack back! NEW LINK

Costco sold out of them a few weeks ago, but I checked last night and they are back. Order them quickly though, because they are a special purchase and will sell out again. I also read somewhere that Thule bought Sport Rack, who makes these, so I don't know if they are just getting rid of old inventory or what. I wish the rack was longer. unfortunately, the extension cost more than the whole rack! For the price ($75), you can't beat it...

Here is the new link b/c its a different catalog number:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11219524

Will post pics when I receive it. They shipped it the same day and the $75 includes shipping.

Last edited:

kai38

Explorer
Anyone have a picture of this rack mounted on a DBL cab Tacoma?
Right now I'm thinking of cutting down the roof rack I kept from my FJ80 Land Cruiser to use on the Tacoma.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3